• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Got a new Boyds stock for my Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Grendel. This was one of their marked down stocks that (I assume) was a cancelled order. It is the Feather Weight thumb hole stock in Forest Cammo. It is attractive and comfortable, although I have yet to shoot it. Also installed a Timney trigger - much better than the bladed factory trigger IMHO.

There are a couple of issues I would like to point out if you are considering a thumb hole stock for your Ruger American:

1. The High comb is ALMOST too high in that the bolt rubs slightly. It is not egregious enough to warrant a return; It is (IMHO) self-correcting in that a very small is groove is wearing in the comb edge that you can't even notice. Otherwise, the fit is EXCELLENT; bolt handle, mag well, receiver, very nice.

2. The barrel is no longer free-floated. I will probably end up bedding the barrel but will have to see how it shoots first.

3. The trigger guard and mag well are plastic; but seem to be of very good quality. Boyds uses (I think) Nylon 66. I like the shape of the trigger guard.

I ended up replacing the Bushnell 3-9X in the pic with a Burris 2.5-10X that's actually shorter.

Attachments

• IMG_1353.jpg
      IMG_1353.jpg
      72.7 KB · Views: 558
    • IMG_1348.jpg
      IMG_1348.jpg
      121 KB · Views: 539
    • IMG_1349.jpg
      IMG_1349.jpg
      142.4 KB · Views: 510
    • IMG_1350.jpg
      IMG_1350.jpg
      137.5 KB · Views: 515
    • IMG_1357.jpg
      IMG_1357.jpg
      98.3 KB · Views: 541

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I fit one of those to a SA R700 not too awful long ago. It was laminate grey or brown maybe.
    Specifically it needed very slight adjusting around the action body, 3 point bedded, front guard screw shortened a very small amount.
    Heavy barreled reciever didn't need any additional clearance throughout barrel channel.
    Owner reported more than satisfactory performance-Price was great and no problems shipping to my house.
    In the past I had fit a few of the military replacement stocks they offered and they were an abortion. M17 and 03. punky wood, poorly cut etc but reasonably priced hard to complain overall.
    I cant say the same for modern laminated applications except they are heavy which should be expected. Good hard epoxy /resin in them.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Here's what it looks like with the Burris 2.5-10X Fullfield.
    OBTW this stock weighs in right at 2.5 pounds by my trigger pull scale.

Attachments

• IMG_1358.jpg
      IMG_1358.jpg
      71.2 KB · Views: 477

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Got a new Boyds stock for my Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Grendel. This was one of their marked down stocks that (I assume) was a cancelled order. It is the Feather Weight thumb hole stock in Forest Cammo. It is attractive and comfortable, although I have yet to shoot it. Also installed a Timney trigger - much better than the bladed factory trigger IMHO.

There are a couple of issues I would like to point out if you are considering a thumb hole stock for your Ruger American:

1. The High comb is ALMOST too high in that the bolt rubs slightly. It is not egregious enough to warrant a return; It is (IMHO) self-correcting in that a very small is groove is wearing in the comb edge that you can't even notice. Otherwise, the fit is EXCELLENT; bolt handle, mag well, receiver, very nice.

2. The barrel is no longer free-floated. I will probably end up bedding the barrel but will have to see how it shoots first.

3. The trigger guard and mag well are plastic; but seem to be of very good quality. Boyds uses (I think) Nylon 66. I like the shape of the trigger guard.

I ended up replacing the Bushnell 3-9X in the pic with a Burris 2.5-10X that's actually shorter.

OP, are you in Maryland? What I thought I understood from past practice was that Boyd's would not ship thumbhole stocks to Maryland addresses. I wrote Boyd's off because of it too.

Do I have this wrong?

Great review and pics by the way! And a good looking rig there!

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    OP, are you in Maryland? What I thought I understood from past practice was that Boyd's would not ship thumbhole stocks to Maryland addresses. I wrote Boyd's off because of it too.

Do I have this wrong?

Great review and pics by the way! And a good looking rig there!

AFAIK, they won't ship semi-auto thumb hole stocks, including those for a Ruger 10/22, to Maryland.

EDIT - but you can get the same stock from Brownells shipped to Maryland.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    $430 for the rifle (although they are probably more now) , $157 for the discounted stock, $145 for the scope, $140 for the Timney trigger, $35 for the Warne rings. $907 for the rig. We'll see it how it shoots.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Boyd’s shipped to me no problem and no questions asked. OP, I too have a Ruger American Predator (in 6 mm Creedmore) that I swapped the stock for the Boyd’s AT-ONE thumbhole in Zombie Green. You say your problem now is your barrel is no longer free-floated? I find it hard to believe your stock RAP was free-floated with that flimsy cheap plastic stock. Mine was very, very far from free-floated, it was comical how bad it was.

My bolt clears just fine, but I also have a compromised free-float (see top-view pic). I can slide the dollar thru there okay, it doesn’t grab, but it takes some effort. A few minutes with my Dremel should work that out.

And yes, I dorked out a little (maybe a lot ?) with the zombie skulls replacement cheek riser and fore-end.

Attachments

• 2EC665BB-D90A-490B-AE68-D8EC8D1800D8.jpg
      2EC665BB-D90A-490B-AE68-D8EC8D1800D8.jpg
      46.4 KB · Views: 484
    • B8CACC91-1F6C-4784-A962-1790B29B1BB6.jpg
      B8CACC91-1F6C-4784-A962-1790B29B1BB6.jpg
      67.3 KB · Views: 450
    • F02BFC60-FBDA-4955-BB4A-B473D5ACB612.jpg
      F02BFC60-FBDA-4955-BB4A-B473D5ACB612.jpg
      39.3 KB · Views: 445
    • D67EE64D-27B2-4534-882D-162DDAB3F285.jpg
      D67EE64D-27B2-4534-882D-162DDAB3F285.jpg
      56.6 KB · Views: 438

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    $430 for the rifle (although they are probably more now) , $157 for the discounted stock, $145 for the scope, $140 for the Timney trigger, $35 for the Warne rings. $907 for the rig. We'll see it how it shoots.

Looking forward to a range report with the new stock. I've been eyeballing replacing the stock on my Ruger American Rimfire and it's much bigger "go wild" Ruger American brother in 30-06 with Boyd's stocks. I definitely prefer laminate over plastic every day of the week.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I fit one of those to a SA R700 not too awful long ago. It was laminate grey or brown maybe.
    Specifically it needed very slight adjusting around the action body, 3 point bedded, front guard screw shortened a very small amount.
    Heavy barreled reciever didn't need any additional clearance throughout barrel channel.
    Owner reported more than satisfactory performance-Price was great and no problems shipping to my house.
    In the past I had fit a few of the military replacement stocks they offered and they were an abortion. M17 and 03. punky wood, poorly cut etc but reasonably priced hard to complain overall.
    I cant say the same for modern laminated applications except they are heavy which should be expected. Good hard epoxy /resin in them.

If I could sir ask your opinion on what you think about the bolt rubbing the comb?

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    If I could sir ask your opinion on what you think about the bolt rubbing the comb?

Depending on how much interference there is I would bed the action/barrel with acra-gel and see if that didn't cure the problem.
    If it was still close, even after bedding the tang, I would take a single cut pillar file and very carefully remove the top of the comb only from where the cocking piece interferes with it, horizontally, moving towards the muzzle all the while creating clearance.
    And then break it ever ever so slightly rounding the top of the comb over to blend it in with the rest of the stock.
    No sandpaper, secure the stock in a vise so it doesn't move, keep the file flat work towards the muzzle in long even strokes, gently break it over.
    The wider the file the better, work one side at a time, clean the file of wood and polyurethane pinning, stop and look at it, re assemble and test, build the finish back up with BLO with polymerize-rs in it-multiple coats, buff with soft cloth and your done.
    Dont panic when you see the poly coming off it and it turns white, keep it small-once the oil gets in there it will match the rest of finish.
    You could also probably build the finish back up with satin spray bomb poly and wet sand with oil and turps with very fine wet dry paper and get the same results.
    The trick is to avoid gouging with the file just lay it flat carefully before moving it. once you get through the poly the wood will come a little more quickly.
    Take breaks, drink a lot of coffee.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I've been thinking of their montecarlo style (I forget their name for it, Classic?) for my Howa 1500 in 6.5 grendel. My concern there though is added weight. I really need to take the action out of the stock and weigh the crappy plastic stock. I don't mind if it adds a couple of ounces, but I am worried its going to be a pound or more heavier. Since its a woods gun, not just a bench gun, not at all what I want.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I did end up glass bedding the lugs on this rifle (the Ruger American has two recoil lugs) so they are solid and don't move. I am working on opening up the barrel channel so it free-floats. I post pics later when the barrel is free-floated.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    In the mean time; I got (at a discount) this Boyds Rimfire Hunter in Pepper laminate for my 10/22 carbine. It literally was in a drop-in fit, and a tight fit at that. Let me tell you, this thing is SWEET!

Attachments

• IMG_1435.jpg
      IMG_1435.jpg
      74.5 KB · Views: 133

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Boyd’s shipped to me no problem and no questions asked. OP, I too have a Ruger American Predator (in 6 mm Creedmore) that I swapped the stock for the Boyd’s AT-ONE thumbhole in Zombie Green. You say your problem now is your barrel is no longer free-floated? I find it hard to believe your stock RAP was free-floated with that flimsy cheap plastic stock. Mine was very, very far from free-floated, it was comical how bad it was.

My bolt clears just fine, but I also have a compromised free-float (see top-view pic). I can slide the dollar thru there okay, it doesn’t grab, but it takes some effort. A few minutes with my Dremel should work that out.

And yes, I dorked out a little (maybe a lot ?) with the zombie skulls replacement cheek riser and fore-end.

Do you end up doing any glass bedding? Honestly, for the Ruger American I think it's more of a "glue the recoil lugs in place" job than a bedding job, which is fairly simple. I don't know, there are more experienced guys around here that might chime on the best strategy for glass bedding a Ruger American, I am not an expert.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    So this is the bedding job I did. The rear lug bedding has just a bit of the receiver. The front lug has more. I free-floated the barrel but I think I over did it. When checking the clearance, looks like you need to tighten the barrel down to get a good reading.

Attachments

• IMG_1445.jpg
      IMG_1445.jpg
      68.8 KB · Views: 126
    • IMG_1446.jpg
      IMG_1446.jpg
      94.4 KB · Views: 126
    • IMG_1447.jpg
      IMG_1447.jpg
      92.8 KB · Views: 146

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Do you end up doing any glass bedding? Honestly, for the Ruger American I think it's more of a "glue the recoil lugs in place" job than a bedding job, which is fairly simple. I don't know, there are more experienced guys around here that might chime on the best strategy for glass bedding a Ruger American, I am not an expert.
    I did zero bedding as of this time. I’m considering bedding versus dremel clearing. It shoots great groups now, but I haven’t taken it out to past 200 yds yet. If it shoots good out to 500 or so, I’ll call it good. I have several other real serious 1,000 yard rifles, this may end up being just a fun lightweight hunting rifle. Not sure what direction this one will go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom