• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • deathracer

Feb 14, 2010
    I agree with the revolver recommendations. Easy to use and will always go bang when you pull the trigger. I might suggest a .357 magnum. If you can handle full power rounds, then great. If it's too much, you can drop down to a .38+p or just plain ol' .38. Lots of options in one (very reliable) gun.

I did not recommend the 357 if a female unfamiliar with it may need to use it. A 357 can be unexpecting to the non user.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Nothing wrong with .357 Mag Revolvers ... . When loaded with .38 +P .( Other than competing with S&W Collectors to purchase M19 .)

ralph.mclean

GOC (Grumpy Old Cop)
    Jan 27, 2018
    Edgewater, MD
    Home defense/reliable/less costly = Glock 19....

(As much as I hate to say it)

Revolvers are okay, but you are limited on ammo, and it will take longer to reload (unless you become EXTREMELY well-practiced). A G19 will give you 15 rounds of peace-of-mind...

I know, I know.... The "revolver guys," say that you will probably only need a couple of rounds, but what if you are the exception, rather than the rule. Better to be prepared for anything, rather than for "average"...

My personal preference would be a Sig P-226, but that is gonna cost you a pretty penny.

Last edited:

Travis Bickle

Jul 13, 2012
    MoCo
    Gonna get some blowback for this post, but I’ll say it. Revolvers are obsolete in the year 2021. No advantage other than maybe the ability to use underpowered loads if you are an inexperienced shooter.

Cost advantage of gun and ammo also goes to the modern 9mm polymer framed double stack striker fired if we are talking about reputable brands like S&W.

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    Gonna get some blowback for this post, but I’ll say it. Revolvers are obsolete in the year 2021. No advantage other than maybe the ability to use underpowered loads if you are an inexperienced shooter.

Cost advantage of gun and ammo also goes to the modern 9mm polymer framed double stack striker fired if we are talking about reputable brands like S&W.

38 +P isn't underpowered. Yes, there is a concern that you need more than 5-6 rounds. Then where does it end if you need more than 15 rounds in 9mm? 2 magazine of 15 rounds not enough...then what? Now the whole thing sounds like we are in the wild west time.

Last edited:

BTM9

Apr 20, 2021
    A Judge maybe ???

I have 2 Judges. I also have 1911's, other semi-autos and revolvers, but here's why this might be a good choice for only 1 gun. ?????
    One of mine is Stainless with a 6" barrel and 2.5" chamber.
    45 Long Colt and .410 shotshells and specialty .410 defense loads (plenty of choices for home defense or target shooting).
    5 shot single action/double action. Hi-Viz front sight. Nice ribbed rubber grips.
    A very friendly shooting gun !
    I picked up a set of cylinder adapters that let it shoot .22 also.
    The .22's aren't competiton or hunting accurate, but they make for cheap fun poppin' soda cans at around 5-10 yards.
    And it can be found in your $500 range !
    It's my 14 year old grandson's favorite handgun of a 30 count collection !

Unfortunately, for now, that no matter what your choice, I fear that your biggest problem could be finding reasonably priced ammo !!!

Johnny5k

Ultimate Member
    Nov 24, 2020
    I vote for the FN 509C Tactical. It is my favorite. Save a couple hundo by going for the non tactical version. I think RMR cut, w/ supp height sights, and threaded barrel are the only differences

RoanWrangler

Dec 29, 2020
    Thinking that you are likely looking at 9mm.

Springfield Armory RO 1911s are affordable. The finish may not be the best, but it is a tool. You can always spend more if the finish is a concern.

EAA Girsan 1911s are very affordable and are well made. They are mostly 1911 spec. Lots of feature for less than many other brands.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Hey guys so just started the process of getting my HQL, very confident I'll be approved for it, happy to be able to purchase a handgun again. I've been looking at some pistols and have narrowed it down to a few but I was curious if you guys had some suggestions. I'm looking for something for home defense, doesn't have massive recoil, ammo is inexpensive and easy to get. I was looking at possibly getting an inexpensive model 1911, something in the $500 range, and was curious if anyone had any recommendations for brands that make a good model 1911. I was also consider getting a 22mag, but I'm not sure how well that would go for home defense. I love historical firearms and stuff you don't see very often.

Summary
    1.suggestions on inexpensive model 1911's
    2. Suggestions on good home defense rounds/pistols
    3. Would a 22mag be good for home defense?

A picture is worth 1000 words;)
    broken-parts-300x225.jpg

1911s are not great first or only pistols, they take maintenance, they take tuning, and even a reliable pistol can jam up with tiny changes like ammo or mag brand changes. You also have to get away from the single stack 45 models if you want to meet your criteria for inexpensive ammo and light recoil. Best bet is a "working" pistol, something boring, double stack 9mm, simple and reliable, GLOCK 19/17, Sig P320, M&P, VP9 etc. Go for a 1911 for your 2nd pistol, Colt and Springfield are decent mid priced, RIA tends to funtion, but they can be rough, and it's generally worth the cost of a better pistol.

22mag handgun for home defense? no, just no. They have all the reliability issues of a rimfire with the inadequate ballistics of a 22LR, but a LOT more flash and noise as the extra power burns outside a pistol barrel and not in it.

Travis Bickle

Jul 13, 2012
    MoCo
    38 +P isn't underpowered. Yes, there is a concern that you need more than 5-6 rounds. Then where does it end if you need more than 15 rounds in 9mm? 2 magazine of 15 rounds not enough...then what? Now the whole thing sounds like we are in the wild west time.

In a home defense scenario (not in a law enforcement scenario)...the problem will be solved within two or three shots having been fired...one way or the other.

Respectfully, I disagree.

A .38 is underpowered compared to a modern 9mm defensive loading. Speer gold dot .38 special +P comes in at 222 foot pounds of energy. The same loading for 9mm +P is 410 foot pounds.

There is nothing wild or uncivilized about having 18 rounds on tap. Maybe you won’t need them all. But why not? Why choose an inferior option over the multiple 9mm polymer options out there? It’s simply the more practical tool.

IronDuck

MDS Supporter
    Jan 11, 2021
    Frederick ish MD
    There are some very smart people on this forum. They will provide tremendous input on a question like this.

Me I'm not one of them.

My two cents, get the Glock, load a good 9mm defensive round in it. It's a good reliable inexpensive handgun.
    Then get a 1911, then a Ruger or SW .40 cal, go dirty Harry next and

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Respectfully, I disagree.

A .38 is underpowered compared to a modern 9mm defensive loading. Speer gold dot .38 special +P comes in at 222 foot pounds of energy. The same loading for 9mm +P is 410 foot pounds.

There is nothing wild or uncivilized about having 18 rounds on tap. Maybe you won’t need them all. But why not? Why choose an inferior option over the multiple 9mm polymer options out there? It’s simply the more practical tool.

Figure police average somewhere around 20-30% hit rate in shootings, so 1 or 2 out out a revolver might find their target. Figure 15rds in a G19 will give the ability to place 3 times the hits, or better yet, a 30rd mag in a carbine with a stock to stabilize better. So yea, a 38 snubby is an effective weapon, but might not be the best one.

[Kev308]

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 23, 2020
    Maryland
    For your price range, I would recommend Springfield XD 9mm or 45acp, as well as a glock. If this will be your home defense gun, go for functionality, capacity, and not an aesthetic want. IMO

Johnny5k

Ultimate Member
    Nov 24, 2020
    I like to go by the Front Sight motto, ANY gun will do, If YOU do! or something to that effect.

The #1 most important thing about choosing a new handgun is getting one that you like. It has to be comfortable, and you have to like shooting it. Best advice is to rent as many as you can and shoot everything you can. Something that feels nice in the store could pinch or cut on the range, so live fire is best to evaluate, when you can. Recoil can vary greatly between different models. Get a sense of what you like and don't like, and start narrowing down the choices.

The second most important thing is to get some training. Every choice has trade offs, and most disadvantages can be overcome with some training. It can especially help provide direction to future practice sessions. Whatever you get, you can train with, and if you graduate to a different model later, much of the training and practice will translate. Once you have done some training and practice, you can really start to decide which specific features and ergonomics are best suited to you. Then its easier spending on more mags, spare parts, holsters, accesories and the like, because you know you put in the work and got something most suited to you personally.

I settled on my choice simply because it fit my hand perfectly and had all the features I was looking for. I would buy another 509 in a flash. In fact, I already have a (extra) spare set of all the Apex upgrades and maintenance parts set aside for a #2. I think that should ensure that I have a running 509 for the rest of my life, or at least until my next boating accident.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    22mag handgun for home defense? no, just no. They have all the reliability issues of a rimfire with the inadequate ballistics of a 22LR, but a LOT more flash and noise as the extra power burns outside a pistol barrel and not in it.

I have noticed that the magnum rimfires are prone to hang fire or misfire. Even worse is a semi-auto rimfire. If it doesn't go bang you have to cycle the slide. At least with a revolver you can just keep on pulling the trigger.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Figure police average somewhere around 20-30% hit rate in shootings, so 1 or 2 out out a revolver might find their target. Figure 15rds in a G19 will give the ability to place 3 times the hits, or better yet, a 30rd mag in a carbine with a stock to stabilize better. So yea, a 38 snubby is an effective weapon, but might not be the best one.

If one has the resources to buy a braced 5.56 pistol with a suppressor, that would really be hard to beat. Not too loud. Low flash. Handy enough for indoors. And I think 5.56 might actually be less likely to over penetrate than (say) 9mm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom