• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Defense Rifle

Jul 1, 2016
    NC
    Its a common sense bill right?

Except who are they to tell any citizen how they must store anything in their home... Its called private property for a reason..

Is there anything specified in the bill over routine check to verify you're conditions for storage?

I did not see anything in this bill regarding that. However, this bill does lay the groundwork for future legislation on the government doing 'safety checks' at your house, and the only probable cause they would need is that they see you have an HQL, or own guns in MD, they can also verify whether you have minors living in the household.

A lot of gun control moves are done incrementally.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I did not see anything in this bill regarding that. However, this bill does lay the groundwork for future legislation on the government doing 'safety checks' at your house, and the only probable cause they would need is that they see you have an HQL or own guns in MD.

In order for police to engage a citizen in public, there has to be reasonable articulable suspicion that person has committed, is committing, or is about to commit a crime. That bar will be set much higher in the home. Home and hearth has some sacredness to it in the law. This will not fly.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    It will always be Unconstitutional. Always.

Not if "voluntary" inspections get tied to gaining or maintaining a Government-issued privilege, such as professional licenses, building permits, driver licenses, etc. Is that overly paranoid and unlikely to happen? Probably. But tying voluntary waivers of privacy in that way has been going on for a while. Drug testing and drunk driver checkpoints are examples. And ask anyone with a home daycare provider license how intrusive that process can be, often well beyond what's actually required to guarantee safety.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Not if "voluntary" inspections get tied to gaining or maintaining a Government-issued privilege, such as professional licenses, building permits, driver licenses, etc. Is that overly paranoid and unlikely to happen? Probably. But tying voluntary waivers of privacy in that way has been going on for a while. ...

Or, anyone with an FFL.

Which is my Father always resisted my pleadings we “get an FFL!”

I was like 9 and he told me years later that, even though he chuckled to my face, inside he was like, “Jeeezous H Cripes, what normal 9yoa clamors for an FFL?! ;)

He was DIA and then we don’t know who he really worked for but the man had an intense hatred for the BATF.

And, I DO mean an INTENSE hatred!

Adolph Oliver Bush

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 13, 2015
    Is there anything specified in the bill over routine check to verify you're conditions for storage?

No. But search "police community caretaking doctrine" and extrapolate.

And a beef about something else that was said upthread. The youth hunter safety carveout only applies to the gun, not to the ammo.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    When I was a kid my Father's "gun safe" consisted of a corner of his closet and his top dresser drawer. I got a 22 rifle at 9 and it was in my room. My Father taught me gun safety and responsability at a young age. That is the key, not gun locks, padlocks or safes.

Yep.

My kids learned gun safety (the real thing, not the Bloomberg version) at a very early age. They started shooting at 4-5 years of age. Hell, both my kids were shooting machine guns by the time they were 12. I could leave a loaded gun on the coffee table and know they wouldn’t touch it. The “rules” are something they could recite in their sleep at a very early age. THIS is gun safety.

Well said gentlemen

Gilo

Jan 20, 2019
    I feel like they are making common sense a law. minors should never have access to your guns, even if they know how to use them. There has to be some cases where minors got a hold of their parent's guns, just as there were cases of people using hair dryers in the tub. Lock your toys up.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I did not see anything in this bill regarding that. However, this bill does lay the groundwork for future legislation on the government doing 'safety checks' at your house, and the only probable cause they would need is that they see you have an HQL, or own guns in MD, they can also verify whether you have minors living in the household.

Yeah no f’ing “safety check” will happen in my house without a warrant. These people can go fvck themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I feel like they are making common sense a law. minors should never have access to your guns, even if they know how to use them. There has to be some cases where minors got a hold of their parent's guns, just as there were cases of people using hair dryers in the tub. Lock your toys up.

If that’s the case, why don’t they pass common sense legislation saying you can’t drive over 50, you can only own one gun, you can’t have more than one drink per day. The “common sense” argument from the government is complete and total bullsh*t.......for anything.
    No. Just no. It’s none of the government’s business. Using that argument they’ll never stop infringing on your rights.

Gilo

Jan 20, 2019
    Well if you put it that way.......
    If that’s the case, why don’t they pass common sense legislation saying you can’t drive over 50, you can only own one gun, you can’t have more than one drink per day. The “common sense” argument from the government is complete and total bullsh*t.......for anything.
    No. Just no. It’s none of the government’s business. Using that argument they’ll never stop infringing on your rights.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Are there any requirements for storing alcohol where a minor could not gain access?

No, but if they do, under certain circumstances you can get in trouble depending on the state laws involved. Usually you could face civil liability. Seems about right if a minor accesses your guns and does something bad with them. Having access isn’t the problem to me. Then doing something bad with them is. Means the responsible adult made a poor decision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom