• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    :lol: No, NOT a TURKEY shotgun, a Made in Turkey, shotgun.

Picked up a near new Citadel WartHog (or some call it, a BossHog) semi auto 20" barreled shotgun. It's a $300 copy of a Benelli.

Anyway, got it specifically to modify into more of a H.D. shotgun.
    It has a 4+1 capacity, 20" barrel, and a basic sight on the end of the barrel. It comes with 3 chokes, and the choke tool.

My plan was to add a mag tube extension, and a decent adjustable AR style pistol grip stock. I used an ATI T3 stock, and a Carlson's 7 round extension, ironically spec'd for a Benelli Nova/SuperNova.
    The extension was $59.99 at BassPro
    The stock was right about $110 at Midway, but cost me $93-ish because it came with a special birthday price reduction, which I forgot they even offered.

Pics attached, as I got it.

Attachments

• c17.jpg
      c17.jpg
      107.7 KB · Views: 1,251
    • c16.jpg
      c16.jpg
      86.8 KB · Views: 990
    • c1.jpg
      c1.jpg
      13.1 KB · Views: 1,051

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    First thing I did was partially disassemble it, in prep for the mag tube extension addition.

The mag tube itself, is "roll crimped" and requires either it be CUT, or as I chose, dremeled open to allow the follower and spring to be removed.

A simple 10-15 minute job with an M-18 Milwaukee drill, a carbide bit, and a sandpaper roll.

Biggest PITA is needing 3 hands. LOL
    You need to be a little creative holding the mag tube's top spring cap, DOWN (and out of the way) so that you can actually grind the crimp off. Basically, you need to sort of "roll" whatever tool you use to hold the spring down, as you grind. If that makes sense? I didn't worry at all about any shavings or metal dust, because when I was done, I simply used an old 12 gauge BORE SNAKE, pulled through from receiver end, to clean it up.

Disassembly is quick and easy, with no tools required.

The correct mag extension is one spec'd for a BENELLI NOVA/SUPER NOVA

Pics attached of disassembly and finished mag tube...

Attachments

• c15.jpg
      c15.jpg
      48.8 KB · Views: 990
    • c14.jpg
      c14.jpg
      76.1 KB · Views: 963
    • c13.jpg
      c13.jpg
      40.9 KB · Views: 937

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    The stock removal, requires a Phillips head screwdriver, to remove the butt stock "pad".
    Also a 1/2" or 13mm socket, long extension, and a ratchet to unbolt stock from receiver.

The ATI stock, is a universal type, so comes with several adapters to mate it to several shotguns. I used the TRISTAR adapter, which fits the receiver great.

Pics attached of new stock

Attachments

• c9.jpg
      c9.jpg
      71.6 KB · Views: 1,018
    • c8.jpg
      c8.jpg
      45.3 KB · Views: 1,109

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    Shotgun now has a 6+1 capacity, and has a totally changed "look".
    Yes, it's still a cheap Turkish shotgun, but it'll go bang when/if it needs to.

TOOLS NEEDED for whole project:
    3/8" ratchet
    8" long 3/8" extension
    1/2" or 13mm socket
    Phillips screwdriver
    5/64" allen wrench (for cheek rest screws)
    1/4" allen wrench (for new stock to receiver bolt)
    Cordless drill, carbide bit, and sandpaper roll

Pics of completed project...

Attachments

• c5.jpg
      c5.jpg
      36.8 KB · Views: 1,053
    • c4.jpg
      c4.jpg
      26.3 KB · Views: 999
    • c7.jpg
      c7.jpg
      27 KB · Views: 992

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    GREAT write-up!!!!!!!!!!!

Genius(es) must think along the same plane. (Chuckle. Chuckle.) :lol2:

I bought the same buttstock when my son got his "Boss Hog".
    Glad to know that the TRISTAR adapter works.
    He and I had talked about using this buttstock on either this semi-auto, or on a "Maverick" he bought a couple of years ago.

Taking the forend cap off of his "Boss Hog" was a 'bear'. Tight isn't accurate.
    It was VERY tight.
    One thing I noticed, is the plastic 'cap' inside of the tube, acting as a top-end follower.
    Since it won't come out (due to the magazine tube 'roll crimp') how did you keep it out of the way, when you removed the crimp????

Again, GREAT write-up on your Citadel!!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

OMCHamlin

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    May 17, 2017
    The Cumberland Plateau
    That's great info! I have four of those little guys at the place where I work, I'll pass that on to any potential customers (that look to be capable of knowing which end is which). I saw that swaged over tube on one, wonder how they expect to get to the spring and follower for maintenance or replacement?

I have a Black Aces Pro S semi auto with the walnut stock/forearm, LOVE it (so far), wonder if anybodies bolt handle would drop in, in place of the factory one?

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    That's great info! I have four of those little guys at the place where I work, I'll pass that on to any potential customers (that look to be capable of knowing which end is which). I saw that swaged over tube on one, wonder how they expect to get to the spring and follower for maintenance or replacement?

I have a Black Aces Pro S semi auto with the walnut stock/forearm, LOVE it (so far), wonder if anybodies bolt handle would drop in, in place of the factory one?

There's a guy with some OK videos on YouTube, that claims one out of a Remington fits the slot where it goes, but it doesn't have the small locking tab on it, like the stock factory one does.

EDIT****
    He now says NOT to use it....because it flies out, due to not having the locking tab...

***Do NOT use the charging handle that I discuss in this video. It worked well for a while but now FLIES OUT. If you use this prepare to lose it. Sorry for recommending it, but it did work for about 80 rounds.***

He does have a half dozen or so videos that are helpful for the most part, specifically regarding this shotgun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_s11T-Nrto&t=17s

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Yes , I have one also , made a thread at the time .

These are NOT Benelli clones . Benelli are Inertia operated , these are Gas operated . I'm make no assertion which is better or prefered, but they're different .

What clinched it for me was simply the 20 in threaded for tubes . I like short and good patterns , and those aren't common .

OMCHamlin

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    May 17, 2017
    The Cumberland Plateau
    There's a guy with some OK videos on YouTube, that claims one out of a Remington fits the slot where it goes, but it doesn't have the small locking tab on it, like the stock factory one does.

EDIT****
    He now says NOT to use it....because it flies out, due to not having the locking tab...

He does have a half dozen or so videos that are helpful for the most part, specifically regarding this shotgun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_s11T-Nrto&t=17s

Okay, soooo... .Remington.

benton0311

Feb 26, 2011

These are NOT Benelli clones . Benelli are Inertia operated , these are Gas operated . I'm make no assertion which is better or prefered, but they're different .

What clinched it for me was simply the 20 in threaded for tubes . I like short and good patterns , and those aren't common .

The Benelli M4 Super 90 (I forget the whole series)/M1014 is gas operated.

My USMC-issued M1014 was gas operated, my personal Montefeltro is recoil operated. Basically, in the modern Benelli lineup, combat shotguns are gas and sporting shotguns are recoil.

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland

In my defense, I meant visually a clone, which the Citadel definitely has a similarity (looks-wise) with a few of the Benelli.

I've never shot a shotgun with swap-able "chokes", and have no idea which one (out of the 3 they give you) would be best for slugs, 00 Buckshot, or possibly even #2 steel shot.

If anyone would like to share that tidbit of knowledge, I'm all ears.

mahead

Jan 6, 2009
    Frederick
    Where did you get your new stock. Looks better than most of the adjustable ones I’ve seen. How does it handle relative to the original stock?

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    Where did you get your new stock. Looks better than most of the adjustable ones I’ve seen. How does it handle relative to the original stock?

Just like linked above...
    Midway had it in stock.

Havent shot it yet, but I'm sure it'll work great. It feels "right" to me.
    But...I am definitely not the one to ask about how any pistol grip stock compares to a standard stock. Unfortunately, I am not really able to shoot anything with a "regular" stock due to severe wrist pain when I shoot. I pretty much have to have a pistol grip on any long gun for me to able to use it.

mahead

Jan 6, 2009
    Frederick
    Thanks for the link. How sturdy does the stock feel. I watched a video and the one screw holding the extension tube seems a little flimsy but not having one in hand I could be wrong.

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    Thanks for the link. How sturdy does the stock feel. I watched a video and the one screw holding the extension tube seems a little flimsy but not having one in hand I could be wrong.

To me, it feels more sturdier than the typical AR stock. The tube goes into the pistol grip section about an inch, and mine is very tight fitment. That means the little screw isnt really doing any of the securing, just keeping it from turning

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom