• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I just ordered one of these GunGner 10/22 stocks to make use of the abundance of spare AR parts I have lying around. Lighter than the wood stock, adjustable length of pull for all my kids and myself, rails, and a good AR style trainer........for $62 including shipping I figured I couldn't go wrong. Will report once I get it installed and have the kids make use of it. No issues with stock rifle accuracy with wood stock but the advantages of this chasis system made it a no brainer for me.

https://gungnerinc.com/

That's rather neat. Especially on sale. I'm not planning to get one but still neat.
    Let us know how much work to clean it and if it affects accuracy with the fit. I personally don't like alot of disconnection of the barrel to the scope fitment. when you add more parts to connect something to something else, bad things happen with repeatability.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Most will shoot around 4MOA out of the box with CCI SV with some ammo doing a little better. The barrel more than anything can make or break accuracy provided the shooter and rifle/optic can show the difference. A VQ, Tacsol or most any match barrel will cut the group size in 1/2 or better. Add in a solid stock, bed the chamber area and front of the barrel/front receiver lug(don't float the barrel with a bedded receiver) good trigger, and lapped/bedded scope mount/rings and they can shoot ridiculously well. My target build 10-22 will shoot ragged 1MOA holes from 25rd mags pretty easily with an inexpensive keystone heavy barrel, some VQ parts and Revival laminate stock. If you want something really special, get a stripped receiver and build it, beats ending up with a built rifle where the receiver is the only stock part anyway.

Last edited:

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City

leomort

Jul 31, 2020
    @Blacksmith101, thank you for those links! Dang, they made the Ruger 10/22 hang with CZ 452!

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    It should be pretty darn good out of the box , lots of variables. But as I seen some of the guys ask what’s your intentions/ expectations. I replaced trigger and shoot cci without any great effort or science, scoped, and my wife shoots inch grouse give or take . Like I said without getting super technical.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    CCI Blazer. 2nd worst performer in the Annie, and 2nd best performer in the 10/22.

So much for assumptions and generalizations....

What that shows is .22 rifles are ammo sensitive and what works best in one gun may not work in another. Even two different rifles of the same make and model may shoot best with different ammo. The only way to find the best ammo for any given rifle is to test fire many different brands and loading's to see which works best.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    What that shows is .22 rifles are ammo sensitive and what works best in one gun may not work in another. Even two different rifles of the same make and model may shoot best with different ammo. The only way to find the best ammo for any given rifle is to test fire many different brands and loading's to see which works best.

Indeed it does sir!

Chat-Bot

Disinformation Governor
    Oct 17, 2020
    под скалой

Yep, .22 LR in general is hit or miss depending on <ammo> <model> combination.

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    3-5 MOA I’m pretty sure is within spec from ruger

I had a new 10/22 target that couldn’t hit the board side of a barn. Ruger took it back, rebarreled and shipped it back with targets confirming it was the rack driver it should be.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Here is the .22 testing link I was looking for, I lost my bookmarks in a computer change, In the first post are links to each rifle/distance and the link shows the actual targets with results for each ammo type. Notice the different ammo's in addition to group size changes also show variations in impact vs point of aim. The groups center compared to the point of aim dot changes with just changing ammo, i.e. the gun may shoot high and to the left with one ammo the next ammo groups may be low and to the right. I believe this is caused by the different pressure both peak and duration affecting the barrel harmonics. Which is why you need to re-zero your sights when you change ammo.

Link to ammo tests
    http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8711043/m/7531057281

Lots of interesting information on that forum:
    http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve
    The .22 section
    http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8711043/m/7531057281

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry lever is more accurate. 10/22 not quite squirell accurate from box in my experience.

Funny you mention this.

My standard is also "squirrel accurate." Specifically, squirrel head at 50 yards accurate.

When I first bought my 10/22, really to see what I was missing in never having owned one? I tested 7 or 8 different brands of ammo against that very standard.

5 brands through my testing, I had pretty much made up my mind that my factory stock 10/22 would never meet that standard. And with most of those brands tested, it didn't even come close. It looked to me for awhile that "what I was missing" in not having owned a 10/22, was absolutely nothing. Because to me, a rifle that won't shoot "minute of squirrel", is a rifle I really have no further use for, and even less interest in.

It was my next round with CCI standard that began to give me hope for that rifle. It was Aguila Super Extra that made me want to keep it.

So what does my story mean for others? I'd suggest that it almost surely doesn't mean that buying particular brand names will magically transform a rifle. A quick review of the posts in this thread alone, looking for positive comments by brand names mentioned, shows positive comments for SSI, CCI standard, Aguila SE, Lapua, SK, Federal Auto Match, and Blazer. Who's right? I'm convinced that, in THEIR gun and (equally likely) in THEIR GUN ALONE, they are probably ALL right. Blacksmith's charts
    (good stuff Blacksmith101...thanks!) are I think a case study in much the same findings. When Blazer can run with Tenex or Lapua or other expensive premium brands, it will probably make most raise eyebrows. But it happens.

I had to laugh out loud personally by one post in this thread mentioning Federal AutoMatch. Not because Federal Automatch is bad ammo, because it isn't. It's good ammo, and sometimes it's very good ammo, in most anything I've ever shot it in. But in MY 10/22, where Federal was one of the ammo choices I tested? It was far and away the worst performer. It was literally god awful. I mean memorably god awful to the extent that I've never seen 22 ammo shoot so poorly! As in, HUH? Is something LOOSE? Have I gotten ungodly sloppy or tired, now 4 brands into my test? THAT poorly. Repeatedly that poorly.

I think it fair to generalize that certain brands MAY shoot well for most folks in most guns, and most of the time. But beyond that, I believe that all bets are off. We'll never see it published, but I'd be willing to bet that if the very same rifles were used to fire the very same brands, with the very same shooter in the very same conditions? BUT---the lot numbers of the ammo is now changed? You'd see some results that were similar, but many others different, and with more than a few shockingly different.

To me anyway, its about finding a lot of ammo your rimfire rifle shoots well. If you find it? Then marry it. Buy that lot in bulk. Toss the wife out of bed, and give it her pillow. Treasure it. Because once it's gone, you'll very likely be looking to put the magic genie you found, back in the bottle. As in, you'll have some possible better brand name candidates you may think to look at. But you'll effectively, be very much looking from scratch, and all over again.

leomort

Jul 31, 2020
    Thank you, Blacksmith101 and Uncle_Duke! Squirrel head accuracy at 50yars is my measure as well. And I hope the 22lr like CCI mini mag hp as that's my favorite. I also bought the Ruger 10/22 as to see "what I was missing". It's a fun rifle and a great one to tinker with.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Aside of the 10/22 I built, my five 4 or 5 were a huge yawn. Taking the chance on a recent one (TD) lead me to believe a decently accurate, reliable 10/22 could exist out of the box.

Last edited:

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Funny you mention this.

My standard is also "squirrel accurate." Specifically, squirrel head at 50 yards accurate.

When I first bought my 10/22, really to see what I was missing in never having owned one? I tested 7 or 8 different brands of ammo against that very standard.

5 brands through my testing, I had pretty much made up my mind that my factory stock 10/22 would never meet that standard. And with most of those brands tested, it didn't even come close. It looked to me for awhile that "what I was missing" in not having owned a 10/22, was absolutely nothing. Because to me, a rifle that won't shoot "minute of squirrel", is a rifle I really have no further use for, and even less interest in.

It was my next round with CCI standard that began to give me hope for that rifle. It was Aguila Super Extra that made me want to keep it.

So what does my story mean for others? I'd suggest that it almost surely doesn't mean that buying particular brand names will magically transform a rifle. A quick review of the posts in this thread alone, looking for positive comments by brand names mentioned, shows positive comments for SSI, CCI standard, Aguila SE, Lapua, SK, Federal Auto Match, and Blazer. Who's right? I'm convinced that, in THEIR gun and (equally likely) in THEIR GUN ALONE, they are probably ALL right. Blacksmith's charts
    (good stuff Blacksmith101...thanks!) are I think a case study in much the same findings. When Blazer can run with Tenex or Lapua or other expensive premium brands, it will probably make most raise eyebrows. But it happens.

I had to laugh out loud personally by one post in this thread mentioning Federal AutoMatch. Not because Federal Automatch is bad ammo, because it isn't. It's good ammo, and sometimes it's very good ammo, in most anything I've ever shot it in. But in MY 10/22, where Federal was one of the ammo choices I tested? It was far and away the worst performer. It was literally god awful. I mean memorably god awful to the extent that I've never seen 22 ammo shoot so poorly! As in, HUH? Is something LOOSE? Have I gotten ungodly sloppy or tired, now 4 brands into my test? THAT poorly. Repeatedly that poorly.

I think it fair to generalize that certain brands MAY shoot well for most folks in most guns, and most of the time. But beyond that, I believe that all bets are off. We'll never see it published, but I'd be willing to bet that if the very same rifles were used to fire the very same brands, with the very same shooter in the very same conditions? BUT---the lot numbers of the ammo is now changed? You'd see some results that were similar, but many others different, and with more than a few shockingly different.

To me anyway, its about finding a lot of ammo your rimfire rifle shoots well. If you find it? Then marry it. Buy that lot in bulk. Toss the wife out of bed, and give it her pillow. Treasure it. Because once it's gone, you'll very likely be looking to put the magic genie you found, back in the bottle. As in, you'll have some possible better brand name candidates you may think to look at. But you'll effectively, be very much looking from scratch, and all over again.

If you doubt what Uncle Duke says here is a link to the Eley Test Ranges page which is how the Olympic Class shooters pick their lot of ammo and they will buy as much as they can afford and will cry when it is gone. Then they go back to a test range and start again.

Link to Eley Test Ranges:
    https://eley.co.uk/test-ranges/

Here is the story of how Eley decided to make the best .22 ammo in the UK and changed the way the world makes precision .22's.

Eley Ammunition - Accuracy And Innovation

https://www.shootingtimes.com/editorial/eley-ammunition-accuracy-and-innovation/99080

Answering the challenge, Eley engineers identified 50 primary variables, such as bullet mass, case internal volume, and propellant charge mass. Then they determined 200 secondary variables, including things like the ambient humidity in the assembly facility, the metallurgy of the cases, and human competence. Finally, they identified 700 tertiary variables. These subtle things turned out to be the ultimate keys. One example is the weather conditions in the country where the propellant powder is manufactured on the day that particular lot of powder was mixed. Another is manufacturing "lots" of Tenex that consist of one day's run from a single loading machine because the weather is different each day.

My eyes were opened over 40 years ago. I bought my son a used Winchester 52 to compete with. I had heard about .22's having favorite ammo so I decided to try some different types I had several choices on the shelf but to make it really comprehensive I visited every local gun shop and ammo retailer in the area and bought a box of every different .22 I could find. I then went to the AGC range and mounted multiple bullseye targets on my target stand and shot 5 round groups and recorded which ammo shot which group. I shot all the groups from the bench with a front support and never changed anything except the ammo. To my surprise not only did the groups vary in group size they also moved in relation to the point of aim some higher or lower and windage changes also. This testing convinced me.

Later we did some tests with club rifles all the same Remington 513's. The ammo selection was not as extensive but we tried what the club could buy in bulk at a reasonable price. And we found some of the rifles preferred one brand ammo and other rifles liked something else so for practical purposes we settled on the two best brands that worked best in most of the guns.

Go and try it yourself .22 rifles are ammo specific, there is no one size fits all.

If you want to know why I suggest you look into barrel harmonics, you will need to be a better physicist, engineer, and materials guy than I am to understand it all.

Here is a link to get you started (he has more links on his side bar and at the end of his page):
    https://varmintal.com/amode.htm

-Mil-Surp-Phreak-

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2007
    Gaithersburg
    That's rather neat. Especially on sale. I'm not planning to get one but still neat.
    Let us know how much work to clean it and if it affects accuracy with the fit. I personally don't like alot of disconnection of the barrel to the scope fitment. when you add more parts to connect something to something else, bad things happen with repeatability.
    Got here today and like other people who reviewed it have said I had to shave down the front tab a bit where the action pivots into the chasis to get it to fit but it is now snug as a bug in a rug. Won't hit the range until next month at least but will report back on accuracy with the rifle in new chasis.

bigD

Ole Cowboy
    Jun 6, 2012
    More than one 10/22 all varying in accuracies

Out of the box most 10/22s will shoot to a minute of squirrel. However, this depends on model in 22LR. The carbine with a barrel band seems to change harmonics in such a manner to open up impacts and add to fliers. Still minute of squirrel but barely and still will run ok in steel challenges under 35 yards, when I use a red dot.
    However, one modification must be done and that is the bolt release. With mod the bolt will release on pull back, while without it, pushing the lever while wiggling the bolt will frustrate to language formerly attributed to a sailor. 2nd a Trigger job may get you even one-half minute of squirrel.
    3rd determine what ammo is its friend.
    One of my other highly modified 10/22 action with a Green mountain barrel, 2 lb trigger, and SK Standard plus ammo that gives me hits at 25 & 35 yards on 1/4 in KYL; 2 moa to 300 yards; 400 yards on a 24sq plate & 36 square at 500 yards, all when I do my part.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom