• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hkbob

Oct 2, 2013
    Well between the Limbsaver and the new hornady ammo I am very very happy. Kicks less than a 30-06 now...put 5 rounds through it and I could have gone another few boxes.

rmocarsky

Apr 20, 2011
    Can firing rifled slugs (not sabots) through a fully rifled shotgun barrel be harmful? I would have thought so.

I also would have thought that the rifling in the barrel would cause the rifled slug some problem with accuracy.

Rmocarsky

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Can firing rifled slugs (not sabots) through a fully rifled shotgun barrel be harmful? I would have thought so.

I also would have thought that the rifling in the barrel would cause the rifled slug some problem with accuracy.

Rmocarsky

No. Not all. There are guys out here who cry and swear on their claims and false information that rifled slugs will lead up the rifling in a rifled barrel. That is complete pucky. I know several guys who have been shooting rifled slugs in rifled slug barrels for years and there is zero, zip, nada, zilch, evidence of leading in the barrel. I have shot rifled slugs in my slug gun. My Nephew has never shot anything but rifled Sluggers in his Mossberg 500 20 gauge slug gun, and I have two friends who have been shooting rifled slugs in their slug barrels for many years. This guys do a lot of target shooting at 75 to 100 yards. 50 is more common for them, but, there's no evidence of leading in any of these guns... and I'm not really sure any of these guys ever run a brush their guns either.

Does it defeat accuracy in any way ? Heeeeeell no. I have seen rifled slugs shoot more accurate in a rifled barrel than sabot slugs. 3" or less groups at 50 to 75 yards is more than enough to convince me or anyone else.

This debate has been raging since the sabot slug started getting popular and almost being the only thing you can find on a shelf anymore. If you have never shot rifled slugs in a rifled slug barrel... try it. You'll probably never buy another sabot slug again. I think the main reason some guys are so against a rifled slug in a rifled barrel is simply because they just want to say, "It just ain't right"

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek

Rmocarsky
    Would kind of defeat the purpos of paying all that money for a rifled barrel! I was always told not to do it but never found any reason not to when I didn't listen as hard headed young men do. You loose about 100 yards of potential by using them.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Darn , I always wanted to try the Buckhammers, and it's too late. But I am pleased with Federal's TruBall from smoothbore.

With full dia slugs , and 12ga sabots , I don't feel the need for trick bullets for "improvedal" performance. A .50/ .62/ .72 cal with complete penetration leaves minimal need for "improvement".

A 20ga Sabot with a .40 projectile will benefit from controled expansion. For this and other reasons ( primarily $ ) , when I finally sight in daughter's 20ga Mossberg Rifled , I will be testing between TruBall nad Breeneke K.O. , with Fosters as distant backup.

Meanwhile , my Marlin 512 is sighted for BRI , and shoots cloverleaf groups, so I'm not fixing what isn't broken.

M1300 Winchoke Slug gun has been using TruBall.for thick cover usage.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Darn , I always wanted to try the Buckhammers, and it's too late. But I am pleased with Federal's TruBall from smoothbore.

With full dia slugs , and 12ga sabots , I don't feel the need for trick bullets for "improvedal" performance. A .50/ .62/ .72 cal with complete penetration leaves minimal need for "improvement".

A 20ga Sabot with a .40 projectile will benefit from controled expansion. For this and other reasons ( primarily $ ) , when I finally sight in daughter's 20ga Mossberg Rifled , I will be testing between TruBall nad Breeneke K.O. , with Fosters as distant backup.

Meanwhile , my Marlin 512 is sighted for BRI , and shoots cloverleaf groups, so I'm not fixing what isn't broken.

M1300 Winchoke Slug gun has been using TruBall.for thick cover usage.

The BuckHammers were the best slug on the market for a rifled barrel. The only other similar design I've tried is the Winchester RackMasters and my buddy is still using those in his 12 Ga. Very nice slugs as well. The Brenneke are designed for both smooth and rifled barrels. That's a dual purpose slug. My Nephew and another friend of mine are using old school Sluggers in their rifled barrels and killing Deer with ease out to 100 yards. I cast a reload my own 12 and 20 gauge slugs and my 20 Gauge slugs are my clone for the BuckHammers. I never seem to have to shoot past 50 yards at the farm, so, the clones work excellent.

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    The BuckHammers were the best slug on the market for a rifled barrel. The only other similar design I've tried is the Winchester RackMasters and my buddy is still using those in his 12 Ga. Very nice slugs as well. The Brenneke are designed for both smooth and rifled barrels. That's a dual purpose slug. My Nephew and another friend of mine are using old school Sluggers in their rifled barrels and killing Deer with ease out to 100 yards. I cast a reload my own 12 and 20 gauge slugs and my 20 Gauge slugs are my clone for the BuckHammers. I never seem to have to shoot past 50 yards at the farm, so, the clones work excellent.
    That one can be argued! there are better slugs. maybe the slug that remington tried to emulated and failed.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    I think the only recoil worse than a 3" slug is a 3 1/2" turkey load of copper plated lead shot.

Most of the time, I have a mercury recoil reducer in the stock of my Benelli SBE. When I put the rifled barrel on it, I change out the magazine cap with a mercury recoil reducer there too. It adds weight to the gun, but I have not had a problem with it still hunting, and surely no problem with it in a stand. Killed 8 does one morning in about 2 hours and my shoulder and back were fine. Have fired 15 rounds in a single sitting to sight it in and try different loads and there was no issue.

Meanwhile, my Browning BPS kicks like a mule when I shoot slugs out of it.

So, how did the sighting in end up going?

2 1/4ozs of goodness. I like to let the kids play with these. My son has been rocking them since he was 7. I had loaded up some 1000gr 700NE bullets in 12ga shells @1600fps. They would not stabilize with a rifled shotgun barrel and tumbled but they would obliterate a 6" tree when they hit what you aimed them at. I have tried a few heavy slugs with the same results. I might need a custom barrel some day.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28

Rmocarsky

Generally my setup is -50yds Slugger. 50-125yds 2 3/4" sabot. 125-200ish yds 3"sabot. I can pretty much use the same hold points.

haoleboy

1/2 Banned
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 17, 2005
    Dentsville
    No. Not all. There are guys out here who cry and swear on their claims and false information that rifled slugs will lead up the rifling in a rifled barrel. That is complete pucky. I know several guys who have been shooting rifled slugs in rifled slug barrels for years and there is zero, zip, nada, zilch, evidence of leading in the barrel. I have shot rifled slugs in my slug gun. My Nephew has never shot anything but rifled Sluggers in his Mossberg 500 20 gauge slug gun, and I have two friends who have been shooting rifled slugs in their slug barrels for many years. This guys do a lot of target shooting at 75 to 100 yards. 50 is more common for them, but, there's no evidence of leading in any of these guns... and I'm not really sure any of these guys ever run a brush their guns either.

Does it defeat accuracy in any way ? Heeeeeell no. I have seen rifled slugs shoot more accurate in a rifled barrel than sabot slugs. 3" or less groups at 50 to 75 yards is more than enough to convince me or anyone else.

This debate has been raging since the sabot slug started getting popular and almost being the only thing you can find on a shelf anymore. If you have never shot rifled slugs in a rifled slug barrel... try it. You'll probably never buy another sabot slug again. I think the main reason some guys are so against a rifled slug in a rifled barrel is simply because they just want to say, "It just ain't right"
    No crying here, but you couldn't be more wrong.
    Rifled slugs DO foul a rifled barrel. They were made for a smooth bore barrel. This is the reason the slug has rifling. Lead is softer than steel and WILL leave lead behind in the rifling. Call the manufacturer and ask them. Maybe the reason your guns won't shoot Sabot's worth a damn is because your rifled barrels are all gummed up. Instead of using Hoppes #9, try some lead and copper solvent and give your barrels a good cleaning. Then try and shoot some sabots.

It's pretty obvious that you don't want to shoot Sabots because you can make your own rifled slugs cheaper. Yes, Sabots are more expensive and are worth every penny. It's not a conspiracy from the ammo companies to get you to buy more expensive ammo with no increase in accuracy.

I'll put my H&R Ultra Slugger shooting 2 3/4" Hornady SST's against ANY of your guns shooting rifled slugs. I'll out shoot you all day long.

I guess the next thing you will tell others on the board here, is that after shooting a 100 round set of sporting clays/skeet/trap your barrel and or choke won't have any lead fouling?
    Or there's no difference in accuracy between Federal American Eagle vs. Federal Gold Medal Match either right? :sad20:

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    he cant see past 50 yards any way!
    Rifled slugs DO foul a rifled barrel. They were made for a smooth bore barrel. This is the reason the slug has rifling. Lead is softer than steel and WILL leave lead behind in the rifling. Call the manufacturer and ask them. Maybe the reason your guns won't shoot Sabot's worth a damn is because your rifled barrels are all gummed up. Instead of using Hoppes #9, try some lead and copper solvent and give your barrels a good cleaning. Then try and shoot some sabots.

It's pretty obvious that you don't want to shoot Sabots because you can make your own rifled slugs cheaper. Yes, Sabots are more expensive and are worth every penny. It's not a conspiracy from the ammo companies to get you to buy more expensive ammo with no increase in accuracy.

I'll put my H&R Ultra Slugger shooting 2 3/4" Hornady SST's against ANY of your guns shooting rifled slugs. I'll out shoot you all day long.

I guess the next thing you will tell others on the board here, is that after shooting a 100 round set of sporting clays/skeet/trap your barrel and or choke won't have any lead fouling?
    Or there's no difference in accuracy between Federal American Eagle vs. Federal Gold Medal Match either right? :sad20:

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll

When shooting a bunch of traget loads, a lot of the fouling is plastic from the wads. I can get my clays gun barrel super shiny with Hoppes #9 and two runs of a bore snake. Not much lead shot is exposed beyond the shot cup. Rifled lead slugs are a completely different animal and it is extremely tough for them to crush down as they enter the forcing cone on a smoothbore. Going through a rifled barrel means there will be lead left on the rifling, just like there is copper left on the rifling on rifles. So, you pretty much hit the nail on the head with the lead fouling issue. Thing is, it is pretty easy to get lead fouling out of a barrel. Usually, a copper brush will do the trick with a somewhat harsher cleaner, as you already mentioned.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    No. Not all. There are guys out here who cry and swear on their claims and false information that rifled slugs will lead up the rifling in a rifled barrel. That is complete pucky.
    I know several guys who have been shooting rifled slugs in rifled slug barrels for years and there is zero, zip, nada, zilch, evidence of leading in the barrel. I have shot rifled slugs in my slug gun. My Nephew has never shot anything but rifled Sluggers in his Mossberg 500 20 gauge slug gun, and I have two friends who have been shooting rifled slugs in their slug barrels for many years. This guys do a lot of target shooting at 75 to 100 yards. 50 is more common for them, but, there's no evidence of leading in any of these guns... and I'm not really sure any of these guys ever run a brush their guns either.

Well, take it from me......

I have a 26" Hastings fully rifled 'bull barrel' and when I bought it, the old BRI Sabot rounds were 'the hot lick'.
    This is a 'Target' barrel and has about 3/16" of steel walls around the bore. This barrel is thick and it is heavy.

I sighted this fantastic barrel in, at 100 yards.
    It is extremely accurate.

A good friend of mine was curious as to what kind of groups I'd get with Remington "Slugger" 2-3/4" rifled slugs.

After shooting five (5) rounds, the inside of the barrel was CAKED with lead.
    It took over an hour, with a 10 gauge bronze bore brush and some Kano-Kroil, to get the lead out.

Tell ya what I'll do........
    I still have several boxes of these old Remington Sluggers (bought them at Ames, in Waldorf, for $1.26 per box, btw!).

You (and anyone else that wants to come along) can accompany me to any range that allows rifled slugs, and I'll shoot 5 of my Remington FACTORY slugs through this barrel.

IF the barrel is fouled with lead, you clean the barrel (to my satisfaction) and pay me $100.00.
    IF it doesn't foul the barrel, I'll give you $100.00.

Deal????????

I'm absolutely certain that I won't be taking any $$$ out of my wallet.

The whole issue is lead (soft vs. hardcast), size of the slug (vs. size of bore), and velocity/heat build-up.

haoleboy

1/2 Banned
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 17, 2005
    Dentsville
    Right, SOMDSHOOT's rifled barrels are so caked with lead they act like a smooth bore. It's no wonder the sabots shoot all over the place.

BYF, I bet he won't take me up on my shooting competition offer either. :innocent0

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Ok so we have two exceptions to the theory. You say it leads your barrel. We'll go with it. I simply don't care. I don't use rifled slugs in my rifled barrels, so, it really doesn't matter to me. I can only back up 4 guns that have never seen sabot slugs and has never seen leading in the barrels from rifled slugs. Shooting 5 rounds and a barrel being caked with lead.... I'm simply not going to buy that claim. I'd have to see that for myself, but, since you already a bet on it I guess it wouldn't happen anyway. I'm walking away now.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Right, SOMDSHOOT's rifled barrels are so caked with lead they act like a smooth bore. It's no wonder the sabots shoot all over the place.

BYF, I bet he won't take me up on my shooting competition offer either. :innocent0

You're hilarious son. Simply hilarious. You've paid attention to very little beings said. But, yes we are all reading what you have to say. Carry on.

haoleboy

1/2 Banned
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 17, 2005
    Dentsville
    Ok so we have two exceptions to the theory. You say it leads your barrel. We'll go with it. I simply don't care. I don't use rifled slugs in my rifled barrels, so, it really doesn't matter to me. I can only back up 4 guns that have never seen sabot slugs and has never seen leading in the barrels from rifled slugs. Shooting 5 rounds and a barrel being caked with lead.... I'm simply not going to buy that claim. I'd have to see that for myself, but, since you already a bet on it I guess it wouldn't happen anyway. I'm walking away now.
    Are those smooth bore barrels? LOL
    Try using some lead solvent and see what comes out on your bore patch.

Knowing how accurate my sabots are, I wouldn't even attempt a deer shot over 40 yards with rifled slugs. They are about Minute of Pie Plate at best.

but Hey, if they work for you, more power to you. ;)

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Are those smooth bore barrels? LOL
    Try using some lead solvent and see what comes out on your bore patch.

Knowing how accurate my sabots are, I wouldn't even attempt a deer shot over 40 yards with rifled slugs. They are about Minute of Pie Plate at best.

but Hey, if they work for you, more power to you. ;)

Well if I ever start using rifled slugs in my guns... I'll let you know how it turns out on my guns.

haoleboy

1/2 Banned
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 17, 2005
    Dentsville
    Seriously, you don't have to buy the more expensive sabots. But at least call some ammo manufacturers and ask if you should be shooting a rifled slug from a smooth bore or rifled barrel for best accuracy.

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    Knowing how accurate my sabots are, I wouldn't even attempt a deer shot over 40 yards with rifled slugs.
    Not true for all. I poked holes in plenty of deer to 100 and a couple a hair past that with 7/8 oz sluggers. Shot about a baseball pattern with them consistantly. nowhere near touching my sabots with the 1187 cantalever barrel but damn good for what it was. breneke rotweils shot good out there too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom