• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • arbud

Jan 27, 2008
    Towson
    Can you buy a non heavy barrel ar10 or ak15 right off the shelf or have one delivered to your ffl or must they have a heavy barrel like the ar15hbar

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Can you buy a non heavy barrel ar10 or ak15 right off the shelf or have one delivered to your ffl or must they have a heavy barrel like the ar15hbar

Cash and carry. HBAR only applies to AR-15s and depending on who you ask, just 5.56/.223 AR-15s at that (that would be my interpretation as well and also what MSP seems to say based on their long list of approvals for non-HBAR AR-15s in calibers other than 5.56/.223).

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    The hbar requirement only applies to AR15s chambered in 5.56/223.

The AK15 and AR10 are chambered in .30cal

So yes, you can buy one

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Haven't you asked nearly the same HBAR question several times? I get MD laws are screwy but this is one area that's pretty easy to understand.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Just trying to make absolute sure Bullfrog. Sorry if I bothered you. Bud

You didn't bother me, I usually just answer questions and move on, but this looks strange to me:

Same question as today, asked 10 days ago:
    https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=257146
    I guess what I am asking is if I go into a store and want to buy a an ar rifle that shoots 308 or 762x39 do I just fill the normal form out, wait for them to ok me and walk out of the store.

Can a non HBAR from VA be sold in MD:
    https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=216092

Can I buy a non HBAR out of state and bring it back:
    https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=222762

Can I buy parts that look like an M4, assemble it here and pretend its an HBAR:
    https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=238707
    Buy Any complete upper no matter how m4ish it is and have it sent to my house. 16"or more of course
    Then buy a complete lower of my choice have it sent to my ffl. Go and pay transfer fee. NO hql needed.
    Put the 2 halves together and go about my business as if I bought a complete hbar rifle.

Does this not look unusual, especially since you've been here 13 years?

arbud

Jan 27, 2008
    Towson
    Well 2 things Bull frog I usually take the high high road. So like I said I am just making doubly or triply sure.
    You could ignore my posts if you chose.
    Or since it does seem to bother you, maybe spend more time on someone elses post who wont be waisting your time or energy.
    Thank you for the positivity you did bring to my Overly cautious post. As you no this State can change the rules of the game or at least move the goal posts anytime they want.
    Thank you, Bud

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Well 2 things Bull frog I usually take the high high road. So like I said I am just making doubly or triply sure.
    You could ignore my posts if you chose.
    Or since it does seem to bother you, maybe spend more time on someone elses post who wont be waisting your time or energy.
    Thank you for the positivity you did bring to my Overly cautious post. As you no this State can change the rules of the game or at least move the goal posts anytime they want.
    Thank you, Bud

Chill out dude. Nothing wrong with someone calling out dupe questions from the same OP. They were not being rude to you.

The answer is indeed straightforward. HBAR rules apply to AR15 pattern rifles in 5.56 or .223 only. Many AR10's will have heavy barrel profiles anyway, but this doesn't matter.

And by all means, continue on that high road of yours.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I get the angst, arbud. I shot in the National Masters Tournament one year at the PASA Park in Barry, Illinois. Needless to say I flew out with my wife, son, and with the pistols. I called the airline and TSA several times to make sure I did things correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom