• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CombatAK

Hooligan #12
    Sep 1, 2015
    Cresaptown
    I put a Taylors/Howell on my Ruger Old Army and it is great. I just always thought that putting a conversion cylinder that costs more than the gun was crazy but............I wouldn't mind having one for my 1858 Army.

IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County
    Taylor & Company just put their cylinders on sale. I got a 45LC cylinder for my Pietta 5.5" 1858 for $205 + shipping. Regular price is $240.

IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County
    I've had a chance to try out the conversion cylinder with some very light round ball loads. I'm not sure that i used enough powder as I saw some vertical stringing. Fun to shoot though.
    Bullets that I ordered back in November finally shipped so I can try and reload some cowboy loads soon.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    I don't care about 5 vs 6 shots. I like being able to Hammer stop between all rounds, instead of just the empty chamber.

45LC is good, I only thought 45acp as it might be cheaper but that is only in modern ammo and not low pressure cowboy ammo.

This one
    https://www.oldsouthfirearms.com/howellconversions-1858remingtonpietta45cal5shotlc.aspx

Maybe I'll buy a sherrif model next year in steel and get the Kirst Konverter for it.

Assuming that someone has them in stock next year. :rolleyes:

Just ordered (and was shipped today) an 1860 Sheriff's model in .44.
    Now sold out.

1851 Navy .4 w/ 5-1/2" (steel frame/casehardened) barrel still available, IF that interests you.

https://www.natchezss.com/pietta-18...ened-checkered-walnut-grips-44-cal-5-1-2.html

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Those prices are getting crazy. Last year they were $199.

Still, less than $250 and available, is what I went after.

I bought an 1860 Army (Uberti) last year, when the Pietta 1851 Navy (.44) wasn't available. (There's just 'something' about octagonal barrels that draw me in!)

I've watched availability on the 1851 Navy in .44 and a couple of others, since this craziness started, and this was the first I've seen any of them in stock.

So, I bought the Pietta 1851 Navy in .44 and the 1860 Army "Sheriff" in .44.
    I had the 1851 Navy w/ 5-1/2" barrel in 'my cart', but took it out.
    I'll get one of those, next time around.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    So, I took the Pietta 58 with conversion cylinder for 45 colt with me today and took 10 shots at 2 targets at 25 yards.
    My formula that I built the loads are commercial .452 RN from Master cast. I build almost 400 rounds nearly 5 years ago and this is I think the last box.
    5.5gr Trailboss and it chrono'd around 775fps, but the spread was pretty all over the place though from 802-739fps.
    It grouped about 5-6" at 25 yards but was pretty close to point of aim from a rest. I never did much work on this load for accuracy. I had just gone by the book then my notes say I chrono'd them at 780fps average.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom