• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Overwatch326

Aug 13, 2016
    Picked up this little beauty today, an old Winchester 1885 Low Wall chambered in .410; from what I've been able to find on the serial number, looks like she's either an 1890 or 1891.

I'm gonna have a gunsmith check it out first before I even think about shooting it, but I'm wondering if anyone has any more information on these? I'm guessing she might be black powder, but I can't seem to find any info on .410 black powder ammo. Could maybe a reduced smokeless load work? The chamber's able to accommodate 3" shells, but I'm not sure that's a good idea, either.

Overwatch326

Aug 13, 2016
    Someone must have had it rechambered as I believe the 3 inch shell didn't come about until the 1930's.

Yeah, that's the impression I had. The barrel isn't octagonal like the 1885s should be, and it's got a front bead sight, plus a solid rib the length of the barrel.

The chamber may seem long because there has to be room for the crimp to open.

The length of a shotgun shell is measured with the crimp open so a loaded 3” shell is actually well under the 3 inch max.

Ah, that's fair. I'd figured it was meant to be used with brass hulls, but that makes sense.

Well, I guess we'll see what a smith says. I was thinking of taking it to Bollinger's, or Scott's--though the latter is closed tomorrow--unless anyone can recommend another? Garrett at Engage always seems to be busy, and he's told me the old stuff isn't his forte.

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    First, we need photos.

Second, this is kind of old. You may want a newer gun. I'll stop by and pick this thing up. I won't even charge you.

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    Yeah, that's the impression I had. The barrel isn't octagonal like the 1885s should be, and it's got a front bead sight, plus a solid rib the length of the barrel.

Original 1885s could have round, half octagon and full octagon barrels. Brief research shows round to be the most common. 20ga is the only shotgun chambering I found for originals but there is a caveat in most articles about there being no true "standard" 1885 due to the huge number of options available and most being ordered from the factory with what options the customer wanted.

Overwatch326

Aug 13, 2016
    Original 1885s could have round, half octagon and full octagon barrels. Brief research shows round to be the most common. 20ga is the only shotgun chambering I found for originals but there is a caveat in most articles about there being no true "standard" 1885 due to the huge number of options available and most being ordered from the factory with what options the customer wanted.

Ohh, all right. Good to know; I'd found the info on octagon and half-octagon barrels, but I didn't see anything about round ones, nor custom orders. Thanks for the info!

HiStandards

Aug 1, 2017
    Anne Arundel Co
    Back in the day, Winchester would build almost any custom variation you could dream up and afford. Also 1885 receivers were used for a lot of gunsmith custom builds before WWII.

Do your own research, but .45-70 black powder and .410 smokeless are pretty close in chamber pressure.

Overwatch326

Aug 13, 2016
    Back in the day, Winchester would build almost any custom variation you could dream up and afford. Also 1885 receivers were used for a lot of gunsmith custom builds before WWII.

Do your own research, but .45-70 black powder and .410 smokeless are pretty close in chamber pressure.

Hmm, interesting. I'm actually brand new to loading my own shells; can you recommend a low-power .410 slug load? My Hornady reloading guide doesn't have any info for .410, unfortunately. :(

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    Ohh, all right. Good to know; I'd found the info on octagon and half-octagon barrels, but I didn't see anything about round ones, nor custom orders. Thanks for the info!

You're welcome. Take the fore end off and see if there are any markings under the wood, it might help narrow down when the barrel was made.

Overwatch326

Aug 13, 2016
    You're welcome. Take the fore end off and see if there are any markings under the wood, it might help narrow down when the barrel was made.

Will do. I'm a little hesitant to take the forearm off at the moment, since it looks like it's been repaired in the past, but when I get it looked at, I'll post an update!

Overwatch326

Aug 13, 2016
    Hey, sorry for the delay! I got her back from the folks at Bollinger's a couple weeks ago, and totally forgot to update. So, good news: the Gunsmith there said she should be able to handle smokeless .410 loads! ...He then gave me a look I've seen many a time from my Dad and Grandpa and said something to the effect of, "But I don't know why you would want to shoot any .410s through it." :innocent0 lol

I can respect his opinion; it is easily over 100 years old, and I'd hate for anything to happen to it. I doubt I'll shoot it often, less chances to tempt fate and all that, but I've gotta try it at least once or twice, right? :D

I don't know much about reloading, but I've seen some interesting videos on light loads that use a Hornady .40 cal ball as a slug? Any recommendations? I know I picked like the worst possible time to get interested in handloading, but... :sad20:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom