• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scorpioj

Feb 27, 2017
    US of A
    Hey guys. Considering upgrading my MOSS 500 12 gauge with a 28" multi-purpose barrel. (If I can find one) Cost seems to hover around 250. Also saw Savage/Stevens 320 w/28" barrel new for around same price. The need for the 28" is infrequent Trap shooting with friends and possibly hunting? thoughts? Should I get the the Mossberg Upgrade or is the Stevens a "reasonable" acquisition? I don't necessarily "NEED" another gun but the pricing is so close.

Scorpioj

Feb 27, 2017
    US of A
    Trouble

Luckily I am the man of the house and control all things in it AFTER i receive my wife's approval. SO I can only do one at this time.:D

Hahahaha, it's thinking like this which perpetually gets me in trouble with the wife. She'll never understand why I want both the P365 and the P365XL :lol:

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    I would do the new gun, complete.

Swapping barrels can be ok, I have 3 rigs like that. But it’s not like you could having a 2nd you could loan or take a friend hunting with.

The flexibility of 2 separate guns is better. IMHO.

That said, my 870 with a bird and slug barrel is a good combo.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Just trying to keep straight :

Do you presently have a M500 with a 28in bbl , and want to upgrade that ?

Or you presently have a M500 with other than a 28in bbl , and want to aquire an Additional bbl , that happens to be 28in ?

Scorpioj

Feb 27, 2017
    US of A
    Just trying to keep straight :

Do you presently have a M500 with a 28in bbl , and want to upgrade that ?

Or you presently have a M500 with other than a 28in bbl , and want to aquire an Additional bbl , that happens to be 28in ?
    I presently have an M500 with the 18" barrel. I am looking to acquire a 28" multi-purpose.

Scorpioj

Feb 27, 2017
    US of A
    I would do the new gun, complete.

Swapping barrels can be ok, I have 3 rigs like that. But it’s not like you could having a 2nd you could loan or take a friend hunting with.

The flexibility of 2 separate guns is better. IMHO.

That said, my 870 with a bird and slug barrel is a good combo.
    while I agree that 2 would be nice,

1. I don't have any friends I would let hold my gun. I don't like people that much.
    2. No one has said anything that gives me a warm and fuzzy about the Savage/ Stevens 320. I am "interested" but want any real world experience information.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    You mentioned a wife . If you don't trust your wife with a shotgun , that's a bigger issue than Mossberg vs Stevens .

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Hey guys. Considering upgrading my MOSS 500 12 gauge with a 28" multi-purpose barrel. (If I can find one) Cost seems to hover around 250. Also saw Savage/Stevens 320 w/28" barrel new for around same price. The need for the 28" is infrequent Trap shooting with friends and possibly hunting? thoughts? Should I get the the Mossberg Upgrade or is the Stevens a "reasonable" acquisition? I don't necessarily "NEED" another gun but the pricing is so close.

I would check some local pawn shops first. I picked up a like new barrel for a M500 last summer for $80.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    If I wanted to be taken out with a sense of style and elan , I'd hold out for better than a Mossberg .

I'll leave out the context for the moment , but one example would be someone on the receiving end of Ruger Blackhawk .41mag , with handloaded SWC .

On further reflection , a Mossberg Jungle Gun would have. Sufficient style , but not a pedestrian M500 .

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I have used the following Mossberg barrels on my Mossberg 500:
    28” field vent rib barrel, with choke tubes;
    a different 28” vent rib barrel cut to 21”, drilled and tapped for front bead;
    24” rifled slug barrel with rifle sights;
    24” smooth bore with rifle sights, IC or Mod fixed choke, don’t recall. Shoots good;
    18.5” cylinder bore barrel with bead front sights.

I feel most comfortable and find most utility from the 24” rifle sight smooth bore.
    I would understand keeping the 18” tube for home defense.

Sirex