• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Got lucky in the marsh yesterday morning on a 6 pt Sika Stag.

2013-10-17_09-24-06_498_zps8c7b4d70.jpg

Awesome! I wanna bag a sikka deer period!

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Looks like the weather is going to be nice for the rest of the week now that this front has passed. I would have been out there this morning but I have some business to attend to this morning that's priority over hunting. However the rest of the week is mine. Good luck to you.

No luck this morning, corn still there, got pretty fridged around 5:30. Just got back to Severn, now lunch and then head to Waldorf/White plains for round two. Good luck to you.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    No luck this morning, corn still there, got pretty fridged around 5:30. Just got back to Severn, now lunch and then head to Waldorf/White plains for round two. Good luck to you.

This afternoon might be good for you. Charles County is covered in Deer and I have been seeing a lot more Bucks tan Does over the past few months. I know White Plains and Pomfret are covered with Deer everywhere. I'll be back out this afternoon. Fridays and Sundays are extremely busy here for me. Everybody wants their CB Radio repaired when they are off work and I'm here for them. I can always hunt the other days.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Got lucky in the marsh yesterday morning on a 6 pt Sika Stag.

2013-10-17_09-24-06_498_zps8c7b4d70.jpg

Same stag, first pic taken when I walked up to him.

2013-10-17_09-19-42_365_zps987e8242.jpg

cool I wish I had got one of those when I lived there...I only went a couple times and I think I saw one 200+yds away but didn't see any close. They taste good though.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    cool I wish I had got one of those when I lived there...I only went a couple times and I think I saw one 200+yds away but didn't see any close. They taste good though.

Someone needs to transplant a few here in Southern Maryland. I'll trade 100 Turkey for 10 Sika.

danielw

Nov 4, 2008
    middle river md
    I got 38 acres near fork. I saw a bunch of does in the morning, didn't shoot gonna try tonight since it was pretty bright last night I didn't go out this morning probley go out around 5 tonight I've seen a few decent sized bucks walking around this summer. the back of my property backs up to gunpower so they'll be there for a while. A bow hunter in the park might get a shot if he's lucky or good.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    they aren't anymore destructive than deer...I don't know why they don't...prob all the rednecks down in SO MD would shoot them before they could get a stable population going:innocent0:lol2:;)

I don't know man Us rednecks down here in Southern By Gawd Merlund are pretty far and few between these days. We do have a good selection of city folk come this way 2 weeks out of the entire year though. I don't know how much redneck is still in me, but, there's certain things people do that baffle me.

Attachments

• redneck_emoticon.gif
      redneck_emoticon.gif
      17.1 KB · Views: 183

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    2 small doe I passed on, saw 2 foxes and counted 20 turkeys...going back out tonight.

Passed on Does ? Nah. A few years ago maybe, but, Does being 10 per season and Unlimited for Bow now I shoot whatever fills up the freezer that walks by. Actually I don't care what walks by. If it has spots it shall pass. All others are down.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    It was pretty cold and windy as all Hell. I didn't see anything in the crosshairs this AM except a turkey and I had to let him go; .50cal muzzy wouldn't have left much bird to roast anyways!

It was rather windy out this morning. I remember thinking I was almost glad I didn't go. Of course wind doesn't stop a Deer from roaming, but, it just makes the overall hunt a little less than enjoyable.

I prefer a slight breeze over dead calm, but, breezy / windy is just no good.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Passed on Does ? Nah. A few years ago maybe, but, Does being 10 per season and Unlimited for Bow now I shoot whatever fills up the freezer that walks by. Actually I don't care what walks by. If it has spots it shall pass. All others are down.

Does we're early, like 7:15am early. We only eat 3-4 deer a year so early in the year I get a little picky. Also the land owner hasn't stepped into the woods yet this year, so was trying to not take something before he did (will be out tomorrow).

With that said....stepping out again now.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Does we're early, like 7:15am early. We only eat 3-4 deer a year so early in the year I get a little picky. Also the land owner hasn't stepped into the woods yet this year, so was trying to not take something before he did (will be out tomorrow).

With that said....stepping out again now.

10-4 I understand on the being picky thing. I use to be that way myself when I was younger. Always wanted to see a nice buck first. These days I shoot whatever comes along. I've never been an "antler" hunter, but, since there's all of next week and plenty of Bow hunting for Doe they can pass. They don't pass on my farm though. They like the rest of them. I don't know that the jerky is any better, but, it turns out brown regardless.

I'm heading out of here in a few myself for the afternoon gambling myself. I'm going to try to win the lottery from placing my bets on what side of the farm they are on today.

llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member
    It was rather windy out this morning. I remember thinking I was almost glad I didn't go. Of course wind doesn't stop a Deer from roaming, but, it just makes the overall hunt a little less than enjoyable.

I prefer a slight breeze over dead calm, but, breezy / windy is just no good.

It was like 12-15mph sustained, gusting ~25mph and on pressured public land, they don't hardly seem to roam along the trails I sit on to watch(despite lots of sign). Like you noted, a little wind or precipitation can be good for hunting AND fishing but you can easily have too much of a good thing. Had weather.com accurately forecasted the winds where I was, I likely wouldn't have even gone out.

A little personal discomfort in terms of rain, cold and wind are to be expected but past are the majority of my days suffering horrible conditions just for a negligible shot at success.

cpc1027

Jun 25, 2010
    Sparks
    Sitting in the stand now waiting for a 6 point to expire. He was a little small but the property owner said "get out here and get rid of these deer!"

Sent from an overpriced and over-rated camera/internet browser that can be used as a telephone in an emergency.

Edit: Turns out he was an 8 point, and a decent size. I missed two tines in the dimming light, and I misjudged the size through the underbrush.

Last edited:

boss66tcode

a bit of an Eddie Haskle
    Sep 8, 2008
    in 'da hills
    Went out today, but on public land. As I got in place I heard a deer grunt/snort to the north but couldn't get a visual.

Two other hunters, neither of which were wearing orange, stroll by making more noise than frat boys doing a bar crawl.
    1 other sees my position and sets up within visual range.

The one who set up near me has the nads to get up an leave during the last half hour of daylight.

I need to find more time during the summer to scout more private land.

Lot's of shooting, but no one taking out deer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom