• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    We've read the law, have you? Antiques are not mentioned, nor are they a part of the definition of rifle/shotgun in the state statute.

Yes, in fact I did read the original draft of Senate Bill 0208 of 2020, which is what I was referring to. The definition of "rifle" in §4-201 of the Criminal Law Article was included by reference in the original language of bill. It defines "rifle" as:
    (e) "Rifle" means a weapon that is:

(1) designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder; and

(2) designed or redesigned, and made or remade to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed metallic cartridge to fire only a single projectile through a rifled bore for each single pull of the trigger.​

That functional definition does not exclude pre-1898 cartridge guns from its scope. There are several sections of MD law that use that definition of rifle (and the similar one for shotgun), but then go on to specifically exempt "Antique Firearms", as also defined in §4-201. SB0208 of 2020, as introduced, did not.

smkranz

Certified Caveman
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2013
    Carroll County
    Antiques are NOT C&R, nor are replicas of them, a flintlock is classified as an antique and thus the law does not apply.

Oops, sorry for any mis-information.

NRA Life ∙ MSI ∙ MD Designated Collector ∙ Certified Beer & Mead Judge

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Yes, in fact I did read the original draft of Senate Bill 0208 of 2020, which is what I was referring to. The definition of "rifle" in §4-201 of the Criminal Law Article was included by reference in the original language of bill. It defines "rifle" as:

(1) designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder; and

(2) designed or redesigned, and made or remade to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed metallic cartridge to fire only a single projectile through a rifled bore for each single pull of the trigger.​

That functional definition does not exclude pre-1898 cartridge guns from its scope. There are several sections of MD law that use that definition of rifle (and the similar one for shotgun), but then go on to specifically exempt "Antique Firearms", as also defined in §4-201. SB0208 of 2020, as introduced, did not.

Then you also need to read 4-201(b)

(b) Antique firearm. -- "Antique firearm" means:

(1) a firearm, including a firearm with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar ignition system, manufactured before 1899; or

(2) a replica of a firearm described in item (1) of this subsection that:

(i) is not designed or redesigned to use rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition; or

(ii) uses rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition that is no longer manufactured in the United States and is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade.

Clearly subsection (b) clearly defines antiques and are NOT covered by the bill as was stated previously.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    Then you also need to read 4-201(b)

(b) Antique firearm. -- "Antique firearm" means:

(1) a firearm, including a firearm with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar ignition system, manufactured before 1899; or

(2) a replica of a firearm described in item (1) of this subsection that:

(i) is not designed or redesigned to use rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition; or

(ii) uses rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition that is no longer manufactured in the United States and is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade.

Clearly subsection (b) clearly defines antiques and are NOT covered by the bill as was stated previously.

There is at least one attorney who I spoke with when putting together testimony against the bill who disagrees with your assessment. An object can fall under more than one defined category. The bill affected anything that fit the definition of "rifle" but failed to exempt something that may have fit the definition of "antique" in addition to fitting the definition of "rifle". Therefore for the purposes of the bill, a pre-1898 cartridge-loaded, shoulder-held long gun with a rifled barrel would be treated as a "rifle".

Last edited:

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

And now we need double rifles and double shotguns that use a single trigger to fire both barrels.

BOOM! No longer covered by the law :D

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    There is at least one attorney who I spoke with when putting together testimony against the bill who disagrees with your assessment. An object can fall under more than one defined category. The bill affected anything that fit the definition of "rifle" but failed to exempt something that may have fit the definition of "antique" in addition to fitting the definition of "rifle". Therefore for the purposes of the bill, a pre-1898 cartridge-loaded, shoulder-held long gun with a rifled barrel would be treated as a "rifle".

While yes an item can fall into several categories if they are defined that way in different sections, when they are defined one way in subsection (b) that same item cannot then be defined another way in subsection (e) of the same statute. It is either item (b) or it is item (e) of the same statute, it cannot be both.

Raineman

On the 3rd box
    Dec 27, 2008
    Eldersburg
    I haven’t read the entire thread, sorry if this question has been addressed...

Can transfers be done at a MSP barrack? If not, why not?

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland

Trooper I asked at Golden Ring had no idea what I was talking about...He said I had to go online and do the application and bring PIN and APP numbers with me...so clearly he thinks they are the same process as handguns.

I've done one at Blue Fins, in Dundalk, and it was relatively easy. Basically the same as if you bought the long gun from them...Fill out the 4473, they call in, and get "Proceed" or "Delay" back immediately. 25 bucks for MDS members.

FWIW, this was the same prick who appears that he hates his job, insisted I needed to show him my collector letter, and was sure that I was not allowed to buy more than one firearm every 30 days... so, I wasn't going to debate with him.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

Short answer = no

Short reason = not written in the statute for them to do, plus licensing division is the only NICS portal for MSP, it would require MSP to set up a way to do so from each barracks.

Raineman

On the 3rd box
    Dec 27, 2008
    Eldersburg
    Short answer = no

Short reason = not written in the statute for them to do, plus licensing division is the only NICS portal for MSP, it would require MSP to set up a way to do so from each barracks.

Then I think this issue should be pushed. If the infringement is going to be complied with.

Thanks dblas.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Then I think this issue should be pushed. If the infringement is going to be complied with.

Thanks dblas.

If they don't make it convenient and inexpensive how do they expect people to play their silly games? I'm not inclined to want to waste another $25-$50 buying a rifle or shotgun from somebody.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

Thanks dblas.

No problem brother.

Looks like we need to write up an amendment to the bill for next year. Not sure the issue was brought up last year when the bill was entered, and this year it was pretty much impossible to do a bill to amend this one, since the veto over ride was on the table and it wasn't enacted yet, and didn't become effective until after crossover.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    No problem brother.

Looks like we need to write up an amendment to the bill for next year. Not sure the issue was brought up last year when the bill was entered, and this year it was pretty much impossible to do a bill to amend this one, since the veto over ride was on the table and it wasn't enacted yet, and didn't become effective until after crossover.

$10 from any barracks seems like the way to go. And I agree, if they are going to force it, they should also provide the service.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    If I understand the situation correctly, there is no de facto long gun registry; the only contact is with an FFL, who presumably does a NICS check. It would be a huge, expensive PITA for the state to get all that data in a database.

Once MSP gets looped in, the state has an easily accessible record of your long gun purchase.

I don't see any reason to make it easier for the pond scum in Annapolis to know what I've purchased.

Raineman

On the 3rd box
    Dec 27, 2008
    Eldersburg
    Bob A, long guns aren’t regulated, so MSP should not need to have ANY information on the firearm and should only run a NICS instead of the other 453 that they do, and no waiting.

I guess it could be a can of worms, but...federal law...and additional work for them.

And I still don’t believe they don’t keep track now.

SPQM

May 21, 2014
    The real mission of this isn't to make us safer -- long guns are like 3% of all murders in MD.

The real mission is to frustrate people -- As attractive as it is to get a 20" HBAR AR in A2 style for only $750, I don't feel like having to coordinate meeting up at a FFL or MSP Barracks just to do a transfer.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    If they don't make it convenient and inexpensive how do they expect people to play their silly games? I'm not inclined to want to waste another $25-$50 buying a rifle or shotgun from somebody.

I’m not inclined to recognize this as a law.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom