What's your favorite/recommended .22 handgun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    He must have had Ruger on the brain . . .
    I was tempted to buy a Ruger 22/45 "Lite" - but it was so light it didn't feel like a firearm and I'm old school.

earlybirdnj

Aug 1, 2013
    +1 on the ruger MKll...put an ultradot red dot scope on mine...so accurate
    that it gets boring to shoot.

tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    I love me neos, was shooting it away yesterday. Cheap, accurate, VERY easy take down and cleaning, etc.

My only grumble is a lack of magazines over 10 rounds for 22 pistols. Switching from my glock with 17 or 33 rd mag to the 10 rd neos is somewhat disappointing...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    I started with a High Standard Duramatic because I was too cheap to buy a Colt Woodsman or a Colt Diamondback. I sold it because it wasn't sexy enough and bought a S&W M-63 with a 4" barrel. Don't ignore HS, they were the Naval Academy's target pistol for years. The Smith was a nice gun for plinking but not for serious paper punching.

Bought a target barrel Ruger Mk2. I have customized it with target grips, new sites and mods to make the trigger pull easier. The Ruger doesn't like to get dirty especially with Remington ammo. You can modify the MK-3 to get rid of the mag disconnect issue.

Got my wife a Walther P-22. It shoots everything for as long as I care to shoot. Site radius is not as good as the Ruger. The front site lost it's white bead. Walther sent me a new front site for free.

Since you want to use it at the range, get a 6" barrel. The action is what appeals to you, a Ruger single six, the Smith 617 double action, or one of the Rugers or Brownings previously recommended.

If you don't like it, or even if you do, you can buy a different gun.

History, at least as determined by Gunbroker.com, has determined that I was ahead of my time in my appreciation of the Diamondback. People they were Colt 22's not lugers! But as I write this, I think I NEED a Woodsman.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I have a Ruger Mark I, II, III, and SR22. I have an M&P22. I also have a few 22 revolvers. In my opinion, you cannot beat the Ruger Marks.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    I have twins, S&W model 17 .22 cal and model 19 .357 revolvers. Both 6" barreled target models. Wife has Walther P-22 and Bersa Thunder Plus .380.

I like both of the .22s. The other two are great step ups from the .22s

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

RAC

Mar 10, 2011
    MD
    If your looking for accuracy , than go w/ one of the ruger marks or browning buckmarks .

HogCommander

Aug 10, 2013
    Texas Hill Country
    Have a 6" barrel Sig-Hammerli Trailside...love that gun! Bought it new about 10 years ago...can get 'em used or buy new under new name "X-Esse." Very light & accurate. Mine is set up for Bullseye with a scope rail & red dot sight.

Wifey has a 5.5" Buckmark that is also very accurate. Trigger is fairly heavy but it's been a very reliable gun.

Almost ordered a 22 conversion today from Marvel Precision. Only a matter of time :)

miben

Sep 29, 2007
    NC formerly Eldersburg MD
    I'm sure some will disagree, but 22 ammo is pretty clean. You can disassemble the ruger once a year/season for a thorough cleaning and it will be fine. You can run patches through the barrel after a day at the range. When you do disassemble it, just follow the instructions step by step and you will be fine. My advice would be to buy one of the top recommendations based on price, you will want more pistols once you get familiar with the 22. In other words, don't spend so much on a .22 that it will delay your next purchase. A 22 was my first pistol and it was a ruger mark I, still have it almost 40 years later.

LGood48

Ultimate Member
    Feb 3, 2011
    Cecil County
    Ruger Mk III 22/45 Target. As stated above, I swab the barrel after each range trip and take it down when it gets too cold for me to go shoot (private outdoor range).

aquashooter

Apr 17, 2013
    Monkey Co
    Have MII, MIII 22/45, and SR22. Older MII with slab side bull barrel is most accurate. 22/45 and SR22 are factory threaded to take my Sparrow. SR22 is super light and feels real comfortable in my hand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom