• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    I wasn't going to jump into this but I think I will. I've had glock factory mags have spring failure. They were in the race guns when I completed in IDPA like 3 to 4 times a month. Had numbered the mags so I would know when there was a feed problem. I was probably carrying about 30 mags in my range bag at the time. During this time I was firing 8 to 10k a year with 9MM.

When I was teaching at one establishment which had people coming in and taking AR training every week, we saw magizine failures in our own guns that were used repeated. This was probably more rounds down range in a couple years than most would see in a lifetime. I believe I might be approaching almost a half million rounds in the 50 years that I have been using an AR.

Both these cases were extreme situations with lots of rounds fired. they do wear out but it takes a lot to do it. I just consider maginzines a disposible item. You don't even want to know how AR mags I own. All 10 rounders of course. LOL

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I wasn't going to jump into this but I think I will. I've had glock factory mags have spring failure. They were in the race guns when I completed in IDPA like 3 to 4 times a month. Had numbered the mags so I would know when there was a feed problem. I was probably carrying about 30 mags in my range bag at the time. During this time I was firing 8 to 10k a year with 9MM.

When I was teaching at one establishment which had people coming in and taking AR training every week, we saw magizine failures in our own guns that were used repeated. This was probably more rounds down range in a couple years than most would see in a lifetime. I believe I might be approaching almost a half million rounds in the 50 years that I have been using an AR.

Both these cases were extreme situations with lots of rounds fired. they do wear out but it takes a lot to do it. I just consider maginzines a disposible item. You don't even want to know how AR mags I own. All 10 rounders of course. LOL

Yes, USING mags wears out springs.

Springs go bad from CYCLING them. Compressing, releasing, compressing, released, etc. Do it enough times and the spring fatigues.

Leaving them LOADED is static and that does not cause springs to fail.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Yes, USING mags wears out springs.

Springs go bad from CYCLING them. Compressing, releasing, compressing, released, etc. Do it enough times and the spring fatigues.

Leaving them LOADED is static and that does not cause springs to fail.

Just like bed springs...:innocent0

:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom