• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • m.ammer69

Jul 3, 2013
    Hi, so I've been looking into getting a black powder firearm, my dad agreed to teach how to properly load,fire and maintain one as long as I got my own. I've been looking at revolvers mostly because if I decided black powder wasn't for me, at least I'd be able to convert it to fire cartridges. While looking for a revolver, I thought about the old trapdoor and drop block rifles converted from old muskets and thought there must be away to convert a modern muzzleloader to fire a center fire cartridge, especially something with a inline hammer. Is there a kit to convert a muzzleloader over to a trap door setup? Or like a single shot breechloader/ bolt action? I've tried looking it up but most results for conversion just talk about using a different primer.

Question summary
    1. Is there away to convert a muzzleloader rifle over to fire a center fire or rimfire cartridge?
    2. Are there only certain muzzleloaders or calibers that you can convert over?
    3. Would it be like a trapdoor setup or would it be something more like a single shot breechload/bolt action?
    4. Most muzzleloader rifles I've seen are .54,.50 and.45, if it's possible to convert it over to a cartridge, what cartridges would it fire?
    5.would you guys recommend any particular rifle to do this with or any particular conversion kit to use?

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    The conversion of a muzzle loader to a trapdoor Springfield was a major arsenal rebuild. You would need a fully equipped machine shop to do it (the breach area had to be milled). Here is the story of the Trapdoor:
    https://www.americanrifleman.org/ar...e-trapdoor-springfield-the-allin-conversions/

And they still shot low pressure black powder cartridges which is why today's commercial .45-70 cartridges are limited to a SAMMI Maximum Average Pressure of 28,000 PSI vs the more modern 444 Marlin MAP of 42,000 PSI.

You should also look at the cost of converting a revolver the total cost will be as much as buying a conventional revolver with added problems in reloading.

m1carbine

Mar 10, 2015
    I would look for a TC Encore or Contender muzzleloader. If you decide that muzzleloading is not for you, it is simple to change the barrel to a different one in nearly any caliber. Custom barrels are available for them in addition to many factory choices. These are firearms so you would have to do appropriate paperwork but they offer many options that other muzzleloaders do not.

toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    Wouldn't this qualify as production of a firearm?

If you are doing it for yourself and not some one else then it probably falls into the same category as 80% receivers. Now I doubt there are a plethora of individuals with the experience/skills and access to the machine tools required to complete this endeavor. I might be wrong in any aspect of this response but I'm pretty sure skill and access to the tools is pretty accurate.
    How many people do you know that have machine shops are willing to let strangers or even friends use their tools (the way they earn their income) and place their livelihood at risk by an ATF sting or even just damage to their machines / equipment due to 'misadventure' by an inexperienced individual (remember to be legal the person making the 80% HAS to do ALL the work themselves)?

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    It would actually be quite “easy” machine shop wise to make a cartridge barrel as a liner that simply screws in to replace the breech plug on a break action muzzleloader. It would probably have to be a fairly low pressure cartridge though since those muzzleloader receivers did not have to contain any more pressure than a 209 primer with a small flash hole in the breech plug.

It would be kind of similar to these for converting break action 12ga shotguns

https://www.gunadapters.com/12-gauge-to-38-special-pathfinder-series/

But yes, you’re better off getting a firearm that can take muzzleloader barrels like the T/C Encore. I think one of the H&R single shot .45-70s can be converted to muzzleloader with a drop in breech plug. Mossberg used to make a muzzleloader barrel for the 500 that is now discontinued. The Rossi Wizard also had a muzzleloader barrel.

Crosseye Dominant

Ultimate Member
    Sep 1, 2018
    If things keep going the way they are there will be conversion kits going the other way,

I think a flintlock mechanism could be made to the external dimensions of an AR BCG. Maybe a ramrod holder on the lower Pic rail. Of course the donor gun would be .300 so you could call it the black powder blackout.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    unless your putting a new liner you have issues with twist rates. Muzzle loaders have slower twist rates so just moving to center fire can play havoc if the ballistics/powder are not planned out.
    Again a liner helps with that but you also have to deal with chamber pressures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom