Starting to plan my escape to WV...how's Martinsburg?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sbmike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2011
    Almost Heaven, WV
    Are you kidding me? I know it is a hike, but why don't you look at the Ranson location, near me?

:thumbsup::thumbsup: I used Ransom to get all my stuff (and me) registered when I first moved out here and while there was a minor wait, it took far less time than anything I ever experienced in MD. Heck, it took me more time to turn my old tags into MD DMV than it did to get new ones at WV DMV! :) And now, I do renewals online. Easy-peasy,

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I used Ransom to get all my stuff (and me) registered when I first moved out here and while there was a minor wait, it took far less time than anything I ever experienced in MD. Heck, it took me more time to turn my old tags into MD DMV than it did to get new ones at WV DMV! :) And now, I do renewals online. Easy-peasy,
    The Tuesday after Thanksgiving 2018, I walked in to the Ranson branch and was out of there in less than 30 minutes with my new license.

I didn't even have time to finish writing my last name on the application, before I was called up to the window.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I'll be on Monday late afternoon/early evening after my house closing at 1300HRS. I'll have some Mothman with me.

I'll check all of the other offices too. Now, for tags on a car, I can make an appointment for later this month. Just licensing services are backed up until February.
    So, when can I start having stuff sent to your house? 2:

Oh man, you really don't have any idea of how things work in WV do you?

The majority of registered Dems in the state are old-timer Byrd Democrats. Legitimate blue-collar Dems (the kind that don't really exist elsewhere anymore) that are redder than most of the Republicans on this board.

Promises to keep the mines open wouldn't sway things. Most of the southern coalfield Dems are well past retirement age and they had 30+ years of hearing Dems make promises about mining jobs that they never kept, ever. Which is why, when Clinton failed to stop steel dumping and coal dumping by foreign powers, shuttering foundries, mills, and mines across the country, but especially in WV, the state swung red for W. and has been red for 20 years. The only other run by a party in presidential elections in WV that long was when Roosevelt and Truman were in office. The state saw nothing but ruin from Clinton and Obama, they've seen nothing but progress under Reagan, Bush, W, and Trump.

What's more, Appalachians, but specifically West Virginians are extremely suspicious of anyone coming in and promising anything AT ALL. We're a colony, not a state, so we don't trust anyone who says "I'm from the government, I'm here to help" which is what the Democrat line has been for the past 20 years.

It's not swinging blue anytime soon. Manchin is only a Democrat because of the UMWA vote which he needs to succeed in the southern are of the state.

Just wait..Joe Manchin will tow the anti gun line when the next AWB comes up for a vote..you underestimate the power of threats from Schumer and the other senior Dems in the Senate. His only escape would be to switch parties and that's not going to happen.

sbmike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2011
    Almost Heaven, WV
    His only escape would be to switch parties and that's not going to happen.

I'm not so sure about that. Manchin in an opportunist and with the number of dem losses here in WV this past election, I'm sure he sees the hand-writing on the wall when he comes up for reelection in two years. It might not happen immediately, but as the next election creeps closer, he'll manage to keep the green grass in front of him, regardless of party, when it comes to his need to stay in office.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    I'm not so sure about that. Manchin in an opportunist and with the number of dem losses here in WV this past election, I'm sure he sees the hand-writing on the wall when he comes up for reelection in two years. It might not happen immediately, but as the next election creeps closer, he'll manage to keep the green grass in front of him, regardless of party, when it comes to his need to stay in office.

Yep. The old southern coalfield Dems are dying off. There's really not enough of them to pull for him anymore. He took a bath with the last AWB push during the Obama administration and people around WV remember his turncoat ways with that one. Sure, it was guaranteed not to pass by the time he solidified his vote, he's a weasel, but he's a weasel that's just smart enough to catch the scent of trouble and stay out ahead of it.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    My brother has two land plots of 5 or 6 acres each in Springfield W.V. He wants to sell me one of them.

My ancestors started that town. Donated 100 acres of land which, along with a and act of decree by the VA General Assembly created the town of Springfield.

Abernathy run is named for the family. I forget how many thousands of acres William Sr. Had there by the time he passed, but it was a lot.

wb3jma

Nov 15, 2020
    Belcamp, MD Harford County
    Just got through reading this and had me wondering of late if it had not been a mistake to give up the deeded property outside Berkley Springs up on the Mountain of Rte 9 outside Great Cacapon. We had 5 acres and spent my youth every summer riding a motorcycle and shooting of great gobs of ammo. But my late Father did not keep up the trailer which had fallen apart and the property did not pass a perc test anyway when my parents had bought it. The cost of living difference did not impress me enough compared to say like Texas to reconsider keeping it at the time after he died but I do remember with fondness how helpful the County bureaucracy was in Berkley Springs compared to the nightmare Maryland's would have been had I been forced to settle his affairs here instead of WV. However lately I have been less than impressed with the Republicans to stave off a a calculated insurgence of Blue Locusts voters to Texas and it and started wondering where I should settle in another 14 years.

EHS1976

Mar 28, 2013
    USA
    Buy a place in Jefferson County! We need to get more pro-2A voters in this area to keep this area represented by pro-2A WV state representatives and senators. I moved here in 2019, and it is filling up with hippies.

sbmike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2011
    Almost Heaven, WV
    Buy a place in Jefferson County! We need to get more pro-2A voters in this area to keep this area represented by pro-2A WV state representatives and senators. I moved here in 2019, and it is filling up with hippies.

Hopefully, the majority of the hippies are transient in nature while they attend Shepherd University in Shepherdstown (Jefferson County). Our Republican state representatives easily kept their seats this past election and I believe we may have actually picked up one or two more.

EHS1976

Mar 28, 2013
    USA
    Hopefully, the majority of the hippies are transient in nature while they attend Shepherd University in Shepherdstown (Jefferson County). Our Republican state representatives easily kept their seats this past election and I believe we may have actually picked up one or two more.

I wish. I see a lot of them driving around in their Subarus with WV plates. They probably came from MD or VA and vote for the same failed blue-state policies in WV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom