• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    That's funny, as that's exactly what the defendants are trying to convince the court. That being, that the plaintiffs are not having their 2nd Amendment rights violated by their magazine capacity limitation. And they're not, as they can still defend themselves with a 10rd magazine. Because they can exercise self defense, the core right protected under the 2nd Amendment, as far as the SCOTUS is concerned, there isn't an injury to ones constitutional right to keep and bear arms. But, you obviously think there's a damage, so please explain exactly what that damage is. How are plaintiffs not able to exercise their right to self defense with 10rd magazines?

Think as you will, I'm siding with Justice Brandeis and that isn't why they denied all those other cases. Yup, it's a complicated explanation isn't it. Commonly used magazines, that are a function of commonly used firearms.

This case has nothing in common with the license application case, and here, they'll deny certiorari for lack of a constitutional injury on both points.

The defendants are trying to convince the court that the plaintiffs have standing? I am not sure that is what the defendants are trying to do.

If standing were really just about they type of injury you are suggesting, why did SCOTUS take both NYSRPA cases (v NYC and v Bruen)? They took both cases because they have/had a way to resolve errors in the lower courts analysis.

The plaintiffs are not claiming that they cannot exercise the 2A with 10 rd mags, they are arguing that their rights are violated because they are limited to 10 rd mags.

One big hurdle jumped, now to see if it's relisted for its own consideration or held indefinitely pending NYSRPA.

They have relisted all the cases that they are going to relist and this case is not one of them. It appears that they are holding two cases so far, this case and Young. While this case is not exactly like NYSRPA, it appears that they may address the intermediate scrutiny standard which will directly affect this case.

777GSOTB

Mar 23, 2014
    The defendants are trying to convince the court that the plaintiffs have standing? I am not sure that is what the defendants are trying to do.

You should reread what I said. You've got it backwards.

If standing were really just about they type of injury you are suggesting, why did SCOTUS take both NYSRPA cases (v NYC and v Bruen)? They took both cases because they have/had a way to resolve errors in the lower courts analysis.

The NYC case violated a 2nd Amendment right as declared in DC v Heller, that being to have for immediate use, a firearm in ones home. This quite clearly includes the ability the get the firearm to the home in the first place. The Bruen case is to settle the circuit split, otherwise, they could have settled it in many of the other similar cases brought before them. And by the way, the court doesn't take circuit splits on the first split amongst the courts.

Or maybe the conservatives are concerned that the liberal government may decide to stack the court, and now is as good a time as any to rule on these issues.

The plaintiffs are not claiming that they cannot exercise the 2A with 10 rd mags, they are arguing that their rights are violated because they are limited to 10 rd mags.

That's the problem, having 10rds for defensive purposes doesn't stop you from defending yourself. Self defense being the core 2nd Amendment right, isn't violated.

They have relisted all the cases that they are going to relist and this case is not one of them. It appears that they are holding two cases so far, this case and Young. While this case is not exactly like NYSRPA, it appears that they may address the intermediate scrutiny standard which will directly affect this case.

It's a waiting game now, I would say.

krucam

Ultimate Member
    Bump. SCOTUS GVR back to CA3.
    1656604406260.png

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Does this mean that high cap mag ban states must void the bans and accept high cap mags now?

No. Prior precedent cannot be relied upon. The laws still need to be successfully challenged in order for them to be struck.

Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    I think Del. made a mad dash to get out ahead of the death of the AWB so as to make their subjects have to fight it out in court. I'm not even sure if the Del. Gov. signed it.
    Happy to stand corrected, if need be. Not searching.

Tebonski

Jan 23, 2013
    Harford County
    Okay, so my interpretation of the above krucam post means that states with high cap mag limits or bans must reconsider with the Bruen holding that their laws must be historical and if passed last week they’re void. Can someone please clarify? What does it mean for Marylanders?

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    Okay, so my interpretation of the above krucam post means that states with high cap mag limits or bans must reconsider with the Bruen holding that their laws must be historical and if passed last week they’re void. Can someone please clarify? What does it mean for Marylanders?
    Technically it means nothing for Marylanders as there is no active case addressing the MD mag limits. It will likely form the basis of a legal challenge if/when it gets challenged. It seems likely that those limits will be found to be unconstitutional.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Technically it means nothing for Marylanders as there is no active case addressing the MD mag limits. It will likely form the basis of a legal challenge if/when it gets challenged. It seems likely that those limits will be found to be unconstitutional.
    Yeah and it wouldn't immediately impact MD either, as NJ is in a different circuit. Now, if/when the 3rd and 9th toss the bans, it sets good precedent for the 4th where Maryland sits to also strike it down. But unless or until it goes back to SCOTUS and they hand down an opinion, there is nothing binding on Maryland until someone files suit against Maryland OR SOCTUS rule it is unconstitutional.

I suspect the 3rd and 9th are going to rule mag capacity limits are unconstitutional in light of the Bruen decision. However, as above. No immediate impact on MD even if they do. We aren't in the same circuit. So someone is going to have to file suit. Now if the 3rd or 9th decide against their own better logic that a magazine ban does not violate the text of the 2A and somehow decides there is some sort of historical precedent around when the 2nd and 14th were passed to have strict capacity limits on a firearm (I can't think of one single example, and there were for SURE multishot weapons when the 14th was passed. Heck, the 1860 Henry could hold SIXTEEN rounds, plus 1 and I am not aware of any legislative bans on them. Gatling guns were around and I am not aware of any general bans on them. Those hoppers held 40 rounds of 58 caliber and fired from a SINGLE ACTUATION OF THE TRIGGER while turning a crank.

Oh Fs guys, that there is practically a machinegun under the definition set forth in the NFA, holding a positive multiplicity of bullets in a thing that WENT UP. All a few years before the passage of the 14th amendment. And they weren't legislatively controlled.

Anyway, it is going to take a lawsuit unfortunately. But hopefully with some quick decisions from the 3rd and 9th under Americans belts, a lawsuit in the 4th against Maryland will be relatively quick.

PS Yes, I know the ATF doesn't regulate gatling guns under the NFA.

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    Apparently Delaware signed their awb / mb today!

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    When a case is GVR'd do the plaintiffs present new arguments or does the court simply revisit their decision based on evidence already provided and arguments made?

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    Bianchi v Frosh is against both the AWB and the magazine ban.

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    No. Prior precedent cannot be relied upon. The laws still need to be successfully challenged in order for them to be struck.
    Or the state concedes defeat and the law is struck so both sides stop accruing legal fees the state knows they will pay under 1988.

Magnumst

Ultimate Member
    Mar 26, 2013
    Or the state concedes defeat and the law is struck so both sides stop accruing legal fees the state knows they will pay under 1988.
    You are one of a very few that I read what you post, but this has to be one of the silliest things you have posted. The AG cares not about the states pocket book.

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    Bianchi v Frosh is against both the AWB and the magazine ban.
    No it is only against the AWB.

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    Cert petition footnote 1 says they're only challenging the AWB part. Oh well, we wait...

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    Cert petition footnote 1 says they're only challenging the AWB part. Oh well, we wait...
    They may decide to amend the complaint and include the mag ban as well based on the NJ and CA mag ban cases being GVRed. We will need to wait and see what happens in the case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom