• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • russ498

Feb 8, 2021
    Pasadena, MD 21122
    Greetings all;

I just ordered a traditions 50 caliber percussion muzzleloading kit. I do like to work with my hands and I'm looking forward to the building process. I'm a lifelong gun enthusiast but brand-new to black powder. I'm well aware of all of the shortages of ammunition and reloading supplies as well as supplies for black powder. Do you have any suggestions about where to get a small quantity to get started, even if I have to pay price gouging prices? I don't even know the size or type of cap or primer that this gun uses. I am a member AGC, so I have the perfect place to shoot. Thanks for your responses.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Welcome to BP! and a Traditional Sidelock too!

Which Kit is it?
    There may be some build threads here already.
    Gun Shack in Mt. Airy for REAL black powder and the caps. No gouging will happen there.
    With a sidelock, Real Black Powder is much more forgiving.
    If you have already built a list of stuff (range rod, jag, ball starter, shooting patches, cleaning patches, nipple pic, etc) you need to shoot, go ahead and post your current list and folks can tell you what your missing.
    Track of the wolf is where many go for what they can't get locally.

Just know that "to get started" there are LOTS of things people will do to wring out more accuracy. you don't need to do EVERYTHING people say.

I have some pre lubed patches and some .490" balls (many of us will shoot the tighter fitting .495" balls) I can Gift to you also. That will help get you started also.
    I shoot at AGC myself.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Bit of a drive but RSP in Martinsburg WV always has American Pioneer powder in FF and FFF on the shelf for about $21 a pound. DON'T shoot Pyrodex unless you can't buy anything else. Its ultra coorosive and hard to clean up. Black powder, 777 and buckhorn 209 clean up so much better.

#11 caps are hard to find now, but call around.

I got 1/2 pound of pyrodex you could have also, but even at free its a bad price. ;)

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Greetings all;

I just ordered a traditions 50 caliber percussion muzzleloading kit. I do like to work with my hands and I'm looking forward to the building process. I'm a lifelong gun enthusiast but brand-new to black powder. I'm well aware of all of the shortages of ammunition and reloading supplies as well as supplies for black powder. Do you have any suggestions about where to get a small quantity to get started, even if I have to pay price gouging prices? I don't even know the size or type of cap or primer that this gun uses. I am a member AGC, so I have the perfect place to shoot. Thanks for your responses.

Where are you located? Lots of places to try but you may not want to travel that far.

russ498

Feb 8, 2021
    Pasadena, MD 21122
    Welcome to BP! and a Traditional Sidelock too!

Which Kit is it?
    There may be some build threads here already.
    Gun Shack in Mt. Airy for REAL black powder and the caps. No gouging will happen there.

I ordered the Traditions Mountain Muzzleloading Rifle Kit 50 Caliber Percussion 32" Barrel Hardwood Stock Raw kit.

Also, what grade of powder should I be using? I was thinking maybe FF. And, what size cap does it take? AND, what are the other necessities to get started? I warned you they were pure newbie questions:bowdown:

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I ordered the Traditions Mountain Muzzleloading Rifle Kit 50 Caliber Percussion 32" Barrel Hardwood Stock Raw kit.

Also, what grade of powder should I be using? I was thinking maybe FF. And, what size cap does it take? AND, what are the other necessities to get started? I warned you they were pure newbie questions:bowdown:

You might want to visit the Traditions web site and look at the information for your rifle including the manual that will come with your kit and the videos they have available. The one on loading and firing will answer your questions about powder and caps.

Link to your kit
    https://www.traditionsfirearms.com/product/mountain-rifle-kit-.50-caliber-percussion

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Probably 3f with a 32 caliber. You have to experiment with yours. My 50 caliber likes 65 grains on a round ball. more powder will be faster, but not always accurate.
    https://www.bevfitchett.us/thompson...er-loads-for-the-thompsoncenter-system-1.html

Get a powder horn, balls, measure and lubed patches. Pendersoli makes flasks with spouts. Once you figure the load your gun likes you can use one of the spouts and grind a larger one shorts, off the flask, until it throws the grain charge you need. I use one to measure the powder for my paper cartridges before getting a lee perfect powder measure for other reloading.

If you really want to make it a hobby. get a mold and cast balls
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/101020128

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    HNP Muzzleloading is on Back River Neck Rd in Essex. Small shop and friendly helpful people. He usually has everything you need at decent prices.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    HNP Muzzleloading is on Back River Neck Rd in Essex. Small shop and friendly helpful people. He usually has everything you need at decent prices.

Hmmm, never heard of HNP. I've been buying BP for my antique sidelocks from Clyde's, but they only carry plain Goex and those awful CCI re-enactor musket caps. Does HNP carry any other BP or musket cap brands? They don't seem to have a web page.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    #11 caps and 2F or 3F for 50 cal.
    Some report 3F which is generally for Pistol will shoot more consistent.
    If all you find is 2F, use it.
    Ball and Patch fit is more important than the 2F or 3F IMO.

Get er built and just get it shooting before you get into tweeking for accuracy. Pre lubed .490 balls will get you started and be reasonable for accuracy till you get into slamming a tight patch and .495 balls.
    IT does not hurt either to start on the .490 and pre lubed balls to get the rifling edges broken in.

I work close to Rt 100 near Basspro so if you want to meet one day during lunch or after work at BassPro, like I said, I can gift you .490 balls and pre lubed patches to get started.

And post build pics so people here can tell you what you should have done differently :) or should be thinking about trying :). Just remember, more than 1 way to do things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom