• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    IANAL but even if its pre 13 receiver, it can't transfer to you unless its an inheritance
    AK Pistol to AK SBR is the only known path I believe.

JTH20

Feb 18, 2013
    MD
    Plus people may be less willing to help nowadays due to the ATF guidance preventing non-FFL's from performing gunsmithing for others. It pretty much ended build parties.

Saml

I survived the rapture
    Nov 27, 2016
    HoCo(lumbia)
    IANAL but even if its pre 13 receiver, it can't transfer to you unless its an inheritance
    AK Pistol to AK SBR is the only known path I believe.

Plus people may be less willing to help nowadays due to the ATF guidance preventing non-FFL's from performing gunsmithing for others. It pretty much ended build parties.

Thanks for your replies guys; sad state of affairs huh? Really makes me wish I had gotten into this years ago.. maybe I will delve into whatever info I can find , invest in some tools and try a pistol someday.

In an slightly unrelated topic, what about other parts kits? Such as FALs , PSLs , etc? Able to build those in this most wonderful state of Md?

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    You can not build any banned rifle or pistol. Those are two different lists however. AK rifles are banned. AK pistols/SBRs are not. Uzi and MP5K are banned assault pistols however. It doesn't make sense so don't try to figure out why. The laws are a mess so just research carefully. FAL is on the banned rifle list. Don't know where the PSL falls.

Robert2888

Nov 5, 2013
    Westmoreland,VA
    Part kits are getting way more expensive and harder to find. That said anyone that is a VA resident that would like to get together I’m definitely interested.

Wynter

Jul 27, 2010
    Sykesville, MD
    I have a pre-'13 receiver from Nodak Spuds that I have been itching to build out. I'm thinking SBR, but need to start the paperwork. My question is how to navigate 922r compliance? Does that apply in this case? I have no idea if it applies.

jrhzn

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 17, 2017
    You can not build any banned rifle or pistol. Those are two different lists however. AK rifles are banned. AK pistols/SBRs are not. Uzi and MP5K are banned assault pistols however. It doesn't make sense so don't try to figure out why. The laws are a mess so just research carefully. FAL is on the banned rifle list. Don't know where the PSL falls.

Posted from a different thread: "according to the ATF it is legal to build an unserialized firearm at home for personal use, you just cant sell it or give it to anyone. Marylanders build firearms from from an 80% receivers all day long and never serialize them, so that got me thinking. How would anyone know the build date of a home made firearm from an 80% blank regardless of the type of firearm, banned or not? As far as I can tell the MD Firearms Safety Act of 2013 prohibits: "transporting, possessing, selling, offering for sale, transferring, purchasing, or receiving any assault weapon" It does not say "prohibits the manufacture" of any assault weapon (which by federal law I believe you can do).

In addition the 2013 firearms safety act allows a person who lawfully possessed, has a purchase order for, or completed an application to purchase an assault long gun or a copycat weapon before October 1, 2013, to continue to possess and transport the assault long gun or copycat weapon. So, that has me scratching my head... The federal laws of building a firearm at home are clear, and since a home-build firearm does not need to be registered how would anyone know if that firearm was build prior to 10/01/2013?"

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Posted from a different thread: "according to the ATF it is legal to build an unserialized firearm at home for personal use, you just cant sell it or give it to anyone. Marylanders build firearms from from an 80% receivers all day long and never serialize them, so that got me thinking. How would anyone know the build date of a home made firearm from an 80% blank regardless of the type of firearm, banned or not? As far as I can tell the MD Firearms Safety Act of 2013 prohibits: "transporting, possessing, selling, offering for sale, transferring, purchasing, or receiving any assault weapon" It does not say "prohibits the manufacture" of any assault weapon (which by federal law I believe you can do).

In addition the 2013 firearms safety act allows a person who lawfully possessed, has a purchase order for, or completed an application to purchase an assault long gun or a copycat weapon before October 1, 2013, to continue to possess and transport the assault long gun or copycat weapon. So, that has me scratching my head... The federal laws of building a firearm at home are clear, and since a home-build firearm does not need to be registered how would anyone know if that firearm was build prior to 10/01/2013?"

They wouldn’t. It would still, however, be illegal and it’s not the smartest thing to post it here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom