• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    Hi, I just received my M4-22 today and overall look, feel is fantastic. I do however have an 'issue' with the fit of the upper to the lower and was wondering if anyone else had this or heard of it before and/or a fix. The upper has a torsional rocking from side to side. Front to back it seems solid, rotating (as looking at the top down) from right to left using front pivot/take down pin as axis it seems fine, however twisting the upper along the axis of the bore leaves something to be desired. It seems as if the two pivot points and the long pivot point at the front take down pin allows rotation. This just doesn't seem right to me. I'm not a big AR fan but I've never had one with that problem. I have had to use a red wedge to take up some slack in upper to lower fitment but never this kind of issue. I want to take it to the range and test it for precision and accuracy before I contact them but wanted to get the feedback from the brain trust here too.
    I'm not knocking the product just seeking knowledge. The heft and feel is great. If it shoots well and feeds the ammo I have then this might just be a moot point.
    TIA!

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    Hmmm, both of mine fit so tight that I need "assistance" (a punch) to push out the pins. I am not sure if it will impact precision at all since the upper is fully integrated but please let us know how it shoots or check with Tippmann.

Mike_mds

Oct 11, 2020
    Ceciltucky
    So I just opened up the gun safe and pulled out my Tippmann M4-22 and my Savage MSR. With one hand on the pistol grip and one on the barrel heat shield I tried twisting both.

It’s difficult to describe the results but if I had to quantify it I would say the Tippmann felt like it twisted as you described about 1 mm. The Savage felt like it twisted about half as much as the Tippmann.

That said, there is no way I could fit any kind of wedge between the upper and lower on the Tippmann. I’m a big guy and was twisting pretty hard and there was nothing like the gapping you are describing. There is no visible sign of any misfit on the Tippmann between the parts. Fit and finish on my rifle is outstanding considering the price point.

I would contact Tippmann and talk to them before I did anything else with the rifle. Mine arrived with the finger pull portion of the charging handle broken off during shipping and I called them and had a new one within a few days. Customer service was excellent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    So I just opened up the gun safe and pulled out my Tippmann M4-22 and my Savage MSR. With one hand on the pistol grip and one on the barrel heat shield I tried twisting both.

It’s difficult to describe the results but if I had to quantify it I would say the Tippmann felt like it twisted as you described about 1 mm. The Savage felt like it twisted about half as much as the Tippmann.

That said, there is no way I could fit any kind of wedge between the upper and lower on the Tippmann. I’m a big guy and was twisting pretty hard and there was nothing like the gapping you are describing. There is no visible sign of any misfit on the Tippmann between the parts. Fit and finish on my rifle is outstanding considering the price point.

I would contact Tippmann and talk to them before I did anything else with the rifle. Mine arrived with the finger pull portion of the charging handle broken off during shipping and I called them and had a new one within a few days. Customer service was excellent.

Thanks for going to the trouble of looking at yours for me. I really appreciate that. I'll probably call the in the AM.

Mike_mds

Oct 11, 2020
    Ceciltucky
    Thanks for going to the trouble of looking at yours for me. I really appreciate that. I'll probably call the in the AM.

There is never a need to thank me for fondling any part of the arsenal. LOL

Keep in mind that they are stupid busy...took me a couple of calls to get through but was worth the effort. Let us know how things work out for you...

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    One of the kids on the SASP team has one of these, and in my experience, it has been rock solid with the 10rd mags. Quite impressed.

toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    I got the the range this week after receiving it back from Tippman for warranty work to repair the rotational looseness my original had (they ended up replacing the lower). I installed a Timney 2 stage trigger (it dropped right in) and a Holosun sight. At 50 yds I shot a 10 shot group with Wolf MT ammo that you could cover with a penny (about 1.5 MOA (smaller than the 2MOA dot in the center of the sight)). Figured that wasn't bad for a first outing with new gun, trigger, ammo and sighting system.

All in all I'm pleased with the results, so far.

Mike_mds

Oct 11, 2020
    Ceciltucky
    Nice...if work ever slows down I’m going to take some time off and get mine to the range. I bought some more of the 25 round mags for it a couple months ago just in case Sleepy Joe got any traction on the high capacity mag ban.

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    Great to hear ToppKatt! That’s more like what mine will do. Sorry you had to send it back but it sounds like they did right by you in replacing the lower.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom