• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    My son acquired this mid 80's model Mossberg 500A from a member here.
    Was a backup hunting shotgun with a semi-camo homemade paint job done sometime in the past.

It was bought strictly to be turned into a Home Defense shotgun.

It had 26" barrel, now cut down to 18.5" and a quick "rub" of the wood, LOL.

I also did a 4 color camo paintjob on it, but it doesn't really show up in the pics for some reason...Looks "camo-ey" in person though.

Turned out pretty nice, for zero money, and about an hour's time today. Would have just went plain black, but since I had the camo paint, and I haven't been repaid for the shottie loan yet, I figured it was my call, lol.

Attachments

• mossberg1.jpg
      mossberg1.jpg
      25.5 KB · Views: 499
    • mossy1.jpg
      mossy1.jpg
      82.2 KB · Views: 495
    • mossy2.jpg
      mossy2.jpg
      79.5 KB · Views: 508
    • mossy3.jpg
      mossy3.jpg
      39.3 KB · Views: 495
    • 20210316_161418.jpg
      20210316_161418.jpg
      72.4 KB · Views: 489

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Lookin good! Good luck with it!

Just by way of mention, the camo in your original photo may well have been factory applied.

Mossberg at one time had a Woodland pattern, and a pattern that they called OEM Camo. Both were sort of crude by today's standards. Hard for me to pin down the exact timeline, but late 80's or early 90's is what I recall.

I actually won a Model 500 with the OEM camo pattern, which is why I recognize it. Basically blotches of green, tan and black, the full length of the shotgun. Both the stock and the forend on mine are synthetic, but a furniture swap at some point may account for wood.

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    Thanks guys.
    Uncle Duke, this (when I got it) was a very simple one color offset...basically a half dozen stripes.

It took me longer to figure out how to put it back together, then to "mod" it, lol

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    I love it. I did the same thing with a Maverick 88 I was able to pick up for next to nothing. Cut it down to 19” to match the rib and then painted it black. I hope it serves your son well.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Looks good. How will cutting the barrel down affect the shot pattern at 20-20 feet?

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    I love it. I did the same thing with a Maverick 88 I was able to pick up for next to nothing. Cut it down to 19” to match the rib and then painted it black. I hope it serves your son well.

Thanks. Mine didn't quite line up how I hoped, with one of the ribs. It would have been 20 and a half-ish to go to the next one, or 18-5/8" to go where I did, and still able to fit my tubing cutter. I would have much preferred a smooth barrel to start with, but I'm pleased with how it ended up. I'm sure he will be too.

Looks good. How will cutting the barrel down affect the shot pattern at 20-20 feet?

Thanks. At only 20 or so feet, (and I may be wrong), but I can't imagine the 18.5" barrel make any pattern difference over a 25-26' barrel. All my shotguns have 18.5" barrels, and none have chokes, (except the Citadel I modded last week) . They are all "open barrels", or whatever the term is, just like this one is now. :thumbsup:

I would have liked to find a factory, 18.5" barrel, but I sure couldn't find one, for a realistic price. All the actual "gun parts" vendors that I could find, were sold out, usually with no backorder available, on $120-$150 barrels. There is some gougers on Ebay that, I guess, hoarded a bunch, and are offering them for $299...Pandemic Political Panic or not, an old Mossberg 500 (to me), is still a $300 shotgun, so I'm 100% NOT the guy who's going to pay $300 for a barrel.

Looking forward to the next project....
    No idea what it'll be.
    Have one I am trying to acquire...Guy I work with, has an old 500 that he's had since he was a kid. He hasn't shot it in 40+ years, lol.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    As mentioned above , I would have gone to even with the next rib post , even if 20.5 in , but that's me .

As to expected patterns, you have to look at it in context :

1. In the absolute , would IC or Mod give better patterns than true Cylinder ? Well Yeah , duhh .

2. Will true Cylinder buckshot patterns be plenty adequate @ 25 Feet ? Absolutely .

Jd2020

Nov 20, 2020
    Queen Anne’s Co
    The exception is the federal flight control wad that’s meant for cylinder bore. Reports are that it patterns worse (pattern opens up sooner/less even) with any choke.

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    Not nearly as nice as bigred's Mossy project, but the faux camo just wasn't working for me...:sad20:

Stripped it down again, and used some Black Cherry stain on the furniture, and re-painted the entire shotgun with Matte Black grill paint, which is made to withstand high heat, obviously. So, now I have like 12 bucks invested, lol.
    Offered it for sale since I'm not a huge Mossberg fan, but had no interest, so I guess I'll keep it. I'm now "casually looking" for a true 18.5" barrel to replace the cut down version, although this one is kinda growing on me, like the rest of the shottie is.

Turned out much better than the camo look above, IMO.

Attachments

• mossyleft.jpg
      mossyleft.jpg
      132 KB · Views: 113
    • mossyright.jpg
      mossyright.jpg
      144.3 KB · Views: 108

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members