• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sead0nkey

Señor member
    Jul 25, 2008
    AA
    In any case, I went ahead and bought a PTR MP5 clone. The B&T was very tempting, but the MP5 is Old School...like me.

Sold my scorpion after I picked up a ptr9. I really like the gun. I won the lottery on arfcom about 2 years ago 6 unopened hk 30 round mags shipped $200.00 lasted 5 mins.

P.s. I really liked the scorpion just wanted the mp5 clone and couldn’t afford both.

P.s.s. I’m a noob, someone mentioned “slow reloads” above what does that mean?

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    IMO, you can't go wrong with either the Scorpion or an MP5. The MP5, being a blowback, is a little nicer to shoot but we're only talking 9mm here so that's not really an issue. If you do decide to go MP5, I'd only buy an HK, MKE or POF. All three are solid but the HK is both the prettiest and the best investment. Any manufacturer other than the listed three is going to be subpar.

Travis Bickle

Jul 13, 2012
    MoCo
    Sold my scorpion after I picked up a ptr9. I really like the gun. I won the lottery on arfcom about 2 years ago 6 unopened hk 30 round mags shipped $200.00 lasted 5 mins.

P.s. I really liked the scorpion just wanted the mp5 clone and couldn’t afford both.

P.s.s. I’m a noob, someone mentioned “slow reloads” above what does that mean?

What I mean is the MP5 does not have last round bolt hold open. So upon emptying a mag in the MP5:
    you pull the trigger and hear no bang
    pull bolt back and lock it open
    Strip mag because they don’t drop free
    insert new mag (in a rather narrow mag well)
    HK slap to release bolt and chamber new round

Scorpion, MPX or B&T you know your empty because the bolt locks back. As soon as you are empty you just push the mag release button and are ready to put in new mag and press one more button to chamber a round. and it’s possible to use drop free mags.

If you look on YouTube or watch people in competition you will see what a huge disadvantage MP5 has in reload times. But for most people this is probably a non-issue.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Yup. My competitive fires are focused on the precision disciplines, so it really doesn't matter to me.

sead0nkey

Señor member
    Jul 25, 2008
    AA
    What I mean is the MP5 does not have last round bolt hold open. So upon emptying a mag in the MP5:
    you pull the trigger and hear no bang
    pull bolt back and lock it open
    Strip mag because they don’t drop free
    insert new mag (in a rather narrow mag well)
    HK slap to release bolt and chamber new round

Scorpion, MPX or B&T you know your empty because the bolt locks back. As soon as you are empty you just push the mag release button and are ready to put in new mag and press one more button to chamber a round. and it’s possible to use drop free mags.

If you look on YouTube or watch people in competition you will see what a huge disadvantage MP5 has in reload times. But for most people this is probably a non-issue.

Learned something new, Thank you for taking the time to explain it.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I have a d̶e̶l̶a̶y̶e̶d̶ blowback foxtrot mike, a CMMG RDB build and a Sig Scorpion pistol. I also have a Diamond Back Carbine that takes Glock mags. I like them all. I took the two AR9 pistols to the ranges and based on how you tune your blowback and the RDB I couldn't see a difference. My blowback runs a heavy bolt and buffer so the CMMG is a bit lighter. The Sig shoots just as well but with a bit of reciprocating mass. I do not like the MP5 due to no bolt hold open and the weight, the trigger, and mag release. I'd still add one to the stable but they are expensive and not really that great.

Not delayed, regular blowback.

Last edited:

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I have a delayed blowback foxtrot mike, a CMMG RDB build and a Sig Scorpion pistol. I also have a Diamond Back Carbine that takes Glock mags. I like them all. I took the two AR9 pistols to the ranges and based on how you tune your blowback and the RDB I couldn't see a difference. My blowback runs a heavy bolt and buffer so the CMMG is a bit lighter. The Sig shoots just as well but with a bit of reciprocating mass. I do not like the MP5 due to no bolt hold open and the weight, the trigger, and mag release. I'd still add one to the stable but they are expensive and not really that great.

I really wanted to do an RDB build, until I tried one, and completely lost interest after I built a short stroke blowback and got some time with it. Figure the RDB has about a pound of metal moving the full stroke length of 3 3/4", my Taccom short stroke has about 24oz, but only moves 2", near half the distance. The RDB does feel soft, especially when compared to the older blowback setups with light 5.5oz buffers and full 3" stroke lengths. Heavy buffers and shorter strokes really tame direct blowback. My Taccom setup with ESS BCG and 10oz KVP buffer has really mild recoil. As best I can feel shooting this next to a RDB, the ESS is a little sharper, but much faster, the RDB is a little softer but slower. Not much changes with a suppressor either, the short stroke and heavy buffer cuts down on blowback dramatically, as does the RDB compared to full stroke blowback.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Gen 2 kriss vector 9mm sdp

It’s a very stable shooting gun. Almost zero felt recoil and no muzzle rise. Takes Glock mags.
    The gen 1 guns had issues according to the inter webs , but my gen 2 has been flawless. Runs very well suppressed.

Attachments

• 947AD8F2-6943-45FC-BE92-944777D30111.jpg
      947AD8F2-6943-45FC-BE92-944777D30111.jpg
      121.7 KB · Views: 148

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads