• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    So, the lady running one of the Meetup groups I am a member of had multiple bad experiences with On Target so she's looking for a better range and does not want to go to MSAR. Any suggestions? I suggested Freestate, just wondering if there were others closer to DC inside Maryland.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I can say Freestate would be at the top of the list. And I live 10 minutes from Gilbert Indoor Range in Rockville.

Expensive and you must buy ammo from them to shoot. Recently there was a one box per customer limit.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Cresap is decent, but their hours suck due to low membership.

I have found the joys of shooting on private property in MD. A buddy has a 50 yard and 100 yard range for rifle/pistol that I am free to use anytime I wish. The cops cruise past once in a while, but never really stop or cause problems.

SigP226

Jul 22, 2011
    Youngsville, NC
    I can say Freestate would be at the top of the list. And I live 10 minutes from Gilbert Indoor Range in Rockville.

Expensive and you must buy ammo from them to shoot. Recently there was a one box per customer limit.

A little pricey maybe, but I've always had a good experience there and about a week ago, there were no one box restrictions. Maybe I was lucky.

BigBoiB

Jun 4, 2013
    MoCo, Md.... for now!
    Gilbert's is pricey but I've had nothing but good experiences there. Last time I was there, both 9 and .45 were $29 for a box (member pricing). The main problem I have is that they rarely seem to have 9mm in stock these days. When they do you're usually restricted to one or two boxes. I'm guessing that' based on how much inventory they have on hand. I've never seen a restriction on 40, 22 or 40.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Monocacy Pistol Club in Frederick. A private club with matches open to the public on weekends. Usually a 20 person waiting list to be a member. Also there is about a 20-25 member turnover at renewal time. Make a friend of one of the members and then you can come and shoot 363 possible days of the year.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28

I have found the joys of shooting on private property in MD. A buddy has a 50 yard and 100 yard range for rifle/pistol that I am free to use anytime I wish. The cops cruise past once in a while, but never really stop or cause problems.

Having the range outside your door can spoil one a little.:)

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Well, Virginia is huge so I'm sure I haven't found it yet. For now, I like the NRA range. I need to check out Sharpshooters.

Si vis pacem, para bellvm.

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    Gilbert's is pricey but I've had nothing but good experiences there. Last time I was there, both 9 and .45 were $29 for a box (member pricing). The main problem I have is that they rarely seem to have 9mm in stock these days. When they do you're usually restricted to one or two boxes. I'm guessing that' based on how much inventory they have on hand. I've never seen a restriction on 40, 22 or 40.

This is one of the big reasons that I'm no longer a member... a range where I can't shoot (or can only shoot a limited amount) is about as useful as **** on a bull. I was never a huge fan of the place anyway. There were far too many people with terrible gun safety habits (i.e., sweeping the room with their barrel with fingers on triggers) and no range officer to talk to correct people... that's a real bad combination. I spent more time scoping out my surroundings than I did on shooting. I was also tired of listening to the people behind the counter bad-mouthing Engage... I heard it twice, so I assume it was a regular thing.

BigBoiB

Jun 4, 2013
    MoCo, Md.... for now!
    This is one of the big reasons that I'm no longer a member... a range where I can't shoot (or can only shoot a limited amount) is about as useful as **** on a bull. I was never a huge fan of the place anyway. There were far too many people with terrible gun safety habits (i.e., sweeping the room with their barrel with fingers on triggers) and no range officer to talk to correct people... that's a real bad combination. I spent more time scoping out my surroundings than I did on shooting. I was also tired of listening to the people behind the counter bad-mouthing Engage... I heard it twice, so I assume it was a regular thing.

I am surprised to see that there really is not a safety officer ever present when I'm there. Luckily I go during the week around lunch time. The place is usually empty for the most part when I'm there. The ones that are there at that time are usualy LEO or security people doing qualifications. i'm not sure what it's like in the evenings or weekends.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church

I am surprised to see that there really is not a safety officer ever present when I'm there. Luckily I go during the week around lunch time. The place is usually empty for the most part when I'm there. The ones that are there at that time are usualy LEO or security people doing qualifications. i'm not sure what it's like in the evenings or weekends.

Yeah, you think they'd get an RSO after 2 suicides with a rented gun and numerous incidents of security guards shooting themselves by accident...

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    Yeah, you think they'd get an RSO after 2 suicides with a rented gun and numerous incidents of security guards shooting themselves by accident...

I hadn't heard about the guards shooting themselves, but it doesn't surprise me at all. They are some of the worst with gun safety... So damned casual about their guns and gun safety. The only thing worse than the security guards was one time a guy two lanes down from me started tickling his GF while she was shooting. WTF!?!?

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    I hadn't heard about the guards shooting themselves, but it doesn't surprise me at all. They are some of the worst with gun safety... So damned casual about their guns and gun safety. The only thing worse than the security guards was one time a guy two lanes down from me started tickling his GF while she was shooting. WTF!?!?

I would have called a ceasefire on that ********...

It sounds as bad as I remember MSAR being 6-7 years ago.

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011

I have the same impressions. Too dangerous for me to shoot there anymore.
    When there is nobody there it's not that bad which isn't saying much.

Hap Baker is worth the drive.

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member

There's really not much offered in the way of a membership, it's more of a public range, and it's usually very crowded. The problem is that they cannot get enough volunteers to man the range; one of the guys there was asking me if I was interested when I was talking with him. He said they have a real shortage of volunteers. They do a good job running it when it's open....a safe place to shoot.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    There's really not much offered in the way of a membership, it's more of a public range, and it's usually very crowded. The problem is that they cannot get enough volunteers to man the range; one of the guys there was asking me if I was interested when I was talking with him. He said they have a real shortage of volunteers. They do a good job running it when it's open....a safe place to shoot.

As long as their hours are solely Sunday 10-3...they won't get new members in droves. Expansion of public hours is what will get them more volunteers, IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom