• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Howdy guys. At a local watering hole, I recently picked up a ratty old Colt made in 1918 simply because I felt sorry for the old thing and these items came with it. Now, I'm under no illusions that either of these have stayed with the pistol all these years and I don't really care. Still, I'd like to figure out the markings for my own curiosity and it's always nice to know a bit of the history of any old item. What I need help with identifying the markings on this M1912 pistol belt and 1918 HOYT holster:

Both have seen their fair share of use with the holster catching the brunt of the beating stick. I don't much care about value as I assume neither has much monetarily. As I said, I just want to understand the markings, particularly the unit markings.

We'll start with the holster. It's just a run of the mill HOYT made in 1918:

Although the stitching looks original, I assume the little leather bumper at the bottom has been removed at some point and the stitching redone but I have no idea why it would have been done. People do weird things over the years. Here is the end of the holster compared to a 1944 made on on the right:

There should have been a leather bumper, correct?

On the inside of the flap is the unit marking I'd like you to identify:

It reads "1 F 117 F A " I'm assuming that's the 117 Field Artillery attached to the 31st Infantry Division but I'm no expert and might be 100% wrong on that. And even if I'm right, I don't know what the "1 F" is. You tell me please.

Next is the belt:

If my research is correct, the single keeper, lack of a magazine pouch snap, and the missing adjustment grommets tell me it's a 1st pattern belt made in about 1913.

The manufacturer's markings:

What I'd like you to help me with are the ink stamps.

One is illegible:

One says "119 HQ"

And the other looks like crossed sabres:

Now, I know that can't be 1st Cavalry as they weren't formed until 1921 and I can't imagine an unused web belt sitting around that long back then before being put into service so please tell me what the stamp really is. I'd be much obliged!

That's it. There was a 1918 magazine pouch too but I didn't bother taking pictures of that because it was only manufacturer marked so no interpretation is needed. Thanks for any assistance you guys can provide!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom