• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • damosan

Feb 21, 2009
    I recently obtained a Ruger 9mm PC Charger...

The short answer is that you cannot register it as an SBR because of Maryland's laws - thus your only options are to remove the brace, add a stock and muzzle device to make minimum length requirements (big money!), use a brace that's "ok" (after removing all accessories), or turn in the gun.

Said another way the current proposed regulations unfairly financially burdens Maryland residents.

Be sure to post that when ATF opens up their latest missive for comments. I plan to do so. Not to mention go on at length about spending hard earned money in good faith, changing rules with little or no analysis as to end user costs, etc.

D.

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    Going to be lawsuits. They can’t make something you legally bought and make it illegal. At the very least, they will have to grandfather you in.
    I didn't own a bump stock, but isn't that pretty much what they did with those?

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Is something happening? Last time I checked pistols with braces were OK. What's new and what are the regs? Can a pistol be too long?

LeadSled1

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 25, 2009
    MD
    So Maryland demands heavy barrels on the ARs. This runs counter to the ATF weight requirements.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    So Maryland demands heavy barrels on the ARs. This runs counter to the ATF weight requirements.

Also worth mentioning in comments. There are firearms that can't be registered as SBRs in Maryland, both due to that and due to length requirements.

FrankAR15

Feb 1, 2008
    Anne Arundel Co.

Attachments

• F38CDB52-50EB-4B3A-A1A9-1CB519811A5A.jpg
      F38CDB52-50EB-4B3A-A1A9-1CB519811A5A.jpg
      55.5 KB · Views: 202

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Going to be lawsuits. They can’t make something you legally bought and make it illegal. At the very least, they will have to grandfather you in.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHA :lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2:

Sorry, were you being serious? And in general, yes, they can take something you own and make it illegal. Look at all of the drug laws that banned substances. There was no exception for anything you already owned.

ATF has indicated they have no plan to give tax stamps to people who now have SBRs. You file the form 1/4 and pay the $200, turn it in, destroy it, or modify it so it is no longer an SBR.

I suspect they will LOSE in court with that stance. But that is what they are going with.

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHA :lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2:

Sorry, were you being serious? And in general, yes, they can take something you own and make it illegal. Look at all of the drug laws that banned substances. There was no exception for anything you already owned.

ATF has indicated they have no plan to give tax stamps to people who now have SBRs. You file the form 1/4 and pay the $200, turn it in, destroy it, or modify it so it is no longer an SBR.

I suspect they will LOSE in court with that stance. But that is what they are going with.

And their justification to not offer free stamps for braced weapons is because people would use it as an amnesty to register anything they have for free, not just braced weapons. A reasonable person would say it's been 53 years since the last amnesty, so it's time to do another.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    And their justification to not offer free stamps for braced weapons is because people would use it as an amnesty to register anything they have for free, not just braced weapons. A reasonable person would say it's been 53 years since the last amnesty, so it's time to do another.

I was reviewing form 4999 and basically it'll be cheaper to SBR my pistols than re-modify them to conform to the checklist. They targeted all the major "offenders" the only seemingly ok brace is the original Sig brace or just a pistol tube with butt cap.

So my gripe is I can shoulder an MP5 without a brace and put a cantilever mount with a scope or red dot on it and is that illegal? WTF

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom