• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shocker998md

Ultimate Member
    May 29, 2009
    Snow Hill MD
    Looking for input to what the latest and greatest would be for 458 socom. Ive got a 12.5 tromix id love to suppress and at the moment only have a silencerco chimera, octane45 and neither will work.

mtlcafan79

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2008
    PG
    When I was considering a project like this it was between a Bowers VERS 458 for the most volume, or a Lane Scorpion 458 if you wanted something in titanium.

shocker998md

Ultimate Member
    May 29, 2009
    Snow Hill MD
    When I was considering a project like this it was between a Bowers VERS 458 for the most volume, or a Lane Scorpion 458 if you wanted something in titanium.

Yea those are the two ive been looking at, I just didnt know if there were any other solid contenders. I havent looked into it seriously for a year or so.

shocker998md

Ultimate Member
    May 29, 2009
    Snow Hill MD
    SiCo Hybrid is another serious contender.

Since all three of my other suppressors are silencerco that was my first thought, but with many things in life ive found jack of all trades isn't a master of one. Not sure if that would be the case on thise one due to the bower having more tube volume to quite it down

motox79

May 24, 2010
    damascus
    I’m doing a build in 450BM and decided to try the Griffin Bushwacker46. Titanium can, stainless baffles. Can use on several rifle (can get a .22 or .30 cal cap to aid suppression. Rated for 5.56@9.5”,.308@12.5”,even 300winmag @16”) I’ll let you know how it works in about 6 months!

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Since all three of my other suppressors are silencerco that was my first thought, but with many things in life ive found jack of all trades isn't a master of one. Not sure if that would be the case on thise one due to the bower having more tube volume to quite it down

If you added 3.5” of barrel you could go rugged obsidian 45. But only rated for 450BM/458socom at 16”.

A lot lighter than most 45 rifle cans. Probably not as quiet as a dedicated 45/50 rifle can.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    There just aren’t many manufacturers making the suppressors a round like this deserves. Someone needs to market a 2-1/2 to 3” diameter suppressor.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    There just aren’t many manufacturers making the suppressors a round like this deserves. Someone needs to market a 2-1/2 to 3” diameter suppressor.

You’d really need an eccentric/offset suppressor. A 2.5-3” diameter suppressor even with a high mount optic is going to block a lot of your view in a scope.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    You’d really need an eccentric/offset suppressor. A 2.5-3” diameter suppressor even with a high mount optic is going to block a lot of your view in a scope.
    I am not sure why you think this. There's ~1.25" from the center of the bore to the rail, and then you've got another 1.5-1.6" after that for a co-witness height optic. Keep in mind that a 3" diameter suppressor is 1.5" radius out from the center of the bore. It will come nowhere near the field of view of your optic or irons.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I am not sure why you think this. There's ~1.25" from the center of the bore to the rail, and then you've got another 1.5-1.6" after that for a co-witness height optic. Keep in mind that a 3" diameter suppressor is 1.5" radius out from the center of the bore. It will come nowhere near the field of view of your optic or irons.

I just taped a 3" diameter piece of paper to the front of the muzzle on my 16" AR. It doesn't block my optics view entirely, but it is clearly visible in my red dot. Did the same on my 20" and it does block part of my view at low power (disappeared somewhere around 4 or 5x?). Doesn't get in the way of BUIS, but still there blocking some of my view.

The utility would be massively impacted on anything with a low optics height making it pretty niche.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Sorry, but a 3" diameter circle won't do that on an AR15. A 3" RADIUS circle could. I just conducted your experiment using a 3" piece of paper, and on 1x in my LPVO, it came nowhere near the ranging hashes on the reticle, let alone obscuring a large portion of the view. It was barely visible on 6x. So, no, still disagree. Perhaps we have a different view of what is a huge obscuring issue. FWIW, I can easily see a 1.5" diameter suppressor in my field of view, it just doesn't matter because very little that's interesting is going to be happening in that part of the optic.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom