• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RNB3

Apr 24, 2019
    in dem mountinz
    Well, if I'm thinking about running I'd guess I'm dead...
    I used to backpack a little in which case my answer is absolutely ludicrous. So, time to fire is realative to how fast the threat is upon me. The subject is totslly a crap shoot. More than one way to skin a cat kind of situation. I'm just saying I guess my opinion (which I cetainly don't get paid for) is if you want a .45 and want more than eight or nine rounds...

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008

Seriously though, glock 21 in .460 Rowland. 13+1 capacity with .44 mag ballistics. Add a can of bear mace and woods defense is pretty solid.

GMU

Jul 8, 2020
    I agree with Deathracer. If you are camping in Md and use a handgun against an animal or human you are more than likely going to end up in big trouble. Definitely loose that handgun (confiscated), so perhaps add that to your equation. Shot a bear in Md out of season and it might be your last handgun you own legally. Plus it is true in Md you are safer in the woods than in any urban area. So sad but that is the state our state is in.

May 21, 2017
    Gaithersburg, MD
    I agree with Deathracer. If you are camping in Md and use a handgun against an animal or human you are more than likely going to end up in big trouble. Definitely loose that handgun (confiscated), so perhaps add that to your equation. Shot a bear in Md out of season and it might be your last handgun you own legally. Plus it is true in Md you are safer in the woods than in any urban area. So sad but that is the state our state is in.

Minor compared to getting AFU by a black bear. I'd venture to guess there are very few instances of that happening but if it's happening to me I hope they find an empty mag in the gun next to my carcass cause I'm not going down easy. :lol2:

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Minor compared to getting AFU by a black bear. I'd venture to guess there are very few instances of that happening but if it's happening to me I hope they find an empty mag in the gun next to my carcass cause I'm not going down easy. :lol2:

Bear: “That bastard didn’t go down easy, please pass the Rolaids”

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I tend to hold off most hiking in remote areas until we're getting sustained temps below 60. I'm not concerned about bears, but ticks and venomous snakes both give me pause. Abandoned/ stray dogs can be another serious concern, especially within an hour or so of the big towns. I do usually carry bear spray if I'm in bear country and I assume it works on dogs too.

ralph.mclean

GOC (Grumpy Old Cop)
    Jan 27, 2018
    Edgewater, MD
    Sig P-227 if you can find one. They are out of production, but I see them occasionally on different sites.

Get a cross-chest rig too, if you want to have it readily accessible.

But this IS for someplace outside MD right? One of the free states? 'Cause like the guy said, you shoot a bear in MD out of season, threatened or not, and you ARE going to have legal issues, which could impact your right to possess firearms of any type...

Last edited:

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    Where are you camping and is it legal to carry a handgun there?

Camping anywhere in MD, you would need a CCW unless private property.

Maryland Wear and Carry prohibits carrying in State Parks even with a permit.

I'll register as a democrat before I go camping so I'll be sure to have a get out of jail card. :lol2:

Seriously, I guess a Mossberg Shockwave would be the way to go.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    As has probably been said, Glock 20 or 21.

Not because I'm a Glock fanboy but because if I was dicking around in the woods all day I would want something lightweight.

If you're concerned about bear I'd go 10mm, but if you're SERIOUSLY concerned about bear (which I wouldn't be,) I'd take the extra weight and bring a .44mag or something.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    I hate weight. When i was in basic i dreamed of running in running shoes and not combat boots. If i am in the eastern woods where I have a permit to carry i am carrying a G33. My concern is people, not critters, but .357 is a good cross over for feral dogs and were wolves (Winchester silver tips, of course). If really big critters are your concern, i second or third those who suggested a 10mm. But they are all handguns, not death rays.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom