• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MDElite

Industry Partner
    Mar 16, 2011
    My only problem with the BHP is that the trigger reset is non-existent, which makes it kind of tough to use in an action shooting event. I have a BHP that was tuned by Don Williams over at The Action Works, and even a top-end trigger job just doesn't fix it. No idea if the old C&S SFS triggers were better, but when the Glock trigger is outperforming you, that's not a great place to be for an SAO pistol...
    Did someone say Don Williams? I've got a few. Here is one and a Garthwaite.
    b18b743f39b2e8bbadc96da1ec8e8dc3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

knovotny

Feb 5, 2013
    Aberdeen, MD
    My only problem with the BHP is that the trigger reset is non-existent, which makes it kind of tough to use in an action shooting event. I have a BHP that was tuned by Don Williams over at The Action Works, and even a top-end trigger job just doesn't fix it. No idea if the old C&S SFS triggers were better, but when the Glock trigger is outperforming you, that's not a great place to be for an SAO pistol...

It's a good thing I'm not buying one to be an ace action shooting pistol then.

That looks like a Belgium made pistol with the original safety lever. I have a Hi-Power made under license in Argentina that I bought around 1988, and it has the same safety and hammer. I don't know the value of that gun, but it's no less than $1000, especially if it has only a few hundred rounds fired.

Does it have the magazine disconnect still in place? Do the magazines drop free?

I'm sure it does still have the magazine disconnect, the owner would not have removed that. I don't know if they drop free. The gun is currently out of state.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Did someone say Don Williams? I've got a few. Here is one and a Garthwaite.
    b18b743f39b2e8bbadc96da1ec8e8dc3.jpg
    I had Don fix up my Kareen MkIII, and I was very pleased with the results (albeit it took a couple trips due to a loose front sight)... it's arguably the apex of what the BHP could be. Just not much to be done about the trigger beyond polishing it up and so on.

ralph.mclean

GOC (Grumpy Old Cop)
    Jan 27, 2018
    Edgewater, MD
    Look at the prices on Gunbroker and Guns America. That will give you an idea of what is fair. Just keep in mind that prices are still inflated now because of high demand. No holster wear, and nearly 100% bluing, my guess is you will settle on about $1000 - $1100 bucks, if you are GOOD friends.

EODJoe

Sic Semper Tyrannis
    Jan 15, 2013
    Carroll County
    I have a T prefix made about 1969-70. The mags do not drop free if the mag safety is still installed. I paid $400 for it back in 1998. One of my absolute favorites. I wouldn't remove the mag safety but that's just me. $1k-1200 is a fair price from what I have seen. Enjoy!

python

Apr 15, 2010
    I have a T prefix made about 1969-70. The mags do not drop free if the mag safety is still installed. I paid $400 for it back in 1998. One of my absolute favorites. I wouldn't remove the mag safety but that's just me. $1k-1200 is a fair price from what I have seen. Enjoy!

I have several of the Browning branded "mouse trap" mags with the external spring. They pop right out when released. I don't modify guns, so the mag disconnect is intact.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Hey Katie! :wave: This is what the one I just picked up looks like. :rasp: It even fits in your holster (I tried already) :D
    20210507_175751.jpg

jet307

May 19, 2021
    Urbana, MD
    Can’t beat a hi-power

I have the mark 3 and practical both in 9mm. Awesome guns!

Attachments

• 13BBB7C3-62FC-4A80-9F99-0204A2AE496C.jpg
      13BBB7C3-62FC-4A80-9F99-0204A2AE496C.jpg
      117.2 KB · Views: 182
    • 88CE7894-12AD-47EA-824F-1AE238A87DB0.jpg
      88CE7894-12AD-47EA-824F-1AE238A87DB0.jpg
      84.5 KB · Views: 173

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    See that faint red inverted "L" shape?
    browning bite.jpg

That makes me wonder if JMB had lived long enough to finish his "masterpiece," maybe he'd have added a little beaver tail? :shrug:

(or is this why the ring hammer are more desirable? I may have to try one.)

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    You got adjustable rear sight on that gun. I wish I could have afforded one when I was buying my Hi-Power. I ended up with an Argentinian model.

I stumbled onto that pistol from a friend (who I think saw this thread). I really didn't think I was in the market for a Hi Power myself...but :shrug:

(:secret: Don't tell her, but my sights are better than Katies :rasp:)

((of course, that just means that if she wants to use the nicer sights...she'll just use mine:o))

knovotny

Feb 5, 2013
    Aberdeen, MD
    Tada! And as evidenced above, I got to shoot it today after picking it up last night. It has the less desirable "beer can" sights, but they worked just fine for me. It has the red grips. It feels nice in my hand and is pleasant to shoot once I figured out where to put my left thumb. *Small hand problems* i'm really pleased with it.

Attachments

• IMG_20210530_211232665.jpg
      IMG_20210530_211232665.jpg
      52.6 KB · Views: 130

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads