• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigalf

Apr 1, 2012
    Fort Meade
    hello shooters
    I have a Mossberg 500 with a slug barrel on it and I plan to get a scope for it soon. figuring out what scope to get is a whole other can of worms. I'm open to suggestions but my main question is am I better off using the receiver tapped and a picitinni rail or go with a saddlemount? gun will be smug fun for deer.
    thanks

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    If your gun is drilled and tapped already, just use whatever mount fits that pattern. No need to complicate things/add the bulk of a saddle mount if you don't need to.

Vandy

Feb 27, 2007
    Churchton, MD
    I would avoid a saddle mount if there is any other option. I have tried to use them on both a Remington and a Winchester and neither worked well. Granted that was years ago and they may have improved, but if the receiver is tapped, I would definitely go that route.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Your Mossberg should already bee drilled and tapped for a scope base. I have a one piece scope base here somewhere I had on my Mossberg 500 12 Ga. If it is still in my box you can have it. Just PM me and let me know if you still one. Or you can buy one cheap from ebay for about $8.00 like this one HERE

Actually nevermind I just found the package for the scope base and I see my note says that I put it on a CVA Frontier .50 muzzleloader I had and that is gone. Sorry I can't help on that base.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    The saddle mounts work fine if you use blue loctite and don't overtighten the screws since you'll squeeze the receiver and that screws everything up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom