• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • python

Apr 15, 2010
    The revolver has a pinned barrel, so it's no later than a 29-2, which would have a squared off sight leaf.

Diesel-Dad

Jun 25, 2016
    HARFORD COUNTY
    Ok so here is what I’m working with. I got all three screws out they are not all matched the rear hole appears to have a broken screw in it. So this will need a square base sight? It is a 29-2.

bb0835b234b3a80a855c4679a620dfda.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Biden voice, “C’mon man” it’s a S&W m29, not a Colt SAA. :D
    I'm the kind of a guy who if I felt I needed a scope on a handgun, I'd get a TC contender or if it had to be a revolver, a Ruger Redhawk or Super Redhawk. Never on a S&W.

Diesel-Dad

Jun 25, 2016
    HARFORD COUNTY
    Those holes in the top strap make me about want to cry.

Yea they look awful and the screw weren’t very tight. Now there are rub spots on the revolver. can’t say I’m as excited about this gun now as when I won the auction two weeks ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rob

DINO Extraordinaire
    Oct 11, 2010
    Augusta, GA
    Replace the sight, Get the holes filled and touch up the blueing. She can still be really nice with a little effort.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Replace the sight, Get the holes filled and touch up the blueing. She can still be really nice with a little effort.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    This. With the right gunsmith, those holes could be filled the point where they're nearly undetectable. The question then becomes one of how much money to put into that revolver before the juice is no longer worth the squeeze.

At some point I'll buy another 44 magnum as a means to try to preserve the Pre-29 that had been my Dad's. As it is, I'm getting ready to send this one to have it re-blued. Yes - I realize that this will "hurt the collector's value." I personally don't care about the collector's value due to the fact that I will never sell it, and I pray that my kids will never sell it either. I'd rather have it beautifully restored than to have it looking as beat up as it is.

But I also want a shooter, and that's what that gun is - because of the "scars" - the holes in the top strap and rub marks - it's not going to fetch a premium, so to my way of thinking it can be a workhorse shooter.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    This. With the right gunsmith, those holes could be filled the point where they're nearly undetectable. The question then becomes one of how much money to put into that revolver before the juice is no longer worth the squeeze.

At some point I'll buy another 44 magnum as a means to try to preserve the Pre-29 that had been my Dad's. As it is, I'm getting ready to send this one to have it re-blued. Yes - I realize that this will "hurt the collector's value." I personally don't care about the collector's value due to the fact that I will never sell it, and I pray that my kids will never sell it either. I'd rather have it beautifully restored than to have it looking as beat up as it is.

But I also want a shooter, and that's what that gun is - because of the "scars" - the holes in the top strap and rub marks - it's not going to fetch a premium, so to my way of thinking it can be a workhorse shooter.

Put the rail back on and run a red dot. Seems like the easiest cheapest route.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Yeah...but it will depend on the smith who does the work on how it turns out. I think it would look cool with a venom or similar micro red dot. Different strokes
    Even if the holes were left open and cleaned up, it would, IMO, still be preferable to hanging a holographic sight on it.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Even if the holes were left open and cleaned up, it would, IMO, still be preferable to hanging a holographic sight on it.

What would you fill the holes with, and then how would you get the grooves to look right. It would need to be blued and chiseled.

Maybe send it to S&W for a restoration? It's an awesome gun so it may be worth it if you have the time and funds. Also get the springs, timing, gap etc. checked?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom