• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • capt14k

Jul 27, 2015
    I'll be headed down to Maryland right after Easter to pick up my lastest Import from Germany. This one took a lot less time; under 6 months from completion of buying to having in hand. A preview of crests is below. Was working with seller's pics so some aren't the best quality.

Will be back in couple months for Finnish import which is mostly Handguns.
    b7b0ad44824e93c6678dcd22278717b2.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

capt14k

Jul 27, 2015
    Some came from Hermann. Some from dealers. Some from other auctions. All are all matching.

(4) Hungarian 91/30 and the rest are Mausers.

In order from top left to right .

1952 Hungarian 48.M Infantry
    1951 Hungarian 48.M Infantry
    1908 Uruguayan Short Rifle
    1922 FN Brazilian Carbine
    1924 FN Mexican Carbine
    1952 Hungarian 48.M Infantry
    vz37 Uruguayan
    1950 Hungarian 48.M Infantry
    1908/34 Brazilian
    1929/34 Colombian Steyr Solothurn
    vz32 Peruvian

Not pictured a Hungarian Communist Era .22 Trainer 48M Kispuska

I need a handguard for vz32 Peruvian if anyone has one. There is a hole in the one on it.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Speaking for moi I'm so curious as to the back story, please share if you're OK with it. There's so much neat stuff in Europe that we rarely or never have access to but the logistics and cost can be daunting. I know one thing, buying in bulk gets the unit cost of importing down to manageable levels.
    Really excited to see what you got out of Finland. Beretta? Luger? High Power? Valmet L-35?

capt14k

Jul 27, 2015
    Speaking for moi I'm so curious as to the back story, please share if you're OK with it. There's so much neat stuff in Europe that we rarely or never have access to but the logistics and cost can be daunting. I know one thing, buying in bulk gets the unit cost of importing down to manageable levels.
    Really excited to see what you got out of Finland. Beretta? Luger? High Power? Valmet L-35?
    I got tired of rising prices here and availability. There are surplus rifles in Germany that were never brought here. For instance all the Uruguayan Mausers. They were all bought by Frankonia from Uruguay. They aren't common in Germany, but they exist. Other countries have certain firearms too that you don't find here or are much cheaper there. For Instance South Africa Colonial Mausers, Australia No1 MkI Enfields, Canada Swedish Mausers, and of course Finland all Finnish Arms.

I think I have one of the only matching 1908 Uruguayans in America, which I imported a couple years ago. 1908 Uruguayan Short I've never seen one here, and only non matching there. When a matching one came up for sale I had to buy it, and thus import began, and it snowballed. Vz37 Uruguayan Simpsons had one for sale for $3600 for years. I offered them $2400, they declined, then it finally sold. I loved the look of that rifle so I made finding a matching example a priority. I saved a lot of money buying it there.

Yes the more you bring in the less it costs per rifle. Though it is more costly than 2-3 years ago. A single rifle will run $1,000-$1200 to import. 2 rifles $500-600 each. 17 rifles avg per rifle price was $295. Last time 8 rifles avg price was $225 a rifle. Costs are permits here, permits there, importer and exporter fees, shipping, and import tax.

In Finland I have a few friends and one informed me of a museum that was closing. I was offered a 1916 Contract Colt at a price I couldn't refuse. Then one of my friends offered me some of his pistols, then another one of his, and finally another a bunch of his. Unlike Germany all were private sales. When it was said and done I ended up with

(5) 1st Series Lahtis Matching
    2nd Series Lahti Matching
    3rd Series Lahti Matching Cache Pistol
    2nd Series Lahti Matching except bolt
    1916 Colt Contract Pistol Original
    1941 Kongsberg Colt w/ Holster and 3 mag pouch with mags matching except safety
    1907 Browning SA marked Matching
    Finnish Contract High Power Matching
    Finnish M/08 9mm Luger Matching except barrel
    Finnish M/23 .30 Luger Matching except mag
    Another Hungarian 91/30 Matching
    8007257a8007c59229ee4d77811b3a63.jpg
    db4b9be9e47ee4172f489bea1d32608e.jpg
    c9d485cf2bbd589712108dc0dcd704f1.jpg
    29f947b13b6063bc137faf4a8c401334.jpg

Sundancer

Feb 2, 2013
    Harford County
    I guess I will be the first to say this is quite amazing and impressive! As a collector, this kind of a haul seems like something special. Very nice, sir!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

capt14k

Jul 27, 2015
    I guess I will be the first to say this is quite amazing and impressive! As a collector, this kind of a haul seems like something special. Very nice, sir!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Thank you

capt14k

Jul 27, 2015
    Very nice and you have to go through all that paperwork to import!
    Thank you Honestly the importer and exporter do all the work and it is electronically now. My job is to find them, pay for them, and pick them up.

Edit: And to be patient. That can be the hardest part.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Thank you Honestly the importer and exporter do all the work and it is electronically now. My job is to find them, pay for them, and pick them up.

Edit: And to be patient. That can be the hardest part.

How exactly do you go about it? I'm taking a trip across the pond next summer and will be in France, Germany, and Austria. What would you say the cost of export/import is per item?

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    I'm not enough of a SA Mauser collector to fully appreciate what you imported but the pistols are a totally different matter! I know of someone here who's gonna have kittens over this thread. As for me, I'm gob smacked, that's an insane cache of high grade Finn pistols. I'm beyond envy.
    Thanks for the update on prices. 3-4 years ago I started to consider the same route you went and at the time it was around $800-900 in fees/shipping cost for a single item. Using an auction as a source is crazy difficult because you have to be high bidder on multiple lots and keep the prices reasonable. Not an easy thing to do. But going the private sale route requires what most of us don't have: friends abroad who can help in the search.

capt14k

Jul 27, 2015
    I'm not enough of a SA Mauser collector to fully appreciate what you imported but the pistols are a totally different matter! I know of someone here who's gonna have kittens over this thread. As for me, I'm gob smacked, that's an insane cache of high grade Finn pistols. I'm beyond envy.
    Thanks for the update on prices. 3-4 years ago I started to consider the same route you went and at the time it was around $800-900 in fees/shipping cost for a single item. Using an auction as a source is crazy difficult because you have to be high bidder on multiple lots and keep the prices reasonable. Not an easy thing to do. But going the private sale route requires what most of us don't have: friends abroad who can help in the search.
    Single item is now more like $1200. So yes you need to be able to buy minimum of 4 IMO. In Germany I was able to both times buy over a period of 6 months, but again it requires a friend who is able to facilitate in having the rifles shipped to them and to arrange for the storage of them. Obviously it needs to be someone you trust.

Also for those bothered by any import mark, this is not a good route for you. Since everything must be import marked, but the import mark of importer I use is very discrete, unlike the Century Billboards.

Also the only reason I don't have Finnish Sky Berettas is because they can't be imported. Same goes for vz38 aka Finnish P39(t) can not be imported. All handguns must meet ATF points minimum. Obviously this is not an issue for Lahtis, Lugers, Hi Powers, and 1911s. However U.S. military used firearms can not be imported. So no chance finding WWI U.S. Property Colt 1911 cheap and bringing it home.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Single item is now more like $1200. So yes you need to be able to buy minimum of 4 IMO. In Germany I was able to both times buy over a period of 6 months, but again it requires a friend who is able to facilitate in having the rifles shipped to them and to arrange for the storage of them. Obviously it needs to be someone you trust.

Also for those bothered by any import mark, this is not a good route for you. Since everything must be import marked, but the import mark of importer I use is very discrete, unlike the Century Billboards.

Also the only reason I don't have Finnish Sky Berettas is because they can't be imported. Same goes for vz38 aka Finnish P39(t) can not be imported. All handguns must meet ATF points minimum. Obviously this is not an issue for Lahtis, Lugers, Hi Powers, and 1911s. However U.S. military used firearms can not be imported. So no chance finding WWI U.S. Property Colt 1911 cheap and bringing it home.

I knew enough to steer clear of original T-33s, knowing they couldn't be imported (boo hiss). And see the logic behind the Vz38 too. But wondering why Beretta 1934s can't as they have a manual safety that those others lack. Interesting...
    Glad you mentioned re-importing US military arms that were lend lease. Forgot about that twist.

capt14k

Jul 27, 2015
    I knew enough to steer clear of original T-33s, knowing they couldn't be imported (boo hiss). And see the logic behind the Vz38 too. But wondering why Beretta 1934s can't as they have a manual safety that those others lack. Interesting...

Glad you mentioned re-importing US military arms that were lend lease. Forgot about that twist.
    Berettas fall short due to size. Here is how the ATF determines if a handgun can be imported. If we/they have calculated wrong that would be great. If anyone comes up with enough points let me know. I have a line on Sky Marked Beretta. I have thought about trying to get target grips which means they have finger grooves in them and adjustable front sight in hopes of making the point criteria.

e14b4caba3e850d9b4285ee30f0646ff.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom