• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Lube, I think you meant. Yes I do. I use 50/50 deer rendered fat and beeswax. Melt and double swish the wad through in tweezers and toss in aluminum foil. Get a whole bunch and bake at 200 for 15 minutes for it to wick all throughout and even out. Deer fat is rather hard so its is not sloppy at all. I think dry they might burn and you want some lube to melt to help the next rounds and mix the powder residue. I am so glad to be over that over the ball, monkey ***, crap that they call bore butter or Crisco. Monkey ***, haha, That's what we used to call wire lube in my old wire pulling days.

I did a video here.Not sure how to embed rumble yet. I dropped YT like a rock. Touched on it slightly.
    https://rumble.com/embed/v9q5wf/?pub=6y3xt

Probably make a video for making wads but I am looking for a 7/16 drill press cutter. The hammer punch is annoying to cut the wads. I'm looking for better ways to cut them.

Horseman308

Jan 27, 2016
    Lube, I think you meant. Yes I do. I use 50/50 deer rendered fat and beeswax. Melt and double swish the wad through in tweezers and toss in aluminum foil. Get a whole bunch and bake at 200 for 15 minutes for it to wick all throughout and even out. Deer fat is rather hard so its is not sloppy at all. I think dry they might burn and you want some lube to melt to help the next rounds and mix the powder residue. I am so glad to be over that over the ball, monkey ***, crap that they call bore butter or Crisco. Monkey ***, haha, That's what we used to call wire lube in my old wire pulling days.

I did a video here.Not sure how to embed rumble yet. I dropped YT like a rock. Touched on it slightly.
    https://rumble.com/embed/v9q5wf/?pub=6y3xt

Probably make a video for making wads but I am looking for a 7/16 drill press cutter. The hammer punch is annoying to cut the wads. I'm looking for better ways to cut them.
    Thanks. Yes, I meant lube. I'll probably try the Emmert's I use for my BPCR's.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    I made some Emmerts lube a few years back and lubed REAL bullets in a pan. I am assuming you need a softer lube, or less of it? I couldn't seat the third bullet on the first time out. Had to use a puller on the bullet and a vise on the ramrod to get it out. I stopped lubing REALs right then and using wads and never touched Emmerts lube again. It was building up in the barrel and only 180 degree water got it out.

Not sure if I did something wrong or it was the wrong application or what, but it didn't work out for me.

Horseman308

Jan 27, 2016
    Good to know. I've only used it in the .45-70 cartridges I load for my Sharps, and those bullets have big ole' grease grooves. I've used straight crisco with good results in my c&b wads. Looks like it'll need some experimentation.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    Any one made any for 50 caliber? My 1/2 dowel for 44 calibler just won't work for 50. Bought a 5/8" dowel and going to attempt to make from paper wrappers for patched round balls and lee REAL's with a felt wad under them.

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    The wife wanted to power wash the patio so no hunting and while I’m supporting her I made four paper tubes and got 65 grains of 2f and a round ball and patch in two to test and 80 grains of 777 with a felt wad and 240 grain lee real lubed in the other for my daughter in the in

The round patches they sell will not work in these. I got some 1” square cotton patches I deer lubed and the corners on them make this possible. Basically ball it up to a tip and grab the tip with my tweezers and push it down in the tube. The round pre made patches always fell off trying to insert them. Even with chap stick it wouldn’t stay

When the wife stops I’ll test them out.

Attachments

• 811F2F15-F994-455A-B0A3-7EDF5D30B892.jpg
      811F2F15-F994-455A-B0A3-7EDF5D30B892.jpg
      70.2 KB · Views: 105
    • B3A2F617-CDFF-4F8F-9181-20ADEB50786A.jpg
      B3A2F617-CDFF-4F8F-9181-20ADEB50786A.jpg
      91.2 KB · Views: 106

Horseman308

Jan 27, 2016
    I made some for my .44 Remmy with curling paper, 3f powder, flet wads lubes with melted Emmert's, and .457 round balls. Making them was a gigantic PITA. I really had problems getting the wad to stay in the correct position.

However, loading and shooting them worked great. They dropped right into the chambers and seated just fine. When fired there was a little charred paper in each chamber of the cylinder, but the ashes blew out pretty easily.

If I get really serious about making these, I'll probably get a .44 bullet mold from Eras Gone. It has a heeled bullet with a large grease groove, so there's no need for a wad. In the meantime, I'll have to just figure out some way to load the lubed wads easier.

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    So I shot the curling paper cartridges today and they shot fine. This American pioneer powder is no where near clean as the bottle says. It’s nice that I can just clean the gun with hot sink water and not boiling water like black powder. Since it is not sulfer based.

The first six shots loaded great and quick. Trying to reload and the dirty cylinders didn’t seem to want to let the next paper cartridge slide in and really had to force it. It just felt wrong. Anyone have this issue and a solution?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom