My US WWII rifle collection - all CMP rifles.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    The top one is a CMP Service Grade Remington "Springfield"1903A3. The receiver was manufactured in April 1943 and it has a 1943 barrel on it with a .5 Muzzle and 1 Throat reading. It has an older stock with a a faint ordnance wheel and FJA (Frank J. Atwood) cartouche and a "P" stamp on underside of stock.

The next one down is a CMP Service Grade Springfield Armory. The receiver SA receiver is a November 1943 with a SA 1943 barrel with a 1 Muzzle and 2 Throat readings and it came with a Springfield bolt but was changed out for a Harrington-Richardson bolt by a retired Fulton Armory gunsmith which he said fit better. The stock is not new, and is fairly dinged up with no cartouches. The trigger guard is an earlier milled one. This one has been given a competition trigger job.

The next one down is a CMP Service Grade Springfield Armory. The SA receiver is a May 1944 with a SA 1955 barrel, new stock, SA Bolt and a 1 Muzzle and 2 Throat readings. The trigger guard is an early WWII milled one.

The bottom one came in today. It is a CMP Rack Special Springfield Armory. The SA receiver is a February 1943 with a brand new Criterion barrel (2/21) 0 Muzzle and 0 Throat readings, new stock, an International Harvester Corporation bolt and a late WWII stamped trigger guard. It's essentially a new 1943 Garand.

I have Turner Saddlery M1907 leather slings ordered for all four but I guess they are backed up on their orders.

The safe is full...as much as I want a 1942 Garand, I simply don't have room for it.

Although I have AR's, Glocks, and all the modern stuff, these old girls are what I love - they have character an AR/AK will never have - the stories they could tell.

Attachments

• 18 May All CMP Rifiles BR.jpg
      18 May All CMP Rifiles BR.jpg
      66.2 KB · Views: 510
    • 18 May All CMP Rifles BL - Better.jpg
      18 May All CMP Rifles BL - Better.jpg
      64.7 KB · Views: 515

llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member
    I would love one but they have just been bid-up beyond the reach of mortal man. The best I could find for Po' Boy money is a Yugo Mauser. I wish I could just take vacation trips to CMP in OH for a crate-full like some I know but all my $$$ practically goes to my wife and daughters. I'd have to get a second job to buy one Garand now, much less a platoons-worth. Beautiful rifles, though, no doubt.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Thanks for the kind words guys - I appreciate it.

Very beautiful! While I do believe that black rifles matter, I have a preference for furniture. Do you think that you will eventually add an M1 carbine?

For whatever bizarre reason, M1 Carbines don't appeal to me much. If I came across a CMP one at a reasonable price I might consider it but I am not actively looking for one.

I'd really like an early 1942 SA Garand next.

Very nice, is the bottom a letterkenny rebuild? Got that classic Army gray.

Thanks for sharing!

It's a CMP Rack Special - CMP refurbed the receiver, put on a new Criterion barrel and a new walnut stock on it. The only one that has been tweaked is the November 1943 M1. Charlie Maloney went through it. He didn't like the way the SA bolt fit so he swapped it with one he had, an HRA and he did a National Match trigger job on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom