• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    § 4-402. Possession of machine gun.

(a) Evidence of possession.- The presence of a machine gun in a room, boat, or vehicle is evidence of the possession or use of the machine gun by each person occupying the room, boat, or vehicle.

So, in my scenario, if you are in a room with an unregistered machine gun (i.e. invited to a party and didn't know it was there) you are in possession and presumed guilty of offesensive intent, punishable by 10 years in prison.

Well... I do have to say, I had forgotten about that bit of insanity in the law. However it does not mean that a MG in the house will get everyone in the house. It says in the same "room, boat or vehicle". So the MG up in the Attic is not going to get everyone in the house during a party.

I think this law has the clear intention of now allowing someone to toss the gun on the ground and claim its not his. However it is pretty scary.

tom b

Oct 2, 2011
    So, a few questions:

(1) Do we know if the new electronic system will be initially populated with the contents of our most recent paper forms?

(2) Will the electronic system retain this year's information for use next year? The previous electronic system did so, and was pretty convenient.

I suspect we won't really know until it goes online and we have some experience with it.

I just did my renewals and to answer your questions:

1. The system populates your personal information from your MSP account but does not populate the machine gun information, you must enter it manually, and it warns you that the machine gun has not been registered before when entering the purchase dates.
    2. I called the MSP and was told that the system will retain the information going forward.

bbrown

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2009
    MD

1. The system populates your personal information from your MSP account but does not populate the machine gun information, you must enter it manually, and it warns you that the machine gun has not been registered before when entering the purchase dates.
    2. I called the MSP and was told that the system will retain the information going forward.

Thank you very much for the answers.

It would have been a monumental amount of work for the MSP to enter all the registration information on all the paper forms. Well, for rsideout anyway. :)

viiper

Re-Member
    Dec 3, 2008
    Carroll County
    I'll probably sound like a loon, but oh well, pretty much rules out any off-grid thinking in Maryland or going about your business as a presumed law abiding person.

So now if you were some old fart looking towards disconnecting more they are saying:
    - you must use a computer and the Internet
    - you must use Visa or Mastercard
    - you must give us your data
    - you must do this every year in May

....otherwise you are a criminal. You would think one registration would satisfy someone letting them know they have one, and are intending to follow the law. As if people decide in May that's when they are a criminal or not, and each year.

BTW, it's not lost on me I'm posting this :lol: on the Internet.

N3uka

Ultimate Member
    Aug 26, 2013
    College Park

Did mine and then received letter dated March 1 from msp about online system and reminding that renewals start on May 1st. Wonder if have to do again after May 1st or this counted? I know I should have remembered correct dates. :sad20:

Bboarder

Me Myself & I
    Mar 7, 2010
    Reisterstown
    Tried doing mine, in the "add an MG" section, after the "you're outside the legal registration window", which as i read above you just ignore since their system sucks. It asks for Drivers license and DOB of seller as well as address. I have the PO address and have made an inquiry to try to get the DL and DOB, but WTF. What if you've owned the gun for decades? I'm only 3 years and *might* be able to get the info, what if you'd bought from an estate, ive got a call into the MSP and hoping for either the info or someone to give me a go around. But what stupid useless info they ask for about PO.

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    Tried doing mine, in the "add an MG" section, after the "you're outside the legal registration window", which as i read above you just ignore since their system sucks. It asks for Drivers license and DOB of seller as well as address. I have the PO address and have made an inquiry to try to get the DL and DOB, but WTF. What if you've owned the gun for decades? I'm only 3 years and *might* be able to get the info, what if you'd bought from an estate, ive got a call into the MSP and hoping for either the info or someone to give me a go around. But what stupid useless info they ask for about PO.

Don't worry about it if you don't have the sellers DOB or DL#. Just put unknown. Or n/a if it was an FFL/SOT. I've done it that way for years with no issues.

Gunner220

Jul 24, 2012
    It seems to keep some relative personal info but none on the weapon. Just an FYI that Portal is Browser sensitive. Use Chrome and their should be no problems along those lines.

BrianS

Apr 26, 2010
    I didn't have a an issue with using the paper version on a registered multi-caliber Qualified sear but I can't seem to do it through the portal. Here's the relevant statement on the screen... A machine gun sear only should not be registered as a machine gun in Maryland; however, the firearm(s) into which you have inserted a machine gun sear are required to be registered as a machine gun. Does that mean I have to "add firearm" for every host I might run this in?

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    I didn't have a an issue with using the paper version on a registered multi-caliber Qualified sear but I can't seem to do it through the portal. Here's the relevant statement on the screen... A machine gun sear only should not be registered as a machine gun in Maryland; however, the firearm(s) into which you have inserted a machine gun sear are required to be registered as a machine gun. Does that mean I have to "add firearm" for every host I might run this in?

This is now the second time I have heard this. I understand why a Sear is not a MG in this state. To be a firearm in MD, it has to actually be able to fire a round. So a sear is not a gun in MD, much less a MG.

With that said, no, I would not register my host gun serial number. The serial number of the conversion device is what needs to be registered. I don't care what some ignorant person at MSP wrote on the website. You can't use the host gun serial number because as you say, it can be moved. I would just list the conversion device serial and be done with it. Its not like anyone is looking into any of this stuff anyway...

BrianS

Apr 26, 2010
    With that said, no, I would not register my host gun serial number. The serial number of the conversion device is what needs to be registered. I don't care what some ignorant person at MSP wrote on the website. You can't use the host gun serial number because as you say, it can be moved. I would just list the conversion device serial and be done with it. Its not like anyone is looking into any of this stuff anyway...

Good point. Last year's reg has no hosts listed, just the Qualified s/n. Also, I can only list one caliber in the online version at a time unlike the paper version where I could put all three down.

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    I’ve never listed a host SN for any MG sear. And what are you supposed to do is you have an MG sear that has not been installed yet? Such an HK or FNC sear that is just being held as an investment.

Billman

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?
    May 18, 2010
    Sykesville, MD
    I was contacted by MSP last year regarding host registration. They absolutely want you to register every host capable of utilizing your conversion device. The trooper instructed me to NOT register Fleming sear H9999, as it is not a firearm. Instead, you should register each and every host. PTR91, HK94, Coharie etc. Same situation for an ar15 DIAS.
    Not looking to start an argument, just relaying my experience.

BrianS

Apr 26, 2010
    I was contacted by MSP last year regarding host registration. They absolutely want you to register every host capable of utilizing your conversion device. The trooper instructed me to NOT register Fleming sear H9999, as it is not a firearm. Instead, you should register each and every host. PTR91, HK94, Coharie etc. Same situation for an ar15 DIAS.

I'm not surprised in the least that they would take this position. Especially since it's the opposite of what my ATF paperwork shows. None of my hosts have ever been on the MG list and no issues whatsoever.

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region

Interesting. They have never contacted me about a sear (HK or FNC) being registered by itself. I'll see how the annual registration goes this year.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD

I have no doubt... I swear every time MSP is contacted a bad answer comes out of their mouth!

The last time I contacted them, I asked what I have to do to sell a gun out of state. She started with take it to a FFL and have them ship it. I said that is not correct and not required. She then agreed! So why are you telling me bad info from the start!

Section 4-401. Definitions.
    (a) In general. In this subtitle the following words have the meanings indicated.
    (c) Machine gun. "Machine gun" means a loaded or unloaded weapon that is capable of automatically discharging more
    than one shot or bullet from a magazine by a single function of the firing device.

So according to this, I don't see how a registered bolt/sear or any conversion part fits this. So I guess without a host, its not a MG in MD. However it still does not follow that you should then register all your host guns.

With that said, it does get into some interesting issues with Host guns in MD. However I am not going to post that publicly.

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    I just finished my 2021 annual MG registration. It listed as an initial registration. I guess next year, with the data in place, it will show as an annual registration? We'll see if MSP contacts me for anything that was not filled out correctly.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    I just finished my 2021 annual MG registration. It listed as an initial registration. I guess next year, with the data in place, it will show as an annual registration? We'll see if MSP contacts me for anything that was not filled out correctly.

Are you sure it was annual? Maybe it was because it isn’t May yet?

BrianS

Apr 26, 2010
    I've sent them in for years just before May 1st. We'll see what they say, if anything.

Did you just use one host and call it a day? I'm still surprised they don't care about the serial number on the sear anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom