• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I wouldn’t expect to see one in that condition for less than $1500.

I agree that some will pay that much, but I would say that is the current top. Check "completed auctions" There will be guns this nice for less than $1500 for a few more years.

There are always stupid auctions that run higher, I think there was one recently that went +$3,000, but its not typical.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Oh I'm definitely buying it, I just want to pay him a fair price. He's a friend and neither of us really know what it's worth. It is Begian made.

AFAIK the last fully made in Belgium ones are about 74.

Later ones, parts were made in Belgium and they were assembled in Portugal.

I have a 73 "C" prefix that is fully Belgium made.

Jul 1, 2012
    The adjustable rear sight is a desireable feature for most HP collectors.

yep, that's the "target" configuration. I am to be liking this one berry much :)

There's nothing wrong with it being assembled in Portugal, they are the same high-quality pistols.

You can't even find a beat-up POS Belgian HiPower for $800 anymore.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    yep, that's the "target" configuration. I am to be liking this one berry much :)

There's nothing wrong with it being assembled in Portugal, they are the same high-quality pistols.

The Portugese assembled Hi Powers are as well made as the Belgian made...but collectors want the Belgian made. It's similar with the Weatherby Mark V...the earlier West German made examples are what collectors go for even though the Japanese made Mark V rifles are considered better made.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium

I got this one 6 months ago for $550. It's a great shooter

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210424-120726_Chrome.jpg
      Screenshot_20210424-120726_Chrome.jpg
      47.2 KB · Views: 231

python

Apr 15, 2010
    AFAIK the last fully made in Belgium ones are about 74.

Later ones, parts were made in Belgium and they were assembled in Portugal.

I have a 73 "C" prefix that is fully Belgium made.

I have a 1982 production model made and assembled in Belgium. I believe the switch came in 1988. Those assembled in Portugal are marked as such.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    My only problem with the BHP is that the trigger reset is non-existent, which makes it kind of tough to use in an action shooting event. I have a BHP that was tuned by Don Williams over at The Action Works, and even a top-end trigger job just doesn't fix it. No idea if the old C&S SFS triggers were better, but when the Glock trigger is outperforming you, that's not a great place to be for an SAO pistol...

wabbit

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2010
    It doesn't appear to have any of those features. I guess I should post the pictures he sent me.

That looks like a Belgium made pistol with the original safety lever. I have a Hi-Power made under license in Argentina that I bought around 1988, and it has the same safety and hammer. I don't know the value of that gun, but it's no less than $1000, especially if it has only a few hundred rounds fired.

Does it have the magazine disconnect still in place? Do the magazines drop free?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I have a 1982 production model made and assembled in Belgium. I believe the switch came in 1988. Those assembled in Portugal are marked as such.

FN began assembling Hi Powers in Portugal in 1971 when they finished their facility there. Prior to that date, some hi powers were finished there in job shops.

The Hi Powers roll marked FN were made in Belgium and assembled in Portugal but never so marked. The only guns roll marked "assembled in Portugal" are the Browning brands intended for the US. FN does not make that distinction on their pistols so marked.

There is no requirement by any US government agency that imported firearms be so marked. The only requirement is that they be marked with country of manufacture.

Brownings roll marked with 'Portugal' began with the introduction of the MK II in the late 70' although being assembled there for many years previously. No one at Browning will discuss the practice. It is thought that they mis interpeted a US tariff regulation.

So it seems my 1973 C High Power is likely to have been assembled in Portugal also.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    I doubt it. I have been looking at old handguns looking worse and they are at least 900 bucks or more.

I paid about half that for one I bought last year. I have owned about a half dozen+ and never paid top dollar for any of them. $800 is 95% book value by one of the posts so, that is a fair price to pay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom