• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigred

Ultimate Member
    Nov 18, 2009
    Middle River
    If I were to see a rifle at a gun shop in another state that I wanted. Would I be able to just do the Nic’s check and buy it or would I need to have it shipped to a Maryland FFL?

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    As long as it was legal to own in MD just the NICS check and you're on your way.

If the FFL doesn't have a policy against it

aklax11

Jan 8, 2015
    I'd give them a call...ffls seem to be highly variable on whether they will sell to out of state. Whether adjacent state or multiple states over

SpecE46

Nov 19, 2020
    Cecil Co
    Last September I bought 3 rifles from a Walmart in PA, back when they had them on clearance. there was a long wait on the phone for NICS check, but otherwise cash and carry.

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    Last September I bought 3 rifles from a Walmart in PA, back when they had them on clearance. there was a long wait on the phone for NICS check, but otherwise cash and carry.

You lucked out...or WalMart changed their policy again. About 5 years ago I was looking to buy a Ruger American 243 since WalMart had them on clearance. My local Walmart didn’t have one, but two different wal mart stores in WV and one in PA had them. They refused to sell them to me stating that wal mart changed their policy to only selling firearms to the residents of the state that the wal mart was in. I didn’t believe them because in years past I had bought a firearm at a wal mart that was located in different state than I resided. I called corporate headquarters and was told that the stores were correct...due to so many different laws in each state that wal mart stores would only sell firearms to residents of the state in which the store was located.
    Although I understand that the laws very state to state, it’s kind of irritating that some FFLs refuse to sell to residents of certain states. Laws and regulations are a microsecond click away, so it’s not like they can’t quickly determine what is and isn’t legal in a certain state. If it’s questionable, they can call the state. But those types don’t want to put any effort into helping customers and the 2nd Amendment. It’s a FEDERAL Firearms License, not a STATE Firearms License. Hate to say it, but sometimes FFLs are just as much of an enemy as the gun grabbing politicians because of lack of education or willingness to look into things.

SpecE46

Nov 19, 2020
    Cecil Co
    You lucked out...or WalMart changed their policy again. About 5 years ago I was looking to buy a Ruger American 243 since WalMart had them on clearance. My local Walmart didn’t have one, but two different wal mart stores in WV and one in PA had them. They refused to sell them to me stating that wal mart changed their policy to only selling firearms to the residents of the state that the wal mart was in. I didn’t believe them because in years past I had bought a firearm at a wal mart that was located in different state than I resided. I called corporate headquarters and was told that the stores were correct...due to so many different laws in each state that wal mart stores would only sell firearms to residents of the state in which the store was located.
    Although I understand that the laws very state to state, it’s kind of irritating that some FFLs refuse to sell to residents of certain states. Laws and regulations are a microsecond click away, so it’s not like they can’t quickly determine what is and isn’t legal in a certain state. If it’s questionable, they can call the state. But those types don’t want to put any effort into helping customers and the 2nd Amendment. It’s a FEDERAL Firearms License, not a STATE Firearms License. Hate to say it, but sometimes FFLs are just as much of an enemy as the gun grabbing politicians because of lack of education or willingness to look into things.

I have to admit, I was a bit surprised myself, as buying guns from WM is in general a whole other experience and ordeal. The local WMs here in Cecil Co told me they would not sell to out of state residents. Heck, most of the time they didn’t even want to sell to MD residents and told all manner of lies to try to get out of having to deal with a gun sale. I guess it’s a moot point now as neither carries guns anymore but the store in PA.... I believe it was in or near Camp Hill, was cool about it. That was actually one of my 1st questions before a asked to see the guns, and they had no problem with my being from MD. The background check took a lot longer than in MD (2hrs vs 5 mins) but the prices made it worth the wait. I definitely got lucky that day on the deal.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Pretty sure it has to be an adjacent state.

Not since 1986.

GCA 68 put in the restriction to adjacent state, but only if your home state had a law allowing you to buy in adjacent states. 49 states passed such laws, only DE did not.

FOPA 86 removed the adjacent state restriction. However, some state laws, enacted as required by GCA 68, ONLY allowed purchase in adjacent states, so technically, residents of those states had to abide by that restriction. But I am not sure anyone paid attention to those restrictions.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    WRT Walmart, I ran into this in 1982. I was stationed in NM, and was at the Oshman's Sporting Goods in El Paso. And they would not sell to me as I was not a TX resident.

I had to go through the Rod and Gun Club. They actually let me hand carry a copy of the FFL, acting as an agent, to drive down, pick it up, come back, and did the transfer from the club FFL to me, in the guy's dining room. :D

Cabela's in DE is known for not selling MD residents any rifle with a greater than 10 round mag. They will not even sell to you and pull the mag out. But they will sell you that same greater than 10 round magazine, not with a rifle.

larr

Apr 1, 2011
    Easternshore
    In 2019 I drove to Arizona and every gun store I stopped at from Tennessee to Arizona would not transfer a shotgun to me. A couple would ship it to Maryland but would not transfer it. I asked them why and they told me that the atf sent a letter stating not to sell to Maryland residents and a few more states here on the east coast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom