Colt Lightning .22 rifle, who has mainsprings?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Picked up a small-frame Colt Lightning at the MD Arms Collector Show that needed some work, and just when I thought I had it all buttoned up....

Range trip revealed I was getting light hammer strikes and iffy ignition. Since everything else is clean, it looks like I need a new mainspring.

The problem is "the ususal suspects" are sold out, and it looks like eBay and Gunbroker don't really have anything.

So I was hoping the collective wisdom of this board could help me out.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0695.jpg
      IMG_0695.jpg
      31.9 KB · Views: 368
    • IMG_0696.jpg
      IMG_0696.jpg
      39.9 KB · Views: 356
    I did see a couple of sites selling reproductions, but they were sold out.

I've used Wisnersinc.com for other stuff, they don't have Colt Lightning parts.

I am curious, one site stated the mainspring was the same regardless of frame size. If this can be verified, that might help me out a bit

Not quite. That is for a Colt revolver also called "Lightning" this is the 1887 rifle.

I must be the only one in the universe with a bad experience from Jack First Gun Parts. I ordered screws for a Stevens Favorite and none of them fit; in all fairness they did offer to try and match my old ones (which they couldn't) then refunded my purchase. So I can't complain too much.

Have an email into Clark Brothers

Last edited:
    Someone else asked me on another board I thought I would post this here:

The rightmost is a spent casing, the rest did not ignite, note the one of the left went through twice.

They were questioning the firing pin protrusion, given the wear it might have been possible the bronze firing pin got flattened a bit. The indentation tells me that it it hit, and the one that went off was rather deep, so I'm still sticking with this bring a mainspring issue.

I guess during the pandemic a lot of Lightning owners decided to restore theirs, no wonder I can't find any parts.

Attachments

• 20210531_193845.jpg
      20210531_193845.jpg
      17.3 KB · Views: 154
    Last edited:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    A good gunsmith should be able to either re-temper the one you have, or make a new one.

Somebody made it in the first place. :)

What I found in my wanderings around the Internet are that reproduction parts were made (if not a whole Lightning clone) but those parts, like everyone else, is sold out.

I am tempted to find another hammer, and then see if there is some way to adapt it to use the coil spring and strut from a Stevens Favorite.

Have another update/lead on the problem: Headspace.

On the recommendation of someone who is an absolute guru with pump-action .22s, I loaded up a shell casing, held the forearm firmly forward, and fired. It left a nice deep dent.

I also put a spent casing to the micrometer: The unfired one was consistently .224-225" all the way to the mouth; the fired one started at .225 and went to .233 at the mouth.

So now its possible the suspect is a very worn barrel.

The other recommendation was to put a washer or shim under the mainspring to give it a bit more lift.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    It would be very likely that the mainspring conversion would be more work than just finding some one to re temper the spring. Or even doing it your self for that matter. Even then if a repair isn't done correctly the modifications needed more than likely create a condition that's harder to remedy if not carefully thought out and executed properly in the first place.
    Firing pin can be sectioned, then lengthened to spec, Or even annealed peened to lengthen a very short amount, and then carefully ground to strike the rim in the appropriate manner.
    Based on your pictures, and it's hard to tell, but it looks like the pin where it strikes the rim could be improved.
    Fixing that first would more than likely alleviate the low order of ignition your experiencing.
    Once you are sure firing pin strike is correct, worry about the spring afterwards as long as it's not broken.

So your take is that the firing pin is a bit off? Makes sense since the bolt is a reproduction, so either the original firing pin doesn't like its new home, or its new/reproduction as well and a hair out-of-spec.

Its a shame reproduction firing pins are made of unobtanium.

Attachments

• IMG_1135.jpg
      IMG_1135.jpg
      50.4 KB · Views: 69

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom