• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    I recently had a Superlative Arms adjustable gas block installed on my AR10, and I couldn't get the gun to work right. The instructions tell you to load one round in a mag and fire. If the bolt stays back, then adjust down until it doesn't, then go back up one. Well the first shot I took, the bolt locked back, so I adjusted down. The next round failed to eject, so I adjusted back up, but every time after that, it failed to eject, or if it did eject, the bolt didn't lock back. I adjusted all the way out and all the way in to test...same result. Did something get tweaked after the first shot? It's beyond frustrating...this is BY FAR the most expensive gun I own, and it gives me the most problems.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    I would bottom it out in the closed-most position and then rotate it out 4.5 turns (fully open, unrestricted) and start from there.

At that point, moving it back inward will block off gas as a standard AGB would, but rotating it outward would begin adjusting the gas to the vented settings.

You should also feel tactile clicks between settings. Perhaps you are just stuck between settings?

I don't really mess with AGB's for this exact reason, but I do have one Superlative Arms AGB's on my wifes rifle in 5.56 (16 inch carbine length gas system HBAR). I could not get it to fail at any point a long the vented settings, so I have it running a few notches into the restrictive mode but that's it. Decided I wasn't going to run these anymore after my experience, just not worth it. But since I got it to run well, I am just going to leave it.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Have probably 6 or 7 SA blocks. 2 are on Aero M5 AR308s. Easy way to adjust is to close it, then open it 4 clicks/1 turn, load 1, and make sure it locks open. if it does, add a click and done. If it doesn't then open 2 clicks at a time till it locks, add a click, then stop. Think both my 308s run perfectly at 5 clicks suppressed and 8 unsuppressed, usually leave them at 8 clicks and run fine with or without a can. Unless you want to chase the perfect setting they usually run well within a range of a few clicks, where a heavier buffer / AR10/A5/Rifle tubes have a wider range than a light buffer especially in the crappy AR15 tube/short DPMS buffer setup.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    I recently had a Superlative Arms adjustable gas block installed on my AR10, and I couldn't get the gun to work right. The instructions tell you to load one round in a mag and fire. If the bolt stays back, then adjust down until it doesn't, then go back up one. Well the first shot I took, the bolt locked back, so I adjusted down. The next round failed to eject, so I adjusted back up, but every time after that, it failed to eject, or if it did eject, the bolt didn't lock back. I adjusted all the way out and all the way in to test...same result. Did something get tweaked after the first shot? It's beyond frustrating...this is BY FAR the most expensive gun I own, and it gives me the most problems.

Check the block alignment. How is it mounted, clamp on, set screw, pinned? If it's set screw or clamp on, check that everything is tight.

bfoosh006

Aug 19, 2017
    How many rounds has the rifle had fired through it ?

It might need a little more break in.

Make sure you have it well lubed.

Most all Large Frame AR's "need" a decent break in. They can be fussy.

What ammo are you using ?

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Check the block alignment. How is it mounted, clamp on, set screw, pinned? If it's set screw or clamp on, check that everything is tight.

This is what I was thinking. One shot does not always tell you your consistency. Plus if it moved after that or subsequent shots, it is under gassing from misalignment.

The other thing is, what was it doing before you installed the adjustable gas block? was it overgassed (which is the only time i"ve put one in).

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    How many rounds has the rifle had fired through it ?

It might need a little more break in.

Make sure you have it well lubed.

Most all Large Frame AR's "need" a decent break in. They can be fussy.

What ammo are you using ?

This^^^

Check the cheap shit before you go down the rabbit hole.

Didn't the gun work right before you changed gas blocks? Maybe it's not the block.

Why a Superlative GB? They're not known for the best reliability.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    Have probably 6 or 7 SA blocks. 2 are on Aero M5 AR308s. Easy way to adjust is to close it, then open it 4 clicks/1 turn, load 1, and make sure it locks open. if it does, add a click and done. If it doesn't then open 2 clicks at a time till it locks, add a click, then stop. Think both my 308s run perfectly at 5 clicks suppressed and 8 unsuppressed, usually leave them at 8 clicks and run fine with or without a can. Unless you want to chase the perfect setting they usually run well within a range of a few clicks, where a heavier buffer / AR10/A5/Rifle tubes have a wider range than a light buffer especially in the crappy AR15 tube/short DPMS buffer setup.

I too have several SA blocks and all have run great. The above info is what I have done as well.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Thanks for the replies. To answer the questions:

The gun ran great before. I've had the gun 10 years...it has lots of rounds through it.

I was shooting 147gr Winchester white box since I wanted the lightest loads to function in the gun too. I usually only shoot FGMM, and switched to that in168gr. No change in function.

I used SA because they were the only ones that had the size I needed in stock. Mine is an oddball size.

I put it on when I had a brake installed to help with recoil. I believe it was way over gassed...the damn thing was more violent than my .308 bolt gun of the same weight.

I haven't had a chance to check the alignment yet. That was my first thought as well, but haven't had time to check. I hope that's not the case, since it just came back from the gunsmith.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Well, I took it loose to check what I could...it appears to be lined up properly. I can't take it all the way off because of the muzzle brake, but I was able to feel where the ports were, and it appeared to line up. So I don't know what to do next.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Maybe just a defective gas block.

How hard would it be to pull the brake and remove the block? You should be able to peak through into the block to make sure it is adjusting properly.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Maybe just a defective gas block.

How hard would it be to pull the brake and remove the block? You should be able to peak through into the block to make sure it is adjusting properly.

Depends on how tight it is on there I guess. I don't know what they torqued it down to, but I may need a barrel vice.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Depends on how tight it is on there I guess. I don't know what they torqued it down to, but I may need a barrel vice.

Hopefully they didn't use Rocksett on the threads. It isn't a suppressor QD brake is it? If you try and it doesn't seem to want to budge, call and ask if they did. If yes, you'll nead to soak it in water for a few hours to dissolve the glue.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

The easy answer is take it back to whomever did the installation.
    If that is a problem, then you'll need to remove the brake to find out if the block is functional. The brake shouldn't have more than 20 f/lbs of torque on it. Stand the gun in a corner, muzzle down, in enough warm water to submerge the entire brake and give it a couple hours soak. It should come off without a lot of effort. That's assuming it wasn't pinned and welded(why would it be?) on.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    What I do to check my gas block is, insert a casing into the chamber to block the airflow through the chamber. Wrap your lips around the barrel and blow to see if air comes out of the gas tube. Seems unsafe, but I live life on the edge! And it works. Also use mouth wash afterwards if you feel inclined.

This reminds me of the Schuster gas plug for my M1A. You open it until the rifle won't cycle then back it off a quarter turn. It helps when you're running 175 SMKs so you don't over gas the rifle and it extends the life of the op rod.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    The easy answer is take it back to whomever did the installation.
    If that is a problem, then you'll need to remove the brake to find out if the block is functional. The brake shouldn't have more than 20 f/lbs of torque on it. Stand the gun in a corner, muzzle down, in enough warm water to submerge the entire brake and give it a couple hours soak. It should come off without a lot of effort. That's assuming it wasn't pinned and welded(why would it be?) on.

Definitely not welded. It's a steel brake and a stainless barrel. I didn't see a pin at first glace, but I can't imagine they'd have done that. No need to make it permanent legally either, since it's a 20" barrel.

What I do to check my gas block is, insert a casing into the chamber to block the airflow through the chamber. Wrap your lips around the barrel and blow to see if air comes out of the gas tube. Seems unsafe, but I live life on the edge! And it works. Also use mouth wash afterwards if you feel inclined.

I taped a straw to one of those compressed air canisters and blew air in to the gas tube. Air came out the barrel both ends. I figured that was a little better than your method...I can only imagine the look on my wife's face if she came down and saw me with the end of a barrel in my mouth :lol2:

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    I taped a straw to one of those compressed air canisters and blew air in to the gas tube. Air came out the barrel both ends. I figured that was a little better than your method...I can only imagine the look on my wife's face if she came down and saw me with the end of a barrel in my mouth :lol2:

I wouldn't completely rely on that method. I did that when I put on an adjustable block and thought everything was fine. It had function issues and when I sent it up to Chad, he sent me a pic from his borescope where I was misaligned.

Teslong makes a good inexpensive borescope and it's helped me fix a couple friends rifles and helped me figure out that I made a mistake dimpling a barrel.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    I wouldn't completely rely on that method. I did that when I put on an adjustable block and thought everything was fine. It had function issues and when I sent it up to Chad, he sent me a pic from his borescope where I was misaligned.

Teslong makes a good inexpensive borescope and it's helped me fix a couple friends rifles and helped me figure out that I made a mistake dimpling a barrel.

Yeah I'm going to look in to ordering one of those right now...no reason to not have one.

EDIT: Looks like they are pretty pricey!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom