• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Well, now I need another 14.5 inch SOCOM barrel assembly. I have the used one from Shark Arms, but now I need a new one. It's not my fault!

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-par...om-upper-receiver-14-5in-5-56-prod136059.aspx

This is what I snagged last year on Brownells. I’m not a clone guy but I bought it because a) I’m a big DD fan and B) I was looking for a good 14.5 option that was MD compliant.

I pinned/welded mine to 16. It’s not clone correct as it’s not a Colt upper nor colt barrel, but functionally similar and the correct RIS ii rail.

I’ve only seen them back in stock once since I bought mine, but then again I never signed up for in stock notifications.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Very nice! Did you do the pin and weld? And, how hard is it to attach the barrel to receiver?

No, I brought it to Duffy’s in Butler, Md.

Attaching the barrel to the receiver is simple stuff, it just slides into the upper and is then secured by the barrel nut. Some are a tighter fit, but nothing a heat gun or butane torch can’t quickly fix.

You need the right tools though and a solid platform with a vise. The proper way to do it is to apply a small amount of Aeroshell grease to the receiver threads and then “season” the threads with the barrel nut, meaning; torque the barrel nut progressively to your desired torque about 3-4 times and then to final torque, then continue with the installation of the handguard. The devil is in the details...

Redbean

Redbean
    Jan 14, 2017
    Beltsville, Maryland
    SPD, thanks for the info. My surplus Colt 14.5 inch barrel assembly is at Duffy's right now for the pin and weld job. Guy's name is John, I think. He's a busy dude too. They told me it would take 6 to 8 weeks, and it has been 6 weeks now. So, how does yours look? I can't wait to finish this project. You guys really helped a brother out and I thank you all!

Ski, glad you got a couple. These are hard to find. With my C&R FFL, I got mine for $140.09 out the door. Won't find a better price. Boom!

Redbean

Redbean
    Jan 14, 2017
    Beltsville, Maryland
    Thanks Bro. I might jump on this. But, Arms Unlimited is out of stock and $35 less. Do I wait or buy now? G&R Tactical are good people too. Plus, sometimes, older stock items are more better, right? Does anyone here have one from G&R Tactical?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Thanks Bro. I might jump on this. But, Arms Unlimited is out of stock and $35 less. Do I wait or buy now? G&R Tactical are good people too. Plus, sometimes, older stock items are more better, right? Does anyone here have one from G&R Tactical?

I have the stripped barrel version. No problems.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

I got the 11.5 HRT barrel from them and am very happy with it. Course I have yet to shoot it.

Redbean

Redbean
    Jan 14, 2017
    Beltsville, Maryland
    Yep, I remember you did post this before. Those are nice! I just got the 2 stripped uppers from Brownells and they are sweeeeet. I'd like to do one each, 14.5 inch & 11.5 inch HBAR.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom