• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • notagolfr

Jun 21, 2020
    Millersville
    Hello, wondering if anyone has any insight with face to face transfers for active duty military with orders to Maryland but residence out of state.

Typically face to face transfers aren't allowed from what I understand between two residents of different states but active duty military have a home of record (usually different state) and a residence in the state that they have orders to.

I can buy guns at a Maryland FFL with my out of state license no problem, but someone just offered me a non-regulated long gun and I'm not sure if we can legally transfer...

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    Maryland just outlawed face to face transfers of long guns (with some specific exceptions between family members, C&R holders, and a f few others), and handguns already required an FFL or State Police in the middle of the transaction. So, no to the face to face, military or not.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    So this passed last session.; Eh? does it go into affect in October like all other laws?

I'm assuming they're going to add staff to the MSP barracks to cover the surge. Aren't they?

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    So this passed last session.; Eh? does it go into affect in October like all other laws?

I'm assuming they're going to add staff to the MSP barracks to cover the surge. Aren't they?

No, this is already in effect NOW.

As of mid March, I believe.

It was an override of a veto from the 2020 session, so unlike new legislation it does not wait until October to take effect.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Veto Overrides go into effect 30 days after Override . 3/12/ 21 was last day for Face to Face .

The Good News is you can still do the transfer , just have to use FFL .

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

It was passed and vetoed in 2020, the veto was overridden in 2021 and went into ffect back in March.

Since none of the long gun transactions can be done at MSP barracks and are required to be done at an FFL (if you can find one that has the time to do it), the answer would be.....no.

putneyswope

Dismember
    Aug 7, 2010
    If both parties are military and the transaction occurs on the base I think you might still be ok since it’s not legally Maryland but government property. From what I remember service members owning “assault rifles” have been able to retain ownership within California and New York so long as the guns stay on base due to the same. Please check with someone better informed before you act though.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    If both parties are military and the transaction occurs on the base I think you might still be ok since it’s not legally Maryland but government property. From what I remember service members owning “assault rifles” have been able to retain ownership within California and New York so long as the guns stay on base due to the same. Please check with someone better informed before you act though.

Generally the laws of the state still govern. I am not aware of any exemption that you could keep banned firearms so long as they stayed on base. You don’t become a resident of the state where you have orders unless you choose to change residency. That might be what you are thinking of. Still can’t bring them in to the state.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Generally the laws of the state still govern. I am not aware of any exemption that you could keep banned firearms so long as they stayed on base. You don’t become a resident of the state where you have orders unless you choose to change residency. That might be what you are thinking of. Still can’t bring them in to the state.

Sort of.

You are a resident for the purposes of buying firearms.

But not a resident for taxes, titling/tagging cars, etc.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Sort of , Squared .

.Mil members can legitimately have multiple States of Residence for Firearms purposes .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom