• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sev89

Dreams about cheese
    Nov 4, 2010
    Anatomy Park
    Hokay, over the last few months, I've been acquiring the parts needed to build an sbr fal. I've got pretty much everything I need at this point, albeit, stored in separate locations for the obvious reason. Problem is, with the election having gone the way it did, is there even a point in building the thing anymore?

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Have you bought high quality hearing protection?

Those things are LOUD.

Sev89

Dreams about cheese
    Nov 4, 2010
    Anatomy Park
    Have you bought high quality hearing protection?

Those things are LOUD.

So I've been told, decent ear pro is on the to-do list. Part of me would like to try and get/make a suppressor that could survive being mount on an 11 inch 30 cal barrel.... For craps and the gigs of course probably would do exactly nothing for sound suppression.

C.Alls

Nov 9, 2013
    I've never understood why anyone would want to do an SBR with the travel restrictions and such. I go the route of building a good form 1 can and pin and welding it to the short barrel to make the OAL 16"+. Then it's a one stamp "rifle" and you didn't have to pin a $1k suppressor to the barrel to accomplish it.

You could easily build an 8" form 1 that would turn that sbr/rifle into a much more pleasant shooting gun.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I've never understood why anyone would want to do an SBR with the travel restrictions and such. I go the route of building a good form 1 can and pin and welding it to the short barrel to make the OAL 16"+. Then it's a one stamp "rifle" and you didn't have to pin a $1k suppressor to the barrel to accomplish it.

You could easily build an 8" form 1 that would turn that sbr/rifle into a much more pleasant shooting gun.

Won’t work. It would still be a FAL rifle if the suppressor is permanently attached. The receiver has to be a pistol or SBR to build a system that is MD legal.

Sev89

Dreams about cheese
    Nov 4, 2010
    Anatomy Park
    Won’t work. It would still be a FAL rifle if the suppressor is permanently attached. The receiver has to be a pistol or SBR to build a system that is MD legal.

I failed to mention I live up in VT, The stupidity of MD has no effect on this build.

C.Alls

Nov 9, 2013

Missed that, and to be honest I'm not that well versed apparently on the definition of an FAL rifle. Google was a little helpful but I'd love an education if you had the time?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Missed that, and to be honest I'm not that well versed apparently on the definition of an FAL rifle. Google was a little helpful but I'd love an education if you had the time?

In Maryland, the FAL rifle is banned. The banned list is only a list of rifles. You can have a FAL pistol. A pistol has no stock. In MD, an SBR is considered a pistol. An SBR must have a barrel less than 16”. If you don’t have the lower registered as an SBR, an integrally suppressed upper that has a barrel of 16+ inches (if the suppressor is permanently attached) means you are technically building a FAL rifle.

I hope that answers your question.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    You guys can't hunt with suppressors, correct?

Unfortunately. Doesn’t make a bit sense
    Are you in Delaware?

You 'CAN' hunt in Merryland with a can.

***I would not use an 'oil filter' for any full power 7.62 SBR. I would go with a sealed(commercial) suppressor. A good portion of that blast will occur inside the can.

C.Alls

Nov 9, 2013
    Are you in Delaware?

You 'CAN' hunt in Merryland with a can.

***I would not use an 'oil filter' for any full power 7.62 SBR. I would go with a sealed(commercial) suppressor. A good portion of that blast will occur inside the can.

Form 1 cans have come a long way since the day of "oil filter" adapters. I could put together a parts list of solvent trap parts that could easily handle anything an SBR 7.62 could throw at it. The current wait time for a form 1 approval is around 27 days.

C.Alls

Nov 9, 2013
    In Maryland, the FAL rifle is banned. The banned list is only a list of rifles. You can have a FAL pistol. A pistol has no stock. In MD, an SBR is considered a pistol. An SBR must have a barrel less than 16”. If you don’t have the lower registered as an SBR, an integrally suppressed upper that has a barrel of 16+ inches (if the suppressor is permanently attached) means you are technically building a FAL rifle.

I hope that answers your question.

Definitely helped. I've read the regulations for Maryland many times but I usually end up with more questions than answers when I finish lol....

JTH20

Feb 18, 2013
    MD
    I wish i picked up a FAL before the ban. I've kicked around the idea of a 15.9" barrel SBR FAL, but everything I've read says the gas system is finicky on barrels under 18" so I've never pursued it.

I'm curious to hear how it goes. Are you doing a kit build, or starting with a pistol?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Hmm, one Para version of the FAL had a 17.2" barrel. I wonder if that included the flash suppressor.

A 15.95" ( :D ) barrel is not THAT much shorter.

And a one could use a long flash suppressor, that the first inch or two was solid.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I built an AR-308 SBR with a 10.5" barrel. It's definitely loud, no mistake about it. I didn't find it so loud as to be unusable, even indoors.

I have a pre-ban heavy barrel FAL. It's OK. I don't find myself taking it out too frequently due to weight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom