• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Yeah - I might regret being cheap; we'll see. Even so, I bet this EO Tech 512 will be much better than the SPARC AR that it's going to replace.

Nothing wrong with the 512, but I usually have mine forward enough that the battery compartment is over the handguard's rail where the XPS isn't. Looking through them they are identical, so no real issue, just minor gripes. I would definitely take the batteries out if it will sit for a while, not sure if it the heat/shock and north/south orientation of the batteries, but even good AAs have leaked corrosive goo in mine. Luckily I've caught it, and been able to clean it out before it did any damage. Have had much better luck with NiMH rechargeable AAs(maybe sealed better?), and easy enough to charge them back up, but still leave them out when I don't plan on shooting that rifle for more than a week or so. Have had 0 battery leakage on the XPS2 with it's east/west battery position and Lithium formulation..

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    How about the Vortex UH-1?

I used to run an EoTech, but after getting burned by them I switched to this. I found it really ugly at first, but it's grown on me. My wife tells me the same thing.

Attachments

• IMG_6140.jpg
      IMG_6140.jpg
      77.6 KB · Views: 188

Chat-Bot

Disinformation Governor
    Oct 17, 2020
    под скалой
    Nothing wrong with the 512, but I usually have mine forward enough that the battery compartment is over the handguard's rail where the XPS isn't. Looking through them they are identical, so no real issue, just minor gripes. I would definitely take the batteries out if it will sit for a while, not sure if it the heat/shock and north/south orientation of the batteries, but even good AAs have leaked corrosive goo in mine. Luckily I've caught it, and been able to clean it out before it did any damage. Have had much better luck with NiMH rechargeable AAs(maybe sealed better?), and easy enough to charge them back up, but still leave them out when I don't plan on shooting that rifle for more than a week or so. Have had 0 battery leakage on the XPS2 with it's east/west battery position and Lithium formulation..

Do you mean horizontal vs vertical? Don't think orientation toward or away from magnetic north is going to make any difference. I've had batteries in many orientations and haven't seen different drain. Never seen Alkaline batteries leak after weeks of no use, perhaps months. I tend to use rechargeable now.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Got my 512 today, I do like this better than a red dot. The circle sort of shimmers, but the dot is sharper than a red dot for sure. If you put a BUIS on the back it is cramped to use the up/down buttons. I am going to try this on a build with lower profile handguards which I think will allow me to slide the device forward. This is MUCH better for astigmatism.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Do you mean horizontal vs vertical? Don't think orientation toward or away from magnetic north is going to make any difference. I've had batteries in many orientations and haven't seen different drain. Never seen Alkaline batteries leak after weeks of no use, perhaps months. I tend to use rechargeable now.

The "north/south battery arrangement" meaning AAs in the 512 are parallel to the bore, "east west" as the XPS2's perpendicular to the bore. It's a mechanic/engineering thing, not literally pointing to magnetic north. The 512's batteries take recoil force on the end terminals, the XPS2 takes it on the side of the case. Might be differences in how they are sealed, but seems seems the XPS2's batteries never leak, and last for at least a year of occasional use, the 512s AAs seem to leak after a couple months if I leave them in. I had a couple cheaper energizers leak in my bag despite taking them out, while the few unused spare batteries never have, so I think recoil and battery arrangement relative to the axis of recoil may play a role, at least with cheaper batteries. Have swapped to NiMh in the 512, but don't leave them in it out of habit, and no problems leaking with those.

Chat-Bot

Disinformation Governor
    Oct 17, 2020
    под скалой
    It's Non-Binary

The "north/south battery arrangement" meaning AAs in the 512 are parallel to the bore, "east west" as the XPS2's perpendicular to the bore. It's a mechanic/engineering thing, not literally pointing to magnetic north. The 512's batteries take recoil force on the end terminals, the XPS2 takes it on the side of the case. Might be differences in how they are sealed, but seems seems the XPS2's batteries never leak, and last for at least a year of occasional use, the 512s AAs seem to leak after a couple months if I leave them in. I had a couple cheaper energizers leak in my bag despite taking them out, while the few unused spare batteries never have, so I think recoil and battery arrangement relative to the axis of recoil may play a role, at least with cheaper batteries. Have swapped to NiMh in the 512, but don't leave them in it out of habit, and no problems leaking with those.

Has nothing to do with orientation or recoil.

XPS2 uses CR123 batteries which are lithium and could be left in devices for a decade.

512 uses AA batteries which are alkaline, lithium or rechargeable (pick the chemistry). Alkaline batteries have a history of leaking with any device if left unused for <x time>.

It's the chemistry and not orientation.

Perhaps you're using cheap alkalines?

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    One major reason I went with the 512 is the availability of the batteries. 90% of the time it seems I am just about ready to head out to the range and while doing a quick pre-op check, I notice the batteries are week or dead. I usually have AA or AAA batteries on hand, or can at least stop and a convenience store on the way and get some.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom