• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I just got an email the other day about new lower cost Vortex long range scope.

The Venom 5-25x with EBR-7C reticle. VERY good basic specs. 56 mm objective, 34 mm tube. 25 mrad (85 MOA) elevation range.

And a list price of $699.99.

https://vortexoptics.com/venom-5-25x56-ffp-riflescope.html

I sent a question to them about comparing this new scope to the Viper PST Gen 1 and Gen 2. It is just about half the price of the Viper PST Gen 2 FFP ($1299.99), when you figure that it comes with the throw lever ($79.99 list from Vortex).

There is also the Strike Eagle 5-25x at $799.99. 34mm tube, 56 mm objective. 32 mrad elevation (110 MOA). There is a comparison between the Strike Eagle and Viper Gen 2 on You Tube. In the comments, Vortex states that the Viper glass/optical quality is better on the Viper over the Strike Eagle.

Hmmm, wondering if there is a coming Viper PST Gen 3 with 34 mm tube and 56 mm objective.

EDIT---

Just found a comparison between the Diamondback Tactical, Venom, and Strike Eagle. It seems that in optical quality, they are in the same order. So the Strike Eagle is better than the Venom, which is better than the Diamondback Tactical. And from the other video, the Viper PST Gen 2 is better optical quality than the Strike Eagle.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Seems like it might be a popular scope. Have a Diamondback FFP and it's awesome for the money, but if this is a huge step up in optics for a little more loot, without getting into the $1K+ price range, it could be awesome. Kinda like the PST2 1-6, probably my favorite LPVO, and a great mix of cost/features. It's worth the $200 over budgets scopes like the SE 1-6, and has almost everything the Razor 1-6 has, but at 1/2 the cost.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    EuroOptics seems to have decent prices. I recently bought a PST gen2 5-25 from them and it was less that a grand. Optics and reticle are great. They also do mil/LEO/vet discounts. I didn't use the discount but will for my next purchase. Delivery was really fast!

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Sport Optics have a Memorial Day sale. 15% off their prices on optics.

Viper PST Gen 2 5-25 FFP at $850.

Strike Eagle 5-25 would be $595

Venom 5-25 (MOA out of stock) $425

Diamond Tactical 6-24 $339

And for the higher rollers, Razor 4.5-27 is $1699.

Possible larger discounts if you are mil/LE/veteran

I am looking at upgrading the Viper PST Gen 1 on my .308 long range rifle. Trying to convince myself to buy once, cry once, and get the Razor. :D

If I was not upgrading, I would probably get a Venom for my .22 trainer. But it will get the Viper PST Gen 1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom