• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jan 15, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I currently have a Savage MKII F which I'm hoping to take to an Appleseed shoot sometime next year. My wife actually got me Tech-Sights and a GI sling for Christmas, so Its almost there :thumbsup:

My question is, do you guys think using the sling would put too much pressure on the synthetic stock and cause a change in accuracy? Savagegunsmithing.com and people on various forums mention the Savage synthetic stocks flexing too much (mainly FVSR shooters on bi-pods I think) but offer little to no proof. Is the issue blown out of proportion or is it a legimate concern? At some point I will likely swap the rifle into a wooden stock from a MKII G since I've grown to love the looks of the blued/wood combo, but I'm just curious if it will actually improve accuracy or consistancy.

SuperMag

Citizen--not "Subject"
    Nov 30, 2011
    Maryland
    If your barrel is floated (pass a dollar bill between the barrel and the stock and see if the paper goes all the way to the receiver), any little flex shouldn't affect accuracy. I shoot more accurately without a sling. The front stock is resting on my closed fist, and it works pretty well.

LS1

Jun 19, 2010
    Not So Free State
    I believe that appleseed teaches the use of a sling. If the sling flexes the stock enough to hit the barrel, you may have problems. Also, a bolt gun is not the best choice for timed fire from prone, not that it can't be done, just much harder.

Jan 15, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Thanks for the input guys. Appleseed does encourage (maybe require) a sling so I will be using one. I may try and pick up a 10/22 and make things a bit easier on myself but I hate to buy another rim fire instead of putting that money towards something more suitable for home defense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom