• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wabbit

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2010
    Our daughter is doing a part time job where she gives presentations online to sell Cutco knives. I've seen the price of the knives and they are very expensive. With their guarantees, it seems the knives would be worth it for someone who uses them for work, such as a chef or cook, but are they worth it for everyday home cooks? I'm asking because it seems our daughter might be wasting her time by not targeting cooking professionals, but she doesn't know any professional cooks to sell to.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    We have a pretty decent sized set of Cutco Knives. They are well made and the warranty is very good. Overall, we like them.

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    I’ve had a set for 45 years. Never a problem or warranty claim. I consider them a lifetime purchase.....

MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    My parents are still using their set of Cutco knives from 25 years ago. Seem to be worth the money. Its hard finding people who look past the initial investment though. The only reason my parents bought them was because my best friends brother was selling them as part time work too.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I sold in HS as a graduating senior. I still only have one steak knife as I sold my demo set when heading off to college. Only thing is that if you want them sharpened, at least back then, you had to send them in. I never had to have them sharpened though and my parents still have theirs.
    I do use Henckels knives (who I sold against). I can't put those in the dish washer. Can't recall if Cutco can cause I sure wish I could.
    If someone came to my door selling them, I'd probably buy a set now just for the heck of it.

Online presentation? I had to go door to door or cold call parents from the church. (I was active in the CYO program so lots of people to network with)

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    It's Multi Level Marketing at its finest. Only a very few people ever make money selling them

They are a pretty good product though, with a good warranty. But not professional level.

TI-tick

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    They own K Bar. I got my Uncle a fillet knife w/ his name engraved on it for free. He's happy with it; they make high quality stuff. I've handled their knives at shows and chatted with the sales rep.

With the stimmie cash your daughter may get some sales. I'm not a chef so IDK how they rate for hard use.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    1. Most Cutco owners swear by them , and praise the warranty.

2. Most serious knife enthusiasts think they can either get similar for less , or more better- er for same price .

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    The way they market them (usually college kids) once they run out of relatives and friends,that's the end of their Cutco career. They are good knives though. Most ordinary restaurant chefs don't really own a set of knives. They send them in for sharpening and don't get the same knives back. There is a rotation of sharpened knives between restaurants.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Nothing wrong with them but nothing particularly great about them either.

The bar is set so low with modern cutlery that nearly anything beyond big box store brands are considered solid.

Shun and Wusthof are pretty much the gold standard. The Wusthof Classic 8' is an excellent all around chef knife for the money and so are their steak knives.

With knives, you pay for the steel. AUS10 is often considered the beginning of the "good stuff", with AUS8 being less desirable but still ok if you get a good price.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    1. Most Cutco owners swear by them , and praise the warranty.

2. Most serious knife enthusiasts think they can either get similar for less , or more better- er for same price .

Kinda where I am. I like them because before I had them I had junk knives and didn't know any better. Some of our kids have them too and its nice to be able to add to their collection as a gift.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nothing wrong with them but nothing particularly great about them either.

The bar is set so low with modern cutlery that nearly anything beyond big box store brands are considered solid.

Shun and Wusthof are pretty much the gold standard. The Wusthof Classic 8' is an excellent all around chef knife for the money and so are their steak knives.

With knives, you pay for the steel. AUS10 is often considered the beginning of the "good stuff", with AUS8 being less desirable but still ok if you get a good price.

*****I don't cook much myself, but the lady that cooks some of my meals during the week asked me to purchase these Wusthof knives and a special DMT sharpening system (Diamond impregnated sharpening system with several different grits..) to keep them sharp.

They seem very well made and balanced and are wickedly sharp. She uses specialized Shun knives for preparing sushi and other sea food, but the Wusthof knives below are her go to knives for most everything else. The knives were not inexpensive but seem to be of lasting quality. They are hand wash only.

I have some other brand knives from smaller manufacturers for sushi that I purchased when I was in Japan some years back and they come in individual scabbards. They are made by smaller boutique type makers and are made of layers of VG-10 or just Inox-Aus 10, which is a common steel used in high end Japanese knives. They are works of art and great for making professional quality Rolls (sushi). Stupid expensive but I'm told they will last a lifetime if taken care of.

The Wusthof knives are more than enough for my needs but the Japanese specialty Sushi knives work well and really look nice with their scabbards, etc.. You can't go wrong with either. It's good steel for the price point (Wusthof).

Attachments

• Wusthof.jpg
      Wusthof.jpg
      27.1 KB · Views: 362
    • Sushi2.jpg
      Sushi2.jpg
      61.4 KB · Views: 358

akalma

MDS Supporter
    Nov 24, 2008
    МоКо
    Reminded me a funny story from many years ago. Son's girlfriend came to use us as guinea pigs as a beginner Cutco sales person. She started her demo and one of the steps was to impress us how good were their knifes.

She asked me to bring my sharpest knife. Next, she wanted to show how dull was it and asked me to cut the piece of thick rope she brought. My knife was recently honed and was sharp, it went through that rope as it was a butter! She didn't expect it, her scenario got botched, she could not continue her presentation. We laughed and stopped it.

But back to the point, Cutco knifes are not bad but are not the cheapest.

Dingo3

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2013
    Fredneck
    Sold them for a month on winter break from college in 1996/97. Had a pretty good success rate. Still have my demo set and nothing has needed service or sharpening in nearly 25 years.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    The way they market them (usually college kids) once they run out of relatives and friends,that's the end of their Cutco career.
    Haha... That's why I bought mine: a favorite nephew sold them until we all had them, then fizzled out and got a real job.
    They are good knives though.
    My mom has a set from when we were kids (50+ years ago) and they have been decent knives. She still has them and they still cut just fine. The set I bought (steak knives and the medium size kitchen kit) has seen very little use and are still very sharp.

cww

Jan 28, 2010
    Our set is is over 40 years old, not a problem or need to send in for sharpening…..so yes

justiw

Jan 26, 2012
    There is no magic sauce in Cutco products to make them inherently superior. As a hobby maker, the heat treatment of the steel is more important than the type of steel. Geometry is also critical, with thinness at the edge having probably the greatest impact on actual cutting.

I think they use 440A, or one of the 440 grades. There's tons of great steel to choose from, some with better toughness and some with better edge retention, but its always a balance between the 2. The new best in class stainless is named Magna cut, but it is VERY new.

For the price of a set, you could almost have a set of good custom knives made to your specs. Newer makers might even beat it on price.

ENDuRUN

Jun 13, 2021
    I worked as a short order cook and prep cook for 2 years. I have used my MILs Cutco Knives a number of times. My impression is that they are good. I personally own Wustoff Knives which I really like. I would never give up my 10" chefs knife - use it every day.

Things to keep in mind: does the knife maintains a sharp edge with reasonable maintenance, is the handle is ergonomic, is the weight and balance acceptable, and the price is right?

Cutco knives are high quality. Please understand that their price reflects the multi level marketing concept- for every knife sold, multiple people get their "cut" (pun intended), thus the price is higher. Amway has some really good stuff too, but for the same reason, their cost/value ratio is lost.
    This fat guy is a big fan of Henckel's Twin series from Solingen Germany. Take note that Henckel's pulled a BS move by marketing a crappy Chinese line called "Henckel's Intl" with a single stick figure as the logo. If shopping for Henckel's knives, make sure you buy the knives with two stick figures on the logo- preferably made in Solingen Germany.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom