• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    That was a good read...

Prices and availability aren’t great but from what I’ve seen they are heading in the right direction. Much better than just 4-5 months ago for buying online.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This summer would be a good time to keep an eye out for deals, supply isn’t better but less demand should drive prices down.

Mike_mds

Oct 11, 2020
    Ceciltucky
    I’m a glass half full kinda guy, so I’m hoping for the 18 months to return to normal (or close to it) rather than the 2 1/2 years on the high end of the estimate in the article.

MRH

Never sell your sword
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 5, 2020
    Chesapeake Bay
    With raw materials costs going up (especially copper), inflation kicking in, and the ammo manufacturers already informing they will be raising prices, the only thing that can bring costs back to near normal will be product backing up on the shelves I think.

Ikaros240

Aug 11, 2020
    With raw materials costs going up (especially copper), inflation kicking in, and the ammo manufacturers already informing they will be raising prices, the only thing that can bring costs back to near normal will be product backing up on the shelves I think.

Another issue is people buying at these prices, its simple supply and demand. If there is always demand at these "high" prices, then they have no reason to lower it back to pre corona prices. But if people are holding and waiting, they will eventually be forced to lower them

Mike_mds

Oct 11, 2020
    Ceciltucky
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2...n-image-link&utm_campaign=imi-m193-ships-free

I bought a couple 1200 round cases of this last year at around $600 each. This same ammo was over $1000 per case just a couple months ago, now it’s back down to $800. Plus it’s been in stock pretty constantly recently.

This is just one example, but things seem to be moving in the right direction. CCI has also had a lot of availability of .22lr that I buy at very good prices (all things considered) over the last couple months.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I saw steel-cased 9mm for 50 cent/round today, and a lot of it. Cheapest I've seen it in months. Also some .308 for under $1 a round.

I know I may sound like a koooook or nutcase when y'all read my next statement, but " Even if I were to actually own a .223 shooter, or a .308 shooter" I would be hard pressed to buy ammo @ .45-1.00 + per round. If I cannot buy it in bulk to get under those figures, then I ain't buyin.
    Heck, once a box of 5 Sabot slugs got to be in excess of $1-$3 per round, I no longer shot nor purchased deer killing ammo for my shotgun or even any .270 or 30-06 ammo for the shooters I do have.

At my low level of income, I can only afford to buy things for pennies on the dollar like my $200 car and $1 Pickup truck. Facing the proposition of spending hundreds on ammo just to have the minimum on hand for any enjoyable outings at the range, really detracts from even enjoying any of my shooters.

People talk about those who snap and go "postal" or those who have a depression due to isolating because of Covid, or someone like Mike Flanigan who killed himself despite a decent job with the club after a Pro baseball career. My guess was he melted down from an outlook of a lesser financial picture than he wanted and pressures of his job, But I also would guess his life was far from one like tens of thousands of hard working folks who have to make a choice of buying ammo at inflated prices, or milk at $3 a gallon or even doing without because the income level just is not there to keep up with inflation and rising prices of things all stemming from Democrat laws, bad economic policies, taxes and spending. All the factors that not only cause exorbitant prices of ammo, but things like low capacity magazine laws, ban AR style rifle, HQL BS laws which are all designed to make gun owners throw in the towel and essentially give up due to government induced factors that price the average Joe out of the market for their right to own and use their firearms.

I have hated our government and our segment of the population that has caused a simple joy in life to cease to exist like it did when we were young men and women. Much like 1A is being trashed with this Cancel Culture BS, so has 2A and the owning and actually shooting the guns we love. Life has become cheap to these people and despite our country being based on principles that protect us from enemies foreign and domestic, it is the DOMESTIC ones that have been the most destructive and ruined many lives for far too long. It sucks that it has really soured my right to pursuit of happiness as I was promised from the day I was born till now, according to the Constitution.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I know I may sound like a koooook or nutcase when y'all read my next statement, but " Even if I were to actually own a .223 shooter, or a .308 shooter" I would be hard pressed to buy ammo @ .45-1.00 + per round. If I cannot buy it in bulk to get under those figures, then I ain't buyin.
    Heck, once a box of 5 Sabot slugs got to be in excess of $1-$3 per round, I no longer shot nor purchased deer killing ammo for my shotgun or even any .270 or 30-06 ammo for the shooters I do have.

At my low level of income, I can only afford to buy things for pennies on the dollar like my $200 car and $1 Pickup truck. Facing the proposition of spending hundreds on ammo just to have the minimum on hand for any enjoyable outings at the range, really detracts from even enjoying any of my shooters.

People talk about those who snap and go "postal" or those who have a depression due to isolating because of Covid, or someone like Mike Flanigan who killed himself despite a decent job with the club after a Pro baseball career. My guess was he melted down from an outlook of a lesser financial picture than he wanted and pressures of his job, But I also would guess his life was far from one like tens of thousands of hard working folks who have to make a choice of buying ammo at inflated prices, or milk at $3 a gallon or even doing without because the income level just is not there to keep up with inflation and rising prices of things all stemming from Democrat laws, bad economic policies, taxes and spending. All the factors that not only cause exorbitant prices of ammo, but things like low capacity magazine laws, ban AR style rifle, HQL BS laws which are all designed to make gun owners throw in the towel and essentially give up due to government induced factors that price the average Joe out of the market for their right to own and use their firearms.

I have hated our government and our segment of the population that has caused a simple joy in life to cease to exist like it did when we were young men and women. Much like 1A is being trashed with this Cancel Culture BS, so has 2A and the owning and actually shooting the guns we love. Life has become cheap to these people and despite our country being based on principles that protect us from enemies foreign and domestic, it is the DOMESTIC ones that have been the most destructive and ruined many lives for far too long. It sucks that it has really soured my right to pursuit of happiness as I was promised from the day I was born till now, according to the Constitution.

Not sure if your age, but per a thread awhile back on the prices of 22 “when we were kids” with some of the older farts who could remember from the 50s and what not, even today’s ammo prices are actually not that ridiculous.

$2.99 a gallon gas adjusted for inflation is still around the historic average or below from the last 50 years. Ammo of two years ago is dramatically lower than the 50 year average. Even today’s prices are actually not terribly far off the average of a few decades ago. A lot of the changes on real earnings being depressed started during Regan and has mostly continued apace. Regan drove a lot of the legislative agenda and republicans controlled the senate for most of his years. Republicans in the house mostly controlled the agenda for Clinton’s later years and turned surpluses to deficits. And of course republicans have controlled congress for most of GW Bush (you know, plus Bush as the president), Obama and half of Trump.

They have the majority of political power sufficient to pass bills at will or at least stand in the way of democratic legislative agenda for all but 2.5 years of the last 22 years at a federal level. And republicans have controlled both houses and the presidency for significantly longer in the last couple of decades than the democrats have.

I can grant you Democrats ruining Maryland. Nationally? If they have, Republicans are at least guilty of not fixing it when they’ve been in charge. Or it isn’t the Democrats fault (or is it both parties). If it is things like taxes and spending...until the recent COVID stimulus stuff, Republicans have slashed taxes like crazy and massively hiked spending compared to democrats over the last 20 odd years. The only time they’ve been fiscally responsible has been when it’s been a Democrat as president.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Not sure if your age, but per a thread awhile back on the prices of 22 “when we were kids” with some of the older farts who could remember from the 50s and what not, even today’s ammo prices are actually not that ridiculous.

$2.99 a gallon gas adjusted for inflation is still around the historic average or below from the last 50 years. Ammo of two years ago is dramatically lower than the 50 year average. Even today’s prices are actually not terribly far off the average of a few decades ago. A lot of the changes on real earnings being depressed started during Regan and has mostly continued apace. Regan drove a lot of the legislative agenda and republicans controlled the senate for most of his years. Republicans in the house mostly controlled the agenda for Clinton’s later years and turned surpluses to deficits. And of course republicans have controlled congress for most of GW Bush (you know, plus Bush as the president), Obama and half of Trump.

They have the majority of political power sufficient to pass bills at will or at least stand in the way of democratic legislative agenda for all but 2.5 years of the last 22 years at a federal level. And republicans have controlled both houses and the presidency for significantly longer in the last couple of decades than the democrats have.

I can grant you Democrats ruining Maryland. Nationally? If they have, Republicans are at least guilty of not fixing it when they’ve been in charge. Or it isn’t the Democrats fault (or is it both parties). If it is things like taxes and spending...until the recent COVID stimulus stuff, Republicans have slashed taxes like crazy and massively hiked spending compared to democrats over the last 20 odd years. The only time they’ve been fiscally responsible has been when it’s been a Democrat as president.

Yeap. Back in 76, CCI Mini Mags were 2 cpr. That would be 9.2 cpr based on inflation alone.

Jmjfi

Feb 1, 2020
    Not seeing anymore supply on my end either...... Just the normal slow down of Firearms and ammo sales during the summer months.....

Kilroys783

Oct 21, 2015
    Calvert County
    Went to Bass Pro Shop at Arundel Mills last week and got a box of 500 9mm white box Remington for $174. Prices are coming down. They had a ton of 5.56 too. They keep it on a cart behind the counter. Usually someone is standing with it. They do have limitations so don’t expect to stock up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom