Attempting my first AR build...Am I off to a good start?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Bore scope
    Magpul BEV block
    Long Allen wrench set for SAE and Metric
    Inspection picks
    Magpul Armorer wrench
    Small needle nose pliers
    Utility knife w/razor blade
    Torque wrench 1/2"
    Breaker bar 1/2"
    Aeroshell 64
    Loctite 720
    Tack hammer (get one at Lowe's)
    Screwdrivers (flat and Phillips)
    Torx wrench set
    Sotaracha
    Lapping tool
    Lapping compound
    Mobil 1 Synthetic oil
    Wheeler AR15/AR10 vice block (used when lapping the upper)
    Feeler gauges
    Punch set
    Roll pin punch set
    Roll pin starter punches
    223 GO, 556 GO, 556 FIELD headspace gauges (pacific tool and gauge will also modify them for a small fee, so they will clear the extractor and ejector)
    Cordless drill (used for lapping the upper)
    And many more

I know it’s a typo but it should be Loctite 620 not 720.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Ckass?

The OP should get the parts and take a class where they go over tools and use the instructor’s tools to get a general idea on what to get for next time

GBear

Mar 16, 2021
    Baltimore
    The OP should get the parts and take a class where they go over tools and use the instructor’s tools to get a general idea on what to get for next time

Didn’t even think these classes existed, but that’s a great idea. Can you point me in the right direction or should do what I normally do...Google it!

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Gas block spaghetti trick... find spaghetti that's big enough to fill most of the gas port hole in the barrel, but that's not too tight. With gas port up, break off spaghetti flush with the barrel. Measure its length so you know you got all of it out later(two lines on paper will do) .

With gas port up, drop in spaghetti and then slide gas block over it, roughly where you think it's lined up. Now turn the barrel 90 degrees so the gas block is down and look up the bore as you move the gas block around. When it's lined up, the spaghetti will fall down into the gas block. You should be able to figure out where center is by wiggling the block left/right and front/back so that the spaghetti freely moves in and out of the block as you rotate the gas port to face up and down.

Tighten up the gas block(assuming clamp on). Next turn gas port up again and use a cleaning rod to push from chamber to muzzle to snap the spaghetti out the front. Keep the piece that comes out, pull back the cleaning rod and push forward again. Repeat until there's no spaghetti coming out the front. Gather up the spaghetti pieces and verify that they fit together to make up the initial length so that you know there's not loose sketty up in the gun somewhere.

It's basically what these do...
    https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-...-tools/ar-15-gas-block-aligner-prod68371.aspx
    ...but without needing to buy plastic sketty.

I've always just eyeballed it, but do what ever you want.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Didn’t even think these classes existed, but that’s a great idea. Can you point me in the right direction or should do what I normally do...Google it!

My teacher was Youtube and trial & error. Don't forget go/no-go gauges for your bolt and barrel. It's a good idea to buy a matched set (bolt/barrel) that's been head spaced, if you can find one.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I’ve been looking at complete lowers/uppers all morning. Seems like the safe middle of the road way to go. Question...if I order a complete lower, the receiver extension still has to be a brace and not a stock, correct? I’m also stuck between getting the less expensive parts vs geissele triggers and high end complete uppers with a quality bcg. I already have a DDM4 PDW and waiting on my Nomad-30 to be set free, but being such a beginner to firearms I truly would have purchased something chambered in 5.56 instead of 300 blackout. Ammo prices make shooting very limited. I am on the wait list for a Walther PDP, which should be available in August. I said all of that to say this...this will probably be last firearm purchase for a while. The next step is training, training, and more training. But what would you guys do...spend the extra cash on all of the “custom” parts you want or go for a budget build? Or...wait until what I really want because available, which doesn’t have a time frame? Sorry for the long post, but I’m self-diagnosed OCD and this will consume my mind and time until I solve it.

Sometimes you just need to get your feet wet. I did with a side charger upper. Bought one, shot it, sold it. I liked the concept but realized I would prefer a different configuration side charger. You are still learning the ins and outs of the AR platform. Same here. I realize you desire the pistol with brace set up. There are frames and parts all over..pricey now.

Gun Connection had 6 carbine stock lowers all ready to go Tuesday. All kinds of useable 16” uppers out there. For about $750-$800 you can get your feet wet in a carbine. You already have some of your build parts. With the carbine acquired you can shoot, assess, then slow build your specified pistol as the parts you seek become available and make the changes you want as you learn with the carbine.

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    Gas block spaghetti trick...
    Lots of ways to get two holes to meet, I suppose. I have always just measured the distance from the center of the hole in the gas block to the from of the gas block and the marked the radial position of the holes on each, then assembled. My method is superior because it is gluten free. :yummy:

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville

I also eyeball it if I am not dimpling. I haven't missed yet - It really just isn't that complicated. Even this dumb noddle trick can land you with a misaligned gas block, as the hole in the gas block is huge compared to the barrel port. I imagine you would get closer to center with eyeballing. Or just do what most people do and dimple the barrel.

Last edited:

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    My teacher was Youtube and trial & error. Don't forget go/no-go gauges for your bolt and barrel. It's a good idea to buy a matched set (bolt/barrel) that's been head spaced, if you can find one.

Some may chime in differently, but out of dozens upon dozens of barrels / bolts and builds, I have yet to see a random bolt not headspace properly to a random barrel... although I rarely use junk parts.

I still use headspace gauges, but 99/100 or more times you simply don't need it.

Buy quality parts, build properly... and shoot it.

I know some of you have an aneurism just thinking about this.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Some may chime in differently, but out of dozens upon dozens of barrels / bolts and builds, I have yet to see a random bolt not headspace properly to a random barrel... although I rarely use junk parts.

I still use headspace gauges, but 99/100 or more times you simply don't need it.

Buy quality parts, build properly... and shoot it.

I know some of you have an aneurism just thinking about this.

Yeah... I'd say for a first build I'd check the head space just for the practice. I have a full set, go, no-go, and field, that can be used but not lent. I don't lend tools... sorry

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    Rather than buy the tools for one build, stick around and get to know members around here. There’s actually some that enjoy building them, whereas I just enjoy shooting them. It brings them pleasure to build?!? Have at it! ;)

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Hatin's part of the game... he had some good nuggets of advice. I'm still not on board with the Mobil 1 thing but hey, that's just me.

At some point you just don’t need it. See the recent lube thread. People denigrated his work. That’s inaccurate and unnecessary.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    OP, seems like you have plenty of help here, so I'll just butt out. Once you build it and take it to the range, maybe that's when the fun will begin...:)

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008

The spaghetti or alignment peg trick works pretty well. Nowadays, a bore scope makes it easy... but the ones with spaghetti were pretty dead nuts centered. Explaining it takes more time than actually doing it and it gave me some peace of mind.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210610-201250_Gallery.jpg
      Screenshot_20210610-201250_Gallery.jpg
      28.3 KB · Views: 81

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads