• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    OK, my CMP Garand is a SA 3,09 million serial number which I think is July '44?

The gas cylinder has the funky light zinc parkerizing. The sight adjustments seem rather sloppy. I will probably have Charlie fix that.

The receiver is clean and unpitted from corrosion as far as I can tell. Nice wood but needs to soak up some linseed oil.

Pics tomorrow.

The gas cylinders are stainless steel, which was a New Thing back then. It was a challenge to darken that stainless, and they ended up using a process called Dulite bluing. The Dulite tended to wear off though, so you'll see a lot of WWII Garands with shiny gas cylinders. It was a problem in combat.

I think that must be what you're seeing.

Trbo6gn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    Harford Co.
    So I just received notification that my M1’s shipped and will be arriving tomorrow. The only issue is that my credit card hasn’t been charged. Has anyone received their rifle before their credit card was hit?

bigmancrisler

2A Preacher
    Jun 4, 2020
    Martinsburg, WV
    So I just received notification that my M1’s shipped and will be arriving tomorrow. The only issue is that my credit card hasn’t been charged. Has anyone received their rifle before their credit card was hit?

Never heard of that happening but I would assume it would be charged tomorrow or is pending

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trbo6gn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    Harford Co.
    I couldn’t be happier with the m1’s I received. A 43 SA with new wood and a 44 SA with matching stock and receiver. The serial number is carved on the underside of the stock.
    b85045ad27e9366af01c3b0fc63e802d.jpg

6625b7f12c810e407ebda2b2842e6936.jpg

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    What's the blue box in the case? I like those new style cases!

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk

G8tor

Nov 30, 2013
    Calvert County
    I have two service grades scheduled to be delivered today. I ordered back in March and the wait is killing me. FedEx tracking says they are scheduled to be here by 430 and here it is 420 and no sign of them.

ironcity

Feb 6, 2013
    Taneytown
    I finally had time to have Charlie inspect my service grade from CMP this week. Well all was going fine until he verified the throat and muzzle rating. They were no where near what CMP stated. Then he did the headspace gauge and it failed the NOGO gauge. I will be getting a new barrel for it. He is also doing a trigger job for me as well.

G8tor

Nov 30, 2013
    Calvert County
    Who is this Charlie everyone keeps referring to? Where is he located? Sounds like it would be prudent to have him look over anything coming out of the CMP lately.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Who is this Charlie everyone keeps referring to? Where is he located? Sounds like it would be prudent to have him look over anything coming out of the CMP lately.

Charlie Maloney in Catonsville.

www.charliemaloney.com

He will optimise your rifle, but he's deep into performance, not thrilled about "collectors". Easy to work with, and deeply knowledgeable. My CMP Garand was a far cry from what their tag said. Charlie dug up a used barrel for me that was a lot cheaper than replacing with brand new, but still far better than the junk CMP sold me.

His website will give you the particulars. He's getting up there in years, and has some physical limitations.

G8tor

Nov 30, 2013
    Calvert County
    Charlie Maloney in Catonsville.

www.charliemaloney.com

He will optimise your rifle, but he's deep into performance, not thrilled about "collectors". Easy to work with, and deeply knowledgeable. My CMP Garand was a far cry from what their tag said. Charlie dug up a used barrel for me that was a lot cheaper than replacing with brand new, but still far better than the junk CMP sold me.

His website will give you the particulars. He's getting up there in years, and has some physical limitations.

Thanks Bob. I'm learning towards keeping mine as received from CMP. I'll probably rarely shoot them. Pic/details to follow.

G8tor

Nov 30, 2013
    Calvert County
    Well, here they are. Order for two luck of the draw service graces received by CMP back in mid-March and I took delivery yesterday, so they're still working 100+ days out.

Both are springfields with receivers manufactured in `44. Both also appear to have the original wood, definitely not new. The top one also has a barrel from 44 a month later than the receiver, so I'm assuming all original. The bottom rifle has a newer barrel from `51.

Top rifle has throat 2, muzzle 2.
    Bottom rifle has throat 1+, muzzle 2.

I haven't had a chance yet to look over any markings on the wood. I'll likely sell one to my brother, so I'm looking for a little help deciding which one to keep. I'm leaving toward the top rifle based on the receiver and barrel dates being so close. Would love to hear everyone's input. I'm more interested in a collector piece vs a shooter. I'll probably shoot it once a year or less.

Attachments

• 20210731_065335.jpg
      20210731_065335.jpg
      70.5 KB · Views: 110

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Well, here they are. Order for two luck of the draw service graces received by CMP back in mid-March and I took delivery yesterday, so they're still working 100+ days out.

Both are springfields with receivers manufactured in `44. Both also appear to have the original wood, definitely not new. The top one also has a barrel from 44 a month later than the receiver, so I'm assuming all original. The bottom rifle has a newer barrel from `51.

Top rifle has throat 2, muzzle 2.
    Bottom rifle has throat 1+, muzzle 2.

I haven't had a chance yet to look over any markings on the wood. I'll likely sell one to my brother, so I'm looking for a little help deciding which one to keep. I'm leaving toward the top rifle based on the receiver and barrel dates being so close. Would love to hear everyone's input. I'm more interested in a collector piece vs a shooter. I'll probably shoot it once a year or less.

Both are very cool.
    I'd keep the one with the '44 barrel. The barrel being a month off is nothing - that's very cool it may have the original barrel.

My favorite is a '43 SA with a '43 SA barrel - I have no way of knowing if it's the original but I chose to believe so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom