• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Overwatch326

Aug 13, 2016
    Hey folks,

So, I'm looking for a range that'll actually allow me to practice with different home defense loads, rather than just slugs. I know AGC has trap and skeet, and the shotgun patterning range (though that's appeared to be out of order the last few times I've been there), but I'm really just looking to practice like I would at the 100 yard range. I think the only one I've found so far that allows shot as opposed to slugs is Continental, but the rules seem fairly strict and limited just to buckshot. Ideally, I'd like to try some target loads, too, just to get a feel for it. Also, I have a box of Winchester PDX1s that I've had for years, and I'd like to see if they're worth a damn--but I'm guessing most places won't allow those. Any suggestions?

On another note, when I was looking through the range rules for the AGC, I noticed the Barnes Range doesn't expressly forbid anything beyond slugs, but it doesn't say you can use anything else, either. Are shot loads allowed there, or am I just splitting hairs?

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Hey folks,

So, I'm looking for a range that'll actually allow me to practice with different home defense loads, rather than just slugs. I know AGC has trap and skeet, and the shotgun patterning range (though that's appeared to be out of order the last few times I've been there), but I'm really just looking to practice like I would at the 100 yard range. I think the only one I've found so far that allows shot as opposed to slugs is Continental, but the rules seem fairly strict and limited just to buckshot. Ideally, I'd like to try some target loads, too, just to get a feel for it. Also, I have a box of Winchester PDX1s that I've had for years, and I'd like to see if they're worth a damn--but I'm guessing most places won't allow those. Any suggestions?

On another note, when I was looking through the range rules for the AGC, I noticed the Barnes Range doesn't expressly forbid anything beyond slugs, but it doesn't say you can use anything else, either. Are shot loads allowed there, or am I just splitting hairs?

I’ve also noticed that the AGC rules do not forbid buckshot or target loads.
    I think where the “restriction” may come from is that all rounds (projectiles) must impact the berm which won’t happen with anything other than slugs. I’d ask the RSO on duty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bean93x

JamBandGalore
    Mar 27, 2008
    WV
    Tango Down in Hedgesville WV. We allow all shot directed towards our shotgun target and slugs at 100yd on paper.

Overwatch326

Aug 13, 2016
    I’ve also noticed that the AGC rules do not forbid buckshot or target loads.
    I think where the “restriction” may come from is that all rounds (projectiles) must impact the berm which won’t happen with anything other than slugs. I’d ask the RSO on duty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shot is fine on AGC Barnes 100 Yard range. I was testing a shotgun Tuesday.

Correct okay on the Barns range.

Well, that makes that much easier, then. Yeah, the rule on impacting the berm had me really unsure; if you take it literally, the only compatible I could think of was Federal Flight Control. :P

Tango Down in Hedgesville WV. We allow all shot directed towards our shotgun target and slugs at 100yd on paper.

Ooh. Sounds like I now have an excuse to visit WV and scour for ammo there, too. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom