Today's dumb idea: salt-impregnated birdshot?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • May 10, 2021
    I've been thinking of having a marginally less dangerous "warning shot" in my shotgun before the mag switches over to heavier hitters.

I've seen some cool solutions from American Specialty Ammo, but the shipping costs are stirring that "creative spirit."
    I was thinking of taking some old bird shot loads I have lying around and adding hyper-saturated saltwater paste in with the pellets.

Or, if that adds too much mass for the powder, flat out replacing some of those pellets with rock salt.

Mad science, or just madness?

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    Pirate at heart. Pleased owner of some busted-up secondhand black powder gear, and lover of all wood-stocked surplus.

Looking for a lead on any beater shooter-grade sks or mosins to dip my toes in more modern waters.
    A pirate firing a warning shot?

I won't be crass and say you should just kill yourself now, but will instead say you should eschew this folly for a threat ending round.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    If your life is not in danger, you would not shoot in the first place. Correct? If your life is in danger, why would you want to shoot a warning shot? I say madness. Pick your load and stick with the same for all shots. No mix.

Markpixs

Apr 23, 2011
    NOVA
    maybe something like this - https://www.wildlifecontrolsupplies.com/animal/CWRB-12.html
    This Rubber Buckshot 21-Ball Slug is the ‘traditional’ averse conditioning round, improved to carry a larger payload. There are 21 .32 caliber PVC balls moving at 750 fps. This load is designed for close to intermediate encounters with large game such as Bear, Moose, Elk or Deer. The 21 pellets spread into a large pattern to impart a painful stimuli over a large area with little risk of injury.

Rubber Buckshot 21-Ball is a high velocity, low recoil load intended for close range use. The rubber projectiles can cause serious injury or death, but greatly reduce the potential to over penetrate or injure others in the home. Use only in firearms chambered for this gauge/caliber and that are in good working condition.

Brikhaus

Jun 7, 2013
    Western Marylandistan
    If your life is not in danger, you would not shoot in the first place. Correct? If your life is in danger, why would you want to shoot a warning shot? I say madness. Pick your load and stick with the same for all shots. No mix.

I tend to go with the above. But to each his own, I guess.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Joe Hiden

Joe Hiden says SG warning shots work, though

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    I've heard of alternating buckshot with slugs, or using a couple buckshot, then slugs for the rest. I might investigate that route. Warning shots and rock salt are a waste of time that might get you killed.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Having an empty chamber and racking the action is a better warning. Either shoot to kill or don't shoot period. That warning shot is going to get you imprisoned, or sued, or both.

May 10, 2021
    Some good thoughts so far.
    As much as I want dragon's breath, I fear the end result to my walls would be less worth the hassle.

The point about intensity in defense stands. As much as I love the idea of inflicting dozens of salt-stinging belly-button piercings to encourage someone to cut and run, maybe I'll try the experiment with buck. Should still be some room between the balls for some seasoning.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Not meant as a slam . But perhaps you you should take careful introspection of your moral, ethical , and religious beliefs regarding self defense and use of force . These are things that must be KNOWN well in advance .This is NOT something that can be thought over and worked out in real time of literally split second events .

Such potential situiations are Binary in nature Either deadly force is justified , appropriate , and essentially necessary , or Not .

If Not, usage of cute , half @$$ measures are 100% unjustified , and highly illegal .

If it is justified and necessary , and you use cute half @$$ measures instead , it is quite likely to have tragic , if not fatal consequences for you and your loved ones .

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh

Not meant as a slam . But perhaps you you should take careful introspection of your moral, ethical , and religious beliefs regarding self defense and use of force . These are things that must be KNOWN well in advance .This is NOT something that can be thought over and worked out in real time of literally split second events .

Such potential situiations are Binary in nature Either deadly force is justified , appropriate , and essentially necessary , or Not .

If Not, usage of cute , half @$$ measures are 100% unjustified , and highly illegal .

If it is justified and necessary , and you use cute half @$$ measures instead , it is quite likely to have tragic , if not fatal consequences for you and your loved ones .

All of this. If you find yourself in a self defense situation, you're trying to stop the fight as quickly as possible. You can't trust that the presumptive aggressor in this situation will voluntarily stop, either.

Birdshot is for birds. Buckshot is for bad guys. Salt is for food.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    All of this. If you find yourself in a self defense situation, you're trying to stop the fight as quickly as possible. You can't trust that the presumptive aggressor in this situation will voluntarily stop, either.

This should be printed in the rules before allow account access.

KevinK

Ultimate Member
    Jun 24, 2008
    Carroll County, Md

For those with hypertension :D

mrs-dash-salt-free-table-blend-seasonig-2.5-oz-healthy-heart-market_2000x.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom